Intermittent fasting

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
How so?
I'm imagining that through millions of years of human evolution, getting 3 square meals a day has been a pretty unusual phenomenon...
The only timing based advice which seems to make some sense is to avoid eating late in the day, as the stomach is unlikely to digest the food well during sleep.
Your post suggests he has 2 meals a day and fasts for 17 hours?
Is that correct?
Obviously I don’t know how old your son is.
Food digesting whilst sleeping will obviously depend on what’s eaten,by your post his last meal would be 4pm?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
But you said it was unhealthy. Said who and how please?
And you say it’s healthy
One of the reasons I don’t usually get involved in these threads is because before long they turn into debates that have run for ever.
If you search the internet there are pros and cons for all aspects of fitness.
Going on the post his son is eating 2 meals a day finishing at around 4.30 and then not eating to midday the following day,to me that’s not healthy to you it is.
Let’s leave it at that because we can go back and forth.
And to be honest whatever his son does it won’t effect me.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do you mind me asking your age Mudball.
Pretty obvious really but the older you get the harder it gets,however it can be done by everyone.
Anyone that mentions the word “diet “ is purely talking about short term because in their head they just want to lose weight fast,but so many times the bounce back is worse and they gain more weight.
A lifestyle is what your looking for if your being serious imo because it becomes 2nd nature.
I was 15-2 and started IF and lost a stone in a year but wasn’t 100% on it so it was inconsistent and I plateaued.
I then started to track my Macros and once again started to lose more weight.
All whilst IF I was weight training fairly light but using progressive overload 4 times a week and also cycling 3 times a week for an hour or so-still not 100% clean on the eating.
Did this for 2 years.
For 6 months after plateauing again I took it really serious.
Weights,biking but the main ingredient was tracking my macros,using the formula of 1g of protein per 1lb of weight and 250 calorie deficit,unbelievable gains in a quarter of the time.
Biggest word of all in this is Willpower if you haven’t got it forget it.

i guess late 40s, but i always tell the ladies I am in my 30s with a tough paper round.
i agree with lifestyle choice, but dont agree on training/exercise not being relevant. Last year was a bit of a revelation for me. Started regular exercise (quick cardio 5 times a week). But when i changed my diet to higher protein-low carbs + 4 Litres of water, it changed a lot of things for me. It became a part of lifestyle. Since I cant follow a certain type of diet, I want to see if I can achieve the same with changing the timing of my meals.

I had a brief look at counting Macros. TBH, I will struggle with such a system. In a week, i might go for curry, then pasta, then fish... keeping track of this is not my game. Maybe something for next year.

Hoping to keep it simple... 16/8 IF, Water, Exercise (Cardio + Weights). This way, i am not dependent on anyone else in the family or imposing on them.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
And you say it’s healthy
One of the reasons I don’t usually get involved in these threads is because before long they turn into debates that have run for ever.
If you search the internet there are pros and cons for all aspects of fitness.
Going on the post his son is eating 2 meals a day finishing at around 4.30 and then not eating to midday the following day,to me that’s not healthy to you it is.
Let’s leave it at that because we can go back and forth.
And to be honest whatever his son does it won’t effect me.
So what you meant to say is, in "your uneducated stab in the dark opinion" intermittent fasting is unhealthy? I'm not having a dig because I think it's safe to say most people would also share your opinion. But opinions are not fact. You stated a fact not your opinion.
From working in the industry all my life I tend to read studies with a pinch of salt. However, the ones I do pay attention to is the studies that offer no benefit to industries. Telling people not to eat doesn't earn anyone any money. Therefore a study in this area offers more Validity.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
So what you meant to say is, in "your uneducated stab in the dark opinion" intermittent fasting is unhealthy? I'm not having a dig because I think it's safe to say most people would also share your opinion. But opinions are not fact. You stated a fact not your opinion.
From working in the industry all my life I tend to read studies with a pinch of salt. However, the ones I do pay attention to is the studies that offer no benefit to industries. Telling people not to eat doesn't earn anyone any money. Therefore a study in this area offers more Validity.
Show me where I said IF is unhealthy?

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
As someone who has tried a few diets over the years, and who struggles with will power to stick to strict diets, I think something like the 5-2 intermittent fasting programme is really helpful. I lost about a stone on it before we had break for xmas.

The big thing for me is that if I know i can eat relatively normally on the day after fasting, I can stick to the plan. If it was a diet where I knew I couldn't eat X or Y anymore, I would struggle. That mindset of knowing its only had for a day, makes a huge difference to someone who has not got the strongest will power.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
"That’s unhealthy" ??

You literally used these words when replying to someone who was describing IF
You can use all the cry with emojis you like but I wasn’t referring to IF
I was referring to eating 2 meals a day with 20+ hours in between.
If you read the post he eats lunch at 12 and Tea at 4.
Go back to my previous post I did IF for 2 years so hardly think it’s unhealthy.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can use all the cry with emojis you like but I wasn’t referring to IF
I was referring to eating 2 meals a day with 20+ hours in between.
If you read the post he eats lunch at 12 and Tea at 4.
Go back to my previous post I did IF for 2 years so hardly think it’s unhealthy.
Yes you where referring to IF. That is IF. Exactly that!!!! He eats to a small window. No doubt you did a 16/8 split. For the last 8 years I was 18/6. Eating one meal a day is still intermittent fasting.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
You forgot to include his 'Ph D'! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
And at around a tenner for 170-ish pages, I'd suggest he's 'after your money' too!

I wasn't suggesting you pay full price for it. Your library probably has a copy of I Can Make You Thin and charity shops won't charge you much.
Some good points were made last night on Channel 5's repeat program about diet and exercise.
The one I liked the most concerns our grandparents. They didn't need to count their calories and that was because they weren't overweight.
They ate simple food like wholemeal bread, potatoes, fresh meat and fish.
The program was also critical of 'superfoods', gluten free foods, gyms, weight lifting and HIIT training.

I'd propose there is no such thing as healthy eating.
That is because you have a superstar in your head. It's called the brain, and we still don't know much about it.
Its primary function is to keep you alive by moderating your metabolism.
You will overload your brain by overeating, so be kind to it. It has a lot of other work to do.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I wasn't suggesting you pay full price for it. Your library probably has a copy of I Can Make You Thin and charity shops won't charge you much.
Some good points were made last night on Channel 5's repeat program about diet and exercise.
The one I liked the most concerns our grandparents. They didn't need to count their calories and that was because they weren't overweight.
The program was also critical of 'superfoods', gluten free foods, gyms, weight lifting and HIIT training.

That is because you have a superstar in your head. It's called the brain, and we still don't know much about it.
You will overload your brain by overeating, so be kind to it. It has a lot of other work to do.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
What a load of twaddle!
You are obviously not eating enough! Or drinking too much! :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 16999

Because as a whole they were UNDERWEIGHT, Military records have shown men tended to be underweight for their height, as an example.

Heart disease was at it’s highest rates during the 1950’s.

What about nutrient deficiencey?

Yes medication is better now than it’s ever been and has massively helped but the life expectancy of our Grandparents to us has risen by nearly 20 years and some of that is improvement in our diet.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Because as a whole they were UNDERWEIGHT, Military records have shown men tended to be underweight for their height, as an example.
Proving what?
Many men joined the army from poor backgrounds to get 3 meals a day.
Heart disease was at it’s highest rates during the 1950’s.
There was no treatment for heart attacks then. You were just told to rest.
Now, despite all the help available: Heart Disease Is World's No. 1 Killer - WebMD
What about nutrient deficiency?
Still happens.
Yes medication is better now than it’s ever been and has massively helped but the life expectancy of our Grandparents to us has risen by nearly 20 years and some of that is improvement in our diet.
Do you mean more processed food, sugar and salt?
Average life expectancy has not actually risen by that much.
Consider Isaac Newton (1642 - 1727). Aged 84.

D

Deleted member 16999

Proving what?
Many men joined the army from poor backgrounds to get 3 meals a day.

So if they hadn’t of joined up what state would of their health been in?

There was no treatment for heart attacks then. You were just told to rest.

So why the rise in the 50’s? Surely it should of been dropping with all this healthy lifestyle our grandparents enjoyed!

Still happens.
Not on the scale of our Grandparents!

Man born in 1900 - Life expectancy, 47yrs
Man born in 1960 - Life expectancy, 66yrs
Over a third increase in just 60yrs!
Behave yourself

Irrelevant
See above

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sir Isaac Newton could never be described as 'average'!!

Average UK life expectancy M;F 1950 66.4;71.5
Average UK life expectancy M;F 2001 76;80.6
Average UK life expectancy M;F 2011 79;82.8
Average UK life expectancy M;F 2021 82;85 (Projected)

Seems a fairly significant increase to me! 23.5% and 18.9% resp!