Ireland Golf Trip

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Kerry and the SW is the traditional tourist trail, great courses but high prices and lots of Americans. It is also hardest to get to by car. Dublin and Belfast are easier entry points if you bring a car from 'the mainland'.

I am from NI, so naturally favour the golf there, and RCD and RP are currently hot due to the Irish Open last year and the Open in a few more.

In addition to Steve's list, in the Dublin area you can add Portmarnock, Royal Dublin and Portmarnock Hotel Links, all very close to one another, and in the SW, Lahinch and Doonbeg (if you are OK with paying Trump) and a number of lesser known courses, like Ceann Sibeal/Dingle and Dooks.

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Near Dublin, head south to Druids Glen fantastic course, then a bit further south the European absolutely stonking course. Portmarnock an obvious choice, the Island, Royal Dublin and also the K club is only 40 mins west of Dublin, Ryder Cup 2006.
if you want to do the Dublin gig personally I would either stay around there or combine with RCD,RP Portstewart, Ardglass and leave the southwest for another year. Wont be cheap though

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
You defo have to play at Portrush and County Down in the North.

The West Coast is littered with great tracks. Waterville has always looked awesome to me. Doonbeg is apparently very good. The roads are blerrie kak though boet.

Around Dublin try The Island, The European and Portmarnock.

Going to cost an absolute bomb though.

Have a jol!

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the help gents, its appreciated. No to keen on the 'kak' roads!

If I was to do the west coast, where should we base ourselves that is going to be in easy striking distance from Balllybunion, Tralee etc..?
Same question applies to the Portrush/County Down area, where should we base ourselves there?

Thanks,

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If your doing Tralee, Ballybunion,Waterville then I would be inclined to stay in or around Killarney town.The area is stunning,good irish hospitality, bars and your an hour drive in each direction north to Ballybunion and south to Waterville. Tralee 30 mins north halfway to Ballybunion.
Some other nice and cheaper course nearby are Killarney golf where they have 3 courses (Kileen probably the pick), 40 mins south there is Dooks, further west 1.5 hrs Dingle Bay.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the help gents, its appreciated. No to keen on the 'kak' roads!

If I was to do the west coast, where should we base ourselves that is going to be in easy striking distance from Balllybunion, Tralee etc..?
Same question applies to the Portrush/County Down area, where should we base ourselves there?

Thanks,
We stayed in a great place in Strangford. Perfect for RCD, Ardglass and Kirkistown Castle. It is about a two hour drive to Portrush, which we did on the last day of our stay, as it is just over an hour back to the airport. Next time we go we may stay near Portrsuh as well as Strangford.

If you want details of where we stayed drop me a pm George.

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Okay, have been looking and decided between 2 options:
1) Royal Portrush, Castlerock and Portstewart
or
2) Royal County Down, Ardglass and Kirkistown Castle
Both would mean we would fly into Belfast, hire a car and then base ourselves somewhere without needing to drive too far everyday

We are leaning towards to the 1st option above because it seems that those 3 courses on average are better than the 3 courses on the second option, also means we would have a look at the Giants Causeway

Question 1: Does anyone have a good recommendation of where to stay in the Portrush area? Doesnt need to be budget, decent and in walking distance of some good nightlife
Question 2: Would it be a problem to play any of these courses over the weekend?
Question 3: Is it worth staying for the last night in Belfast to go out and party?
Question 4: Is anyone on this forum a member at any of these courses?

Cheers

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
or
Both would mean we would fly into Belfast, hire a car and then base ourselves somewhere without needing to drive too far everyday

We are leaning towards to the 1st option above because it seems that those 3 courses on average are better than the 3 courses on the second option, also means we would have a look at the Giants Causeway

Question 1: Does anyone have a good recommendation of where to stay in the Portrush area? Doesnt need to be budget, decent and in walking distance of some good nightlife
Question 2: Would it be a problem to play any of these courses over the weekend?
Question 3: Is it worth staying for the last night in Belfast to go out and party?

Cheers

I've only played Portstewart, Ardglass and Kirkistown from that list and can't comment on the others but I doubt you'll be disappointed with either option. I would imagine you will struggle to get on to any of the courses listed on a Saturday, its usually members only competitions. But it would do no harm to ask in advance.

For accommodation there aren't many big hotels in that area, but plenty of B&B's. Bushmills Inn is a nice small hotel beside the Bushmills distillery about a 10 minute drive from Portrush.

Belfast is definitely worth a night out if its the weekend, its been a long while since I've been out midweek but it can be quiet during the week.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
or

Cheers
Ive played all 3 courses in option 1 tonnes of times 4 of the best courses you can play ( the Valley at Portrush is superb ) id stay in the Anchor Bar in Portstewart :whistle::thup: it has its own nightclub. You can eat in Ramores and Tides in Portrush and the Icehouse in Portstewart all are about 6 miles apart.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Ive played all 3 courses in option 1 tonnes of times 4 of the best courses you can play ( the Valley at Portrush is superb ) id stay in the Anchor Bar in Portstewart :whistle::thup: it has its own nightclub. You can eat in Ramores and Tides in Portrush and the Icehouse in Portstewart all are about 6 miles apart.

If you go for option 1, I would still consider driving down to RCD for a game. Just the best course I have ever played.