in your opinion , what is the toughest language to learn?

D

Deleted Member 1156

From some of the posts I've seen on here, I would say English :D

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
From experience

I would say spainish

Spainish, l have no idea about as l never rried learning it.;) Spanish on the other hand is fairly straightforward as it has relatively few irregular verbs. But it does have a few awkward consonant sounds which are difficult for us Brits to pronounce.

I tried learning Welsh when at college in Bangor which was quite tricky. But didn't get that far. After a few weeks, the welsh fellow students who were teaching us fell into one one their periodic nationalistic moods, told us to eff off and went in search of a cottage to burn. But i can still give a rendition Sospan Fach if ever requested..

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
For me, it was French. Never got away with it. My German was at conversational level but is rusty. Welsh was school learned, and quickly forgotten. I can get away with Italian but I lack speed. My Arabic is virtually nonexistent now, on a par with my Welsh.

Currently learning Spanish several evenings a week with Rosetta Stone. Still lacks speed and breadth to my vocabulary. Usually get by but was in a restaurant in a mountain village a couple of weeks back and, embarrassingly, succumbed to pointing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
German. Three genders, they merge individual words into great big long ones. Madness. I've tried and failed with German on a couple of occassions.

I disagree about Spanish although obviously it is an individual thing. The order of words is similar to English, no Yoda like word orders which you get in many languags, once you know the alphabet you can pronounce every word. No English style funny pronunciations, exceptions to rules etc. The language flows pretty well also. Change your teacher!

I suspect English is genuinely difficult to master, good job we are used to it.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
English is probably difficult, French and German when you get into detail is tough, i found spanish fairly easy if I'm honest. Not fluent in any, but I can get by. Mandarin looks tricky! At least the Europeans use the same letters as us so you can have a go at reading it!

Google translate is my best friend, it does live translation of sound and text via the mic or camera! Saved me many times!

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Japanese I've been told... A young workmate is finding it a bit of a struggle despite having lived there for a couple of years and now speaking it every day with his good lady wife... He says French and German were a doddle in comparison...

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Japanese I've been told... A young workmate is finding it a bit of a struggle despite having lived there for a couple of years and now speaking it every day with his good lady wife... He says French and German were a doddle in comparison...

Yeah, I tried Japanese for a few years. Was OK until we moved to the various flavours of symbols (Kanji, etc).

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did Spanish for A-Level and found it not too bad. German was harder for me. There's no rhyme or reason to the genders like there is in Spanish.

However, i would say that any language that uses a different alphabet (Mandarin, Japanese, Korean etc) has an extra level of difficulty as the words and the letters are different rather than just the words.

One of the most interesting for me is Irish / Gaelic. Quite harsh and guttural but strangely mesmeric to listen to.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Spanish is about the simplest in my opinion, pretty much straight replacement word for word with similar phrasing to English. French I disliked because of the phrasing, never tried German. Russian was a sod because of the Cyrillic alphabet but I'd imagine the worst would be an Oriental or Arabic language simply for getting your head round the alphabet; Cyrillic appears pretty easy in comparison.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Back in school we had to pick Spanish or French as 2nd foreign language. Spanish was supposed to be easy, so I picked that. It was also supposed to be useful, but then, I don't really do trade with south america. I can by bread or bear on Lanzarote, though.

I think the difficult ones to learn are the ones which don't even use the same letters. I don't mean German umlaut or a dash across a letter or a line, but proper different letters. Russian, chinese, japanese, ...