South West Ireland Golf Trip.

Meeksy1

Visit site
Hi. We are planning a golf trip to South West Ireland and looking to play 4 courses. Which 4 would you recommend? Thinking Lahinch, Ballybunion, Waterville and one other. Should we go for Doonbeg, Tralee or Old Head?

Zig

Visit site
Cheaper (and better IMO) golf can be found a little further up the coast... Carne, Enniscrone, Rosses Point, Rosapenna. Heaven.

Meeksy1

Visit site
Cheaper (and better IMO) golf can be found a little further up the coast... Carne, Enniscrone, Rosses Point, Rosapenna. Heaven.
Played Carne, Enniscrone & Rosapenna 3 years ago. All brilliant golf courses. Will defo by back to NW Ireland one day. Cheers.

Reactions: Zig

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can't go too far wrong with those. I would choose Tralee, simply because Old Head is rather contrived and intended for Americans flying in on helicopters, and Doonbeg is part of Trump's empire, so you can assume much of the local charm has been replaced with vulgar Trumposity. Tralee is a real old-fashioned (although not actually that old) links.

Meeksy1

Visit site
You can't go too far wrong with those. I would choose Tralee, simply because Old Head is rather contrived and intended for Americans flying in on helicopters, and Doonbeg is part of Trump's empire, so you can assume much of the local charm has been replaced with vulgar Trumposity. Tralee is a real old-fashioned (although not actually that old) links.
Cheers mate. Tralee getting a lot of good press on this. Thanks.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've played all the courses mentioned in this thread and the 4 I would pick are Tralee, Old Head, Waterville and Ballybunnion.
Old Head isn't a true links as such but some of the holes are truly spectacular. The back 9 at Tralee is wonderful (the front 9 is great too!) Waterville is just gorgeous from start to finish and Ballybunnion has 36 holes and you should try to squeeze in the 2nd course (Cashen) as it is a cracking course routed through some huge dunes and often gets overlooked because of its big brother.

Hope this helps.

Meeksy1

Visit site
I've played all the courses mentioned in this thread and the 4 I would pick are Tralee, Old Head, Waterville and Ballybunnion.
Old Head isn't a true links as such but some of the holes are truly spectacular. The back 9 at Tralee is wonderful (the front 9 is great too!) Waterville is just gorgeous from start to finish and Ballybunnion has 36 holes and you should try to squeeze in the 2nd course (Cashen) as it is a cracking course routed through some huge dunes and often gets overlooked because of its big brother.

Hope this helps.
Thanks mate. No Lahinch? Thanks for the heads up on the Cashen course at Ballybunion. I’ve heard players saying that it’s a cracking links too. Cheers.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Thanks mate. No Lahinch? Thanks for the heads up on the Cashen course at Ballybunion. I’ve heard players saying that it’s a cracking links too. Cheers.
Don't get me wrong, Lahinch is great but I personally prefer the others as it has a few weaker holes, particularly at the start.