New Iron set for under £300

albie999

Visit site
So, am looking for advice for a set of Irons under £300 (nearer to £200 the better :)). I have been using Ben Ross HTX Irons for the last 3 years (bought Dec 2016), and in the SIM tonight, the head snapped off my 7 iron. Seeing as I already wrapped my 5 iron round a tree last year (and not got it repaired), thought it might be worth looking at a second hand set.

I am lucky to have a Skytrak, so know some of my stats. I am hitting my 7 Iron around 140yds (average-total - up to 150+ at times), with ball speed around 100mph, with a calculated club head speed of 72mph. The Ben Ross were fitted with Regular KBS Tour 90 shaft.

Am not really struck on any particular manufacturer, but don't really know if I should be looking at stiff or reg flex. I also notice that sometimes I get quite high spin numbers

My handicap is around 25, however, only really play 3-4 times a month at the minute, but feel I do have potential to lower this. I have been looking at golfbidder, as do like the idea of being able to try them before I commit to buying them, however, if any other suggestions where to get them from appreciated (especially if they let you try before by)

Here is one of my better 7 iron shots

1587667033806.png

Thanks in advance all :)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
As above. Some other ideas, Cleveland CBX. Wilson D300. Could even stay and try the HTX type R (if yours were previous one)

albie999

Visit site
Yep, tons around .. but needed some guidance. Really wanted to stay away from ebay, as wanted to be able to try before by (and send back if pants lol). Looking around, have spotted the following, all in Reg flex .. thoughts?

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5-PW (Model year 2016) - (£290)
Cobra King F8 4-9 (Model year 2017) - (£289)
Callaway Apex 5-PW (Model year 2015) - (£286)
Cobra King F7 6-SW (Brand New) - (£299)
Wilson Staff C200 4-PW (Model Year 2016) - (£232) - not to sure of these, due to cutouts on the bottom, but seems a lot of clubs for the price
Mizuno JPX EZ 16 5-SW (Model Year 2017) - (£269)

These all happened to be on golfbidder under my £300 price tag

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
All nice clubs.
I bought my most recent set of irons after visiting a local pro to use his gc2 one winter afternoon.
He had a barrel of clubs used for fitting/testing in the corner. I just hit a whole bunch of 7 Irons until I found one I liked.
There's a lot to be said for hitting a few at the same time, as comparisons are easier. At the very least, somewhere like American golf would have that facility.
Once you've tried a few, you can be sure that wherever you but them from, you are getting what you like. (though the bay will be much cheaper - pretty much anything apart from this year's models will be less than £300).
Failing that, I reckon it you phoned up golfbidder and asked them to send a 7 iron of all the sets you've listed and promised to pay return postage they would probably come to some sort of arrangement.
Just to add, despite the bottomless optimism widely exhibited here and elsewhere, your golf will still be your golf...

albie999

Visit site
All nice clubs.
I bought my most recent set of irons after visiting a local pro to use his gc2 one winter afternoon.
He had a barrel of clubs used for fitting/testing in the corner. I just hit a whole bunch of 7 Irons until I found one I liked.
There's a lot to be said for hitting a few at the same time, as comparisons are easier. At the very least, somewhere like American golf would have that facility.
Once you've tried a few, you can be sure that wherever you but them from, you are getting what you like. (though the bay will be much cheaper - pretty much anything apart from this year's models will be less than £300).
Failing that, I reckon it you phoned up golfbidder and asked them to send a 7 iron of all the sets you've listed and promised to pay return postage they would probably come to some sort of arrangement.
Just to add, despite the bottomless optimism widely exhibited here and elsewhere, your golf will still be your golf...

Would love to get out to a pro and test, but with lockdown ... who knows when that will end ... and with the Skytrak sim in the garage .. good time to get a new set, and get practice in before back on the course

Few more I spotted :

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-PW (Model Year 2014) - £244 - slight chip on 8 iron
Callaway Rogue 6-PW (Model year 2018) - £289
Wilson Staff D7 - 6-SW (Model Year 2019) - £299

It's all so bloody confusing lol

jmcp

Visit site
Have a look at golfclubs4cash, they often have discounts on the go and I have found them to be cheaper than what I have seen on golfbidder.

cheers, John

albie999

Visit site
So, seemed to narrow it down a little to :

Callaway Apex Irons (5-PW - R300 Reg flex) - £280
Mizuno JPX 850 Forged (5-PW - R300 Reg flex) - £299
Srixon z565 (4-PW - Stiff shaft) - £299
Srixon z565 (5-8 Stiff) and z765 (9-PW Stiff) - £281

Now just need to review some vids and take the plunge :)

albie999

Visit site
Ended up testing the Mizuno JPX850, Srixon 765 and the Callaway Apex ... in the end, there was not really much between any of them, but the Callaway ending up being the keepers. Just like the look and feel of them slightly better, now to get some practice in before the course re-opens :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have a look at golfclubs4cash, they often have discounts on the go and I have found them to be cheaper than what I have seen on golfbidder.

cheers, John

Just be aware that golfclubs4cash are very slack at rating their clubs they have got so many and be prepared to complain. Worth waiting until ebay has a 20% off offer as they and other club sellers are often included in the deal.

3 sets off them last year 1 did not match the quality description by a long way, one set failed to say plus 1" and 2 degrees up and 1 set sold as regular and they were ladies. I cannot complain about the price and the partial refunds given and they offered to take all 3 sets back postage at their expense.