South West Ireland Golf Trip.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tralee in the UK? Some Irish people would like a word, outside, please.

Each to their own, squire, but bring a mate. :D

It's my favourite (so far).

I loved RCD, but quite a few blind holes, Waterville was brill but took 3-4 to get going but got better and better.

Tralee has a great coastal, clifftop links feel for 1-9, then a great dunescape for the back 9, so like two types in one. Maybe because I didnt expect much, but thought we had played the best of it by 9, but the back 9 was even better.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

I loved RCD, but quite a few blind holes, Waterville was brill but took 3-4 to get going but got better and better.

Tralee has a great coastal, clifftop links feel for 1-9, then a great dunescape for the back 9, so like two types in one. Maybe because I didnt expect much, but thought we had played the best of it by 9, but the back 9 was even better.

Tralee is a great course, but is most definitely not in the UK. The area it is in would be especially unhappy to hear such a statement and the Gardai would have to sort out the result. Although some of them might join in too.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tralee is a great course, but is most definitely not in the UK. The area it is in would be especially unhappy to hear such a statement and the Gardai would have to sort out the result. Although some of them might join in too.

What do you personally base your opinion on, as we all have things that appeal differently to others?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
What do you personally base your opinion on, as we all have things that appeal differently to others?

If you mean opinions on golf courses, RCD is my fave because it is a great test but playable, it has some nice movement in the land, natural features, I don't mind blind holes. My favourite hole is the 13th or 15th. The turf is springy, the green form and decent speed, and the view from the 9th as you cross the hill is fantastic. If the local infrastructure, hotels, roads etc were better, a lot better, it would be a great Open venue.

Tralee is as you describe it, a course of two half and in some ways fairly simple. Palmer realised that less is more on some golfing land.

Ballybunion has a slowish start but from the 6th is fantastic. The 11th is a great hole.

I haven't played Waterville for a while, back when it had parkland grass on the links terrain. It always had a reputation oaf being a beast, and in a strong wind, can be.

Killarney (not links) is also pretty good, 2 courses used for the Irish Open in the past, a bit like Loch Lomond in places.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you mean opinions on golf courses, RCD is my fave because it is a great test but playable, it has some nice movement in the land, natural features, I don't mind blind holes. My favourite hole is the 13th or 15th. The turf is springy, the green form and decent speed, and the view from the 9th as you cross the hill is fantastic. If the local infrastructure, hotels, roads etc were better, a lot better, it would be a great Open venue.

Tralee is as you describe it, a course of two half and in some ways fairly simple. Palmer realised that less is more on some golfing land.

Ballybunion has a slowish start but from the 6th is fantastic. The 11th is a great hole.

I haven't played Waterville for a while, back when it had parkland grass on the links terrain. It always had a reputation oaf being a beast, and in a strong wind, can be.

Killarney (not links) is also pretty good, 2 courses used for the Irish Open in the past, a bit like Loch Lomond in places.

RCD was my favourite before Tralee, as well.

I havent played Ballybunion as it was closed at the time, but walked 4-5 along the sea and looked great.

Killarney was boss, very picturesque.

Ballyliffin (Old??) was great, but wasnt mad on the 2nd course which was nearer the sea.

Personally, I'm a sucker for views and risk/reward, and although factoring in challenge prefer a course that is playable rather than a beast.

Meeksy1

Visit site

Thanks for your views on Tralee mate. Appreciate it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They have done a bit of work to tralee in the last year. 6 and 7 have been smartened up and 8 re-jigged. I loved 8 the way it was. Thought it was a brilliant hole.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Sorry Ethan, G B & I, absolute rookie error from me. How could a scouse catholic have made such a grave faux pas? Shameful.:eek:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They have done a bit of work to tralee in the last year. 6 and 7 have been smartened up and 8 re-jigged. I loved 8 the way it was. Thought it was a brilliant hole.

Looks boss mate, twas a great day when we played it.

Have they finished the driving range now, and werent they doing a new 10th also?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looks boss mate, twas a great day when we played it.

Have they finished the driving range now, and werent they doing a new 10th also?

Aye they have a nice range and fitting bay indoor trackman set up jobby.

Had a wee run around the par3 course too. Decent addition.

Dont think there is any change to 10. Tough start to the back 9. Great hole.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Aye they have a nice range and fitting bay indoor trackman set up jobby.

Had a wee run around the par3 course too. Decent addition.

Dont think there is any change to 10. Tough start to the back 9. Great hole.

Ah right, the diggers were to the right of 10 when we played it, wasnt sure if it was a new hole, may have been the par 3 course.

D

Deleted member 21258

Tralee, definitely play, a great roller coaster of a course with many memorable holes, can remember all of them 2 years later. And views to die for.(condition was not 100% when I played it but loved the course and would 100% go back to play). Starter and staff superb.

Waterville didnt love it for the money, a nice course, great clubhouse and hope you like being tagged(no joke) :LOL:

EDIT Doonbeg we played on a twilight 'cheap' offer, some great holes and worth playing if a reasonable price. Greens were not perfect when we played there and some holes so so. Fairly good and very playable even if a bit wild off the tee.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 21258

Thought I would add, just in case you don't realise. Some of the courses mentioned (Ballybunion, old head for example) have compulsory caddies, therefore cost wise its a cost to be factored in for any trip.

Have a great trip and post up details.