In the Pro's bag

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
Hi ALl.

spent yesterday at Royal Porthcawl watching the european seniors event. (what a course by the way - awesome).

So there i was watching amongst others Andrew Murray of Sky Sports. Up he rolled with his Slazenger fast irons + K1 speed endorsed bag and headcovers. Imagine my disappointment when underneath were Adams irons and TM woods
Tony Johnstone had his Titleist bag and TM gear :D
David Russel with his Forgan branding and - you guessed it - TM gear.
There were some exceptions, Carl Mason was using Srixon products, Mike Harwood was all PING and Domingo Hospital was tooled up with MIZUNO - even using MX23 irons, not a blade in sight ;)

One of the best was Mike Clayton whose caddy was carrying a really old looking single strap bag - the sort you'd see in an antique or charity shop. Tatty old head covers and minimal ammounts of everything. Couldn't help but like the guy because of it.

Though I didn't witness it myself I was reliably informed that Mr Slazenger himself - Sam Torrance - didn't have a fast iron or K1 speed anywhere - again mainly being TM gear.

2 things i learned - what proper ball striking really is and i will never achieve it and secondly even pro's can screw up a hole. 12 on a par 5 by one player, topped tee shots into the rough, hack it out, penalty drop, 4 to reach the fairway by another player (David Russell)- maybe they are not to different to the rest of us after all??? :D

great day and great value at only £5 entry.

John.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Being in a sales and marketing environment with work has made me very sceptical and anfazed with all the publicity Pros make around the lesser brands. I never thought for a second that Torrance (as a commentator I like him but as everything else I have no time for him) and Woosnam would have ever dreamed of using the junk they advertise. It is all about the ££££££ and because they can make 10 X more from a dodgey advert than they can make from winnings has led to them loosing any credibility they had.

MarkE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To be fair to Torrance, he does make it clear in the Slazenger ads that the clubs are intended for high handicap golfers looking for an easy to hit club. He never actually states he uses them himself as they are obviously not meant for pros.
As an aside, my Father-in-law uses Big Ezee irons and swears by them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think the great things with the seniors is that they know they can't bomb it (although some can still spank it close to 300 yards0 but they still hit it with sublime timing and control. They are still in the main very good putters and all have a great touch around the green. It is good though to see a pro in real bother every now and then to remind us they are mortal.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was watching the golf this afternoon and noticed Harrington was using a Callaway FT9, not the greatest of advert for it a he was spraying it all over the place, noticed his caddy put a Wilson headcover over the top of it .