Info SW Ireland trip

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello guys,

I need some more help from you since I have booked a trip with my dad in the SW of Ireland for this Summer :)

We have already booked the following courses:
  • Waterville (afternoon)
  • Dooks (morning)
  • Ballybunion (morning)
  • Tralee (morning)

We will stay in Killarney so we will have 3 nights to spend in the area and also a couple of afternoons (especially on the 3rd day since the BB tee time is pretty early). Do you have any recommendation for any good, restaurant, shops or something to do or visit after golf in the area? Also, would it be ok to see the Ring of Kerry in one afternoon? Maybe it gets really busy in the Summer?

I have never been to that part of Ireland so any little tip would be much appreciated!
Thank you for your help
iMak

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
We were there in October and stayed in Killarney , food and drink wise there's Murphys Bar and Hotel the guys in there are superb. Scotts Bar and The Grand are great places, you'll love it there the people are very friendly. We played Dooks and its one if not the friendliest clubs I've played from the members, Pro and bar staff all superb. Tralee and Waterville are amazing , we didn't see much of The Ring Of Kerry as it hammering down with rain

3puttpercy

Visit site
We were there in October and stayed in Killarney , food and drink wise there's Murphys Bar and Hotel the guys in there are superb. Scotts Bar and The Grand are great places, you'll love it there the people are very friendly. We played Dooks and its one if not the friendliest clubs I've played from the members, Pro and bar staff all superb. Tralee and Waterville are amazing , we didn't see much of The Ring Of Kerry as it hammering down with rain
Tralee is a fantastic course
Stayed in Tralee for two weeks played it at 7am for 8 mornings amazing.
If you do manage the ring of Kerry ,Dingle is a must for a visit.
It is where they filmed "Ryans Daughter"

Hope you and your dad have a great time.

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Thank you for the reply Steve! :)

makaveli

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Back from the trip, I have been incredibly lucky since we found just 4 holes of rain (at Dooks) on all 4 courses :) here is a short review of the courses I have played.

Waterville: probably the best of all, we played at 4pm after a competition and we had the whole course for ourselves. I don't think I have seen any weak hole and the finishing stretch is just fantastic, probably on the top 5 of my favorites! Only bad thing was the guy in the hut that was supposed to be the caddie master/starter, I've asked him a trolley and I think he was expecting a tip (maybe since there are a lot of Americans) and when he realized I was not going to pay him he just went in the hut and he not even went on the tee to let us start. Anyway, I would play it again in a heartbeat! 9/10

Dooks: nice little course with great views, great welcoming staff as well. Maybe the back nine are not as exciting as the front 9 but I learned Dooks used to be a 9 holes course. 7/10

Ballybunion: very hyped atmosphere and mainly American players. There are some fantastic holes but imho too weak and uninspiring ones. It's a good course to experience once, but I would play Waterville over BB any day. Btw, we had a club sandwich and was terrible... 8/10

Tralee: we played Tralee at 6:50 because we had a plane to catch so we had the course all for ourselves with just a couple of members in front of us. First nine are good with nice views and the 3rd is a fantastic par 3. The back 9 are just unreal, incredible views and approach shots but maybe a bit too crazy to play it again. 8,5/10

What do you think? do you agree? :)
Thank you for reading
Ciao
iMak

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
iMak i played 3 out the 4 in october last year we only managed 7 holes on Waterville as it was coming down in biblical proportions never played in rain like that before, it was a cracking course and we were gutted as we were looking forward to it the most. They have put there green fees up 50 euro since last year a crazy rise.

Dooks was my favourite club as it was the most friendly from the pro to the guy behind the bar and the course was well worth another visit but again they've put 40 euro on th green fee since last year.

Tralee was different class, the course was superb and the back 9 was amazing, the only thing was the starter wanted us to go out in a 4 ball as there was only 2 of us and he didn't like it when we said no 4 times and went away in the huff.

All in all a fantastic place to go golfing all tho its getting very expensive, we're Galway bound this year and the prices are not to bad. We booked our golf thru SWING and they were superb