Ireland, west side........

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thinking of going for a week next year, but where's best?

Originally fancied a week around Cork in a cottage, but hardly any coming up.

Kenmare, Ring of Kerry (ooer), and Killarney looks nice.

Tralee, Limerick or any other recommendations?

Need nice walks, prefer by the sea but as long as reasonably close to a town for a few ales, good golf and things to do.:thup:

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Limerick isn't called stab city for no reason :(
Lots of nice villages close by, but personally would avoid Limerick having lived there for a few years.

What about somewhere like Dingle out on the coast, close to Tralee, Ring of Kerry, Ballybunion, Killarney etc - lovely part of the world.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
We went to Ballyvaughan just outside Galway. Great big 6 bed house on Galway Bay. Bloody loved it. Not far from Lahinch either.

Oh, and Galway city is one of the best nights out anywhere.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Went to Galway last month and stayed in Salthill , cracking place to stay 5 mins from Galway itself. Killarney is a cracking place as well went there last year and loved it every night is saturday night there.

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Going to Kenmare next year with friends who've been before, supposed to be very scenic with plenty of golf courses. Portumna in Galway is nice. Limerick is awful.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Stayed in Waterville a few years ago. Lovely village, close to Dingle and the Ring of Kerry and a very good golf course on the doorstep.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just for a separate (golfing) holiday to what I've mentioned earlier, where would you stay if doing the following:-

Carne, Enniscrone, Rosapenna, County Sligo.

I reckon I'd fly into Derry or Knock, but if you where playing the above 4 courses, where would be a good centralish hub? Sligo looks ok from the online tourist video, but dont seem to be many other decent sized town around there, not that we need a big town/city as Portrush was a lovely little town.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just for a separate (golfing) holiday to what I've mentioned earlier, where would you stay if doing the following:-

I reckon I'd fly into Derry or Knock, but if you where playing the above 4 courses, where would be a good centralish hub? Sligo looks ok from the online tourist video, but dont seem to be many other decent sized town around there, not that we need a big town/city as Portrush was a lovely little town.

That's a lot of driving between Rosapenna and Carne, approx 3h 45mins at a guess.

As much as I'm a fan of Rosapenna if I was coming over to play the other courses your looking to play I would fly into Derry then, obviously flight time dependant, drive down and play Co Donegal (Murvagh) then head down to Sligo, stay in Sligo, play Co Sligo and if you fancy another game in that neck of the woods you could do a lot worse than Strandhill which is not of the stature of the other places your looking to play but a very good golf course as well and very much a hidden gem.

Then make your way down and stay in Enniscrone, we stayed there in May I think it was and it was a great night out with all the bars busy and a really good atmosphere so in summer would be even busier.

Play Enniscrone and use it as a base to play Carne as well, roughly an hour out to Carne from Enniscrone and back obviously before making your way back up to Derry to fly home or if you've another day or two then from Derry you could go to Rosapenna and play both courses if it's really somewhere you want to include in the trip.

That way or even do Rosapenna first then make way down to Co Donegal etc would be my advice but as you've already experienced a little sample of the road network over here when you went to Ballyliffin don't be fooled by distances between places as it takes a hell of a lot longer on the west coast of Ireland to travel 50 miles or so than it does over there on the mainland.

If you are planning a trip over and I can help with any advice just shout.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I did exactly that trip a few years ago. We flew into Dublin and picked up a car then drove right out to Carne. Played there the following day then drove back and stayed in Ballina for a couple of nights and played Enniscrone and Co Sligo. Then we motored up the coast and played Co Donegal then stayed at the hotel at Rosapenna before playing both courses there. Finished with a night in Ballyliffin, 2 rounds there then drove back to Dublin. You will probably have to move around to play those courses as there is a fair distance between them but some world class courses so def worth the effort!

Regarding courses, in order I would rate them Carne/Enniscrone, Rosapenna (Sandy Hills) Sligo/Donegal then Rosapenna (Tom Morris)

You have my number if you need any more advice :thup:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends what you at after. I'm assuming you prefer a base for a week and branch out from there rather than hop around. Staying near Ballina will offer Enniscrone, Carne, County Sligo, Strandhill within an hour's drive and a wee bit further pulls in County Sligo. Plenty of good walks. Ballina has plenty of good places to drink and offers some fine salmon fishing. Or consider moving closer towards Sligo, Rosses point area for example and get holiday let. Bring Strandhill and County Sligo to short drives. Murvagh and Enniscrone within an hour's drive and Carne is still an option if the drive doesn't put you off.

Fly into Knock or Shannon rather than Dublin or Derry for the Sligo/mayo options.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's a lot of driving between Rosapenna and Carne, approx 3h 45mins at a guess.

As much as I'm a fan of Rosapenna if I was coming over to play the other courses your looking to play I would fly into Derry then, obviously flight time dependant, drive down and play Co Donegal (Murvagh) then head down to Sligo, stay in Sligo, play Co Sligo and if you fancy another game in that neck of the woods you could do a lot worse than Strandhill which is not of the stature of the other places your looking to play but a very good golf course as well and very much a hidden gem.

Then make your way down and stay in Enniscrone, we stayed there in May I think it was and it was a great night out with all the bars busy and a really good atmosphere so in summer would be even busier.

Play Enniscrone and use it as a base to play Carne as well, roughly an hour out to Carne from Enniscrone and back obviously before making your way back up to Derry to fly home or if you've another day or two then from Derry you could go to Rosapenna and play both courses if it's really somewhere you want to include in the trip.

That way or even do Rosapenna first then make way down to Co Donegal etc would be my advice but as you've already experienced a little sample of the road network over here when you went to Ballyliffin don't be fooled by distances between places as it takes a hell of a lot longer on the west coast of Ireland to travel 50 miles or so than it does over there on the mainland.

If you are planning a trip over and I can help with any advice just shout.

Thanks Smange, at the very basic planning stage at the mo, but as ever, local forum knowledge trumps all.

I did exactly that trip a few years ago. We flew into Dublin and picked up a car then drove right out to Carne. Played there the following day then drove back and stayed in Ballina for a couple of nights and played Enniscrone and Co Sligo. Then we motored up the coast and played Co Donegal then stayed at the hotel at Rosapenna before playing both courses there. Finished with a night in Ballyliffin, 2 rounds there then drove back to Dublin. You will probably have to move around to play those courses as there is a fair distance between them but some world class courses so def worth the effort!

Regarding courses, in order I would rate them Carne/Enniscrone, Rosapenna (Sandy Hills) Sligo/Donegal then Rosapenna (Tom Morris)

You have my number if you need any more advice :thup:

Bugger, was going to be asking you if you fancied it, didnt know you'd done all of these.

Depends what you at after. I'm assuming you prefer a base for a week and branch out from there rather than hop around. Staying near Ballina will offer Enniscrone, Carne, County Sligo, Strandhill within an hour's drive and a wee bit further pulls in County Sligo. Plenty of good walks. Ballina has plenty of good places to drink and offers some fine salmon fishing. Or consider moving closer towards Sligo, Rosses point area for example and get holiday let. Bring Strandhill and County Sligo to short drives. Murvagh and Enniscrone within an hour's drive and Carne is still an option if the drive doesn't put you off.

Fly into Knock or Shannon rather than Dublin or Derry for the Sligo/mayo options.

Sorry just noticed the second post is about a specific golf holiday as well so ignore my post. 

Thanks Bob.

The first bit of advice requested may be for a family holiday early next year, with just 1-2 courses taken in.

The second was for a possible 4 day trip next summer, if it works out.

We've basically split NI/Eire into 4-5 areas with regards to trying to get in the top 100 over the coming years. We did a few of the NI ones this November, and the Rosapenna/Carne/Enniscrone/ County Sligo would be another ideal one, maybe lough erne also. That would leave the south west as another area and Kinsale/Waterford and the Dublin course as another 1-2 trips. We did the K club, Druids a few years ago, so just trying to do certain areas in one hit.