Indoor Golf centre

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
There was a brilliant facility 5 mins from Glasgow city centre. Chipping green with bunker, putting green, large indoor range, GC2, seperate area with simulator, very qualified pro, cafe, Mizuno fitting service, guest instructors e.g. Aimpoint coming in, good prices and service- the full works. Now shut, despite being a brilliant place. It's just not a huge money maker.
Is that the one in finniston, indoor golf academy I think it was called, they done aim point putting lessons I'm sure, pro was a woman, there is another at Coatbridge, golf asylum same idea but a bit bigger £10 per hour or £17 for the full day, use prov1 balls too

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
We had one North of Newcastle, Dynamic Indoor Golf. It folded a couple of months ago. There was one at Royal Quays, near North Shields, at an out of town shopping Centre. That closed down too. Only works when attached to a club, I think.

simmb

Club Champion
Visit site
I had one open locally about 2 years ago I think it lasted approximately 18 months, people just prefer to play real golf. We have two simulators up my club which are free to use for members and the only time people really use them(apart from the odd lessons and society) is when the course is closed, even playing in the rain seems preferable to most people.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is that the one in finniston, indoor golf academy I think it was called, they done aim point putting lessons I'm sure, pro was a woman, there is another at Coatbridge, golf asylum same idea but a bit bigger £10 per hour or £17 for the full day, use prov1 balls too

The golf asylum looks brilliant but a bit too far for me to practice. I regularly nipped into indoor golf academy in glasgow whilst waiting on Mrs finishing work and sad to see it go but a lot of the times I was the only one there paying £5 for 30 mins or £8 for an hour so with it being a big unit they must have made heavy losses- especially in summer.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had one here in Newcastle, pretty much exactly as your opening post, large putting area, chipping, simulators, fitting area, club MOT fitting area, café, shop, it was a big unit and very professional, but it is no more, I'm guessing it just didn't have the footfall to keep it afloat.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
The golf asylum looks brilliant but a bit too far for me to practice. I regularly nipped into indoor golf academy in glasgow whilst waiting on Mrs finishing work and sad to see it go but a lot of the times I was the only one there paying £5 for 30 mins or £8 for an hour so with it being a big unit they must have made heavy losses- especially in summer.
Its was the first indoor practice area of that kind i used and though it was OK but again place was empty golf asylum is a lot better than IGA for practice but like others can't see it lasting long

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
On a slightly different golf related venture, there was a bar with a golf theme in Newcastle, it had two simulators you could book out. Turn up have a pint of three, order some food and play golf, I tried it when it opened but before the kitchen was complete, nice idea, but it was really expensive, didn't last to long and the venue is now waiting new owners.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
There is one in Glasgow too the golf lounge, its been about for a few years now, it's more of a night with friends rather than somewhere to work on your game

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Isn’t there already one of these in Manchester that you can join?

Edit

It’s called the range, it’s more aimed at serious golf as opposed to beers with your mates etc. They call it a city centre golf club.

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
There was a brilliant facility 5 mins from Glasgow city centre. Chipping green with bunker, putting green, large indoor range, GC2, seperate area with simulator, very qualified pro, cafe, Mizuno fitting service, guest instructors e.g. Aimpoint coming in, good prices and service- the full works. Now shut, despite being a brilliant place. It's just not a huge money maker.

Which one in Glasgow closed down? Indoor golf centre is still open is it not?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
i know from experience that indoor facilities are dead in the summer because people are on the course playing.

This is key and you have to allow for this.

For summer I'd be looking to get a resident professional in place for group lessons, kids summer clubs, get into golf sessions. And whatever else you can come up with.

When Glasgow indoor was open I only used it October - March. I would use it for distances on the flight scope and the short game area only. If I was in the position to open something I'd concentrate on short game area more than nets.

Just my opinion of course!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Look up Golf Asylum in Coatbridge, cracking facility and much like the one in Glasgow however I believe its a seasonal market and even then it's not so big.

Maybe give them a call and explain what you are trying to achieve and see if they can offer advice.

fowlero

Hacker
Visit site

Yip the good summer killed the place in Glasgow, very disappointing as it gets well used during the winter.

Ideally as a business like this you would probably need a dual facility, i.e. a soft play centre on one side (completely separate entrance) which is a licence to print money which would then subsidise the golf facility particularly during the summer months when it may not be used as often.