iPhone question

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apologies in advance for the stoopid question - my iPhone 5 is presently winging its way to me aboard a couriers van and I'm changing service providers from O2 to Orange. How do I get all my contacts off my O2 micro-sim iPhone 4 to my Orange nano-sim iPhone 5?

Thanks.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Do you ever connect your current Iphone to your PC?

If so you should sync it with Itunes, this also creates a backup of your stuff

all you would need to do is to connect the new phone and restore the backup

In theory

Fragger

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers Phil. Yes, I generally charge it up via my laptop and it backs up to iCloud so hopefully all stored up there somewhere!!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't like syncing contacts with the PC because I end up with a load of garbage email addresses on my phone.

I'd say the easiest way is via iCloud. It just does stuff and I don't have to worry about it any more. Brilliant.

As far as I remember there's no way to transfer contacts from the phone to a sim. Even if there were, I'm sure the new iPhone sim is smaller than the 4.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Took too long to post.

If you already use iCloud for contacts then as soon as you sign in with your Apple ID your contacts should get pushed to your new phone.

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
hope you phone isnt being deliverd by Yodel as mine is. Me and the wife ordered our iphone 5 from the same phone call/same sales man both being delivered to same address hers turned up at 1 today but i havent got mine. Yodel say i should get it by 9 tonight. Why not deliver at same time as same address same phone same contract. Yodel are Crap

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, I'm afraid it is Yodel. I'm not exactly filled with confidence about them, but sitting here with fingers crossed.

V

vkurup

Picked mine up... When u boot it up, it gives 3 options. 1) Set up as new phone 2) Restore from iTunes 3) Restore from iCloud. My stuff is on iTunes and iCloud. So just chose iTunes. Restore running for past 15 mins..

PS: The new shiny is really light.. Gr8 screen too. Just dont use the maps..

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Picked mine up... When u boot it up, it gives 3 options. 1) Set up as new phone 2) Restore from iTunes 3) Restore from iCloud. My stuff is on iTunes and iCloud. So just chose iTunes. Restore running for past 15 mins..

Exactly, iCloud backup your old pond and it'll give up options of what you want to backup. Pics, contacts, calendar etc. then restore the 5 from iCloud.

Phil...IT guru...clearly not an iPhone guru.

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I heard they already have a problem with maps for this phone.

Last edited:
V

vkurup

Disaster Update...

The restore from iTunes was stuck for 2 hrs, so I had to disconnect the iP5. Reset the iP5 to factory settings, and tried again, the bloody thing did not go thru. After spending a frustrating 4 hrs, had to manually move some contacts and do a lot of manual setting up. None of the photos transferred over and the apps kindof transferred. A bit of a middle of nowhere situation. No apple genius available till next Thurs, so grinning and bearing it. Atleast the damn phone works.

Apple is going the Microsoft way, never buy the toy on the first day. Let all the bugs settle down before u get it.