Interesting Golf Challenges

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
As recent posts have shown, most people are fed up with the idea of goflers trying to reach scratch in a year as a worthy charitable endeavour. Many try, few succeed and it has become the golfing equivalent of raising money by sitting in a bath of baked beans.

So what other ideas are out there? It seems a good idea to use something you enjoy to raise money for charity but what challenge would get you to sign up to a blog or put your hand in your pocket?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
endurance golf would be a good one for example 100 holes in a day, but endurance golf while maintaining a certain standard of golf, IE 20 consecutive rounds within buffer or below. being a golfer i could relate to a realistic and dedicated task like this and would be more interested in this. It make me laugh when people with no HC set a tast to be scratch golfers, rather like someone not knowing how to drive or having a driving licence yet saying, " im going to be F1 world champ "... really all you want to say is " wake up and stop being a cock "

You do get the impression lots of blogs are just about ME ME ME, and a charity is often used in a desperate attempt to attract you to the blog in the first place, a decent blog shouldnt need an charity fund to generate traffic.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few years back, a friend of mine raised a lot of money for charity by playing the longest course he could find in Great Britain - John O'Groats to Lands End.

He's also the guy who played a (soft) golf ball all the way round the London Marathon and on another occasion he and his friend carried a yellow Reliant Robin in the London Marathon while wearing Batman and Robin suits a la Del Boy.

Yes, he is just a little bit mad. Comes up with some great ideas though. :)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
endurance golf would be a good one for example 100 holes in a day, but endurance golf while maintaining a certain standard of golf, IE 20 consecutive rounds within buffer or below. being a golfer i could relate to a realistic and dedicated task like this and would be more interested in this. It make me laugh when people with no HC set a tast to be scratch golfers, rather like someone not knowing how to drive or having a driving licence yet saying, " im going to be F1 world champ "... really all you want to say is " wake up and stop being a cock "

You do get the impression lots of blogs are just about ME ME ME, and a charity is often used in a desperate attempt to attract you to the blog in the first place, a decent blog shouldnt need an charity fund to generate traffic.

Got to agree to a certain extent.
I agree blogs seem to be about "look at me and what im doing arnt i great"but its not because there are thousands doing it.
As for the charity angle always a good thing. :)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I see the point you guys are making, but, lets be honest. Unless they are playing 18 holes, whilst being on fire and chased by a tiger.... Who's going to read it??

I have been too'ing and frowing with the idea of starting a Blog. I have a goal, I have an idea of how to lay it out and how to keep it, and the readers interested and coming back for more, but in reality, who's gonna read it?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
How about playing the entire year with the one golf ball?

If you got as far as December, and then lost it, you would be gutted (and spend ages looking for it). It would also be interesting to see what condition it was in.

If someone got 52 rounds out of a golf ball he'd get my admiration.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I actually quite like following timgolfy's challenge of the usual golfing convention of how to improve/get to scratch.

As far as I know he doesn't have a blog but there are always (sometimes) interesting debates on the pro's and con's of his approach to it all if it doesn't degenerate into farce!**

If/when he get's his scratch handicap he can put all the entries from the forum in his book!

**Edit - see the parfromafar thread for evidence of one that has gone down the similar path.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I see the point you guys are making, but, lets be honest. Unless they are playing 18 holes, whilst being on fire and chased by a tiger.... Who's going to read it??

I have been too'ing and frowing with the idea of starting a Blog. I have a goal, I have an idea of how to lay it out and how to keep it, and the readers interested and coming back for more, but in reality, who's gonna read it?

id read it gareth, i think your great :D

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

id read it gareth, i think your great :D

Hmmmmm.

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Jeez, thats harsh, but I completely agree well said, listen to "The Tuesday Club" for Alan Davies' opinion on blogs,(it changed my perspective)
Realistically I don't want to read a complete stranger talk about things that I don't really understand (Inside Jokes) then I believe you could talk to them (if you know them) then why not just talk to them over a nice social round or range visit (TimGolfy)

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
every year there is a longest day challenge to raise money for the captains charity, not sure what happened this year but in 2010 two golfers played 99 holes in a day.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
A group of my mates did 100 holes in one day on Monday just gone. They started at 5am (ish) when it was still pretty dark outside and ended up getting finished around 8 or 9 I think.

Raised money for charidee and everything.

bluenose10

Assistant Pro
www.collingtreeparkgolf.com
I agree Gareth, Tims idea is quite interesting. more so than people telling me how there 6 hr chipping practice went. It's just a shame that people seem to mock him because his way is unconventional and different to the norm. . . Blogs are different, some are boring some might not. If you don't like them don't read them... Don't knock someone though for trying to drum up interest on a "open" golf forum, they have as much right to share their experiences as anyone else on here....