improving tv sound

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
Advise would be appreciated as i know some of you are knowlegeable on your tv and hi-fi.
I am not,
some time ago our good but ugly hi-fi got thrown out of the living room and i miss playing a bit of music with good quality sound. I am assuming that a cd can be played through a dvd player and thinking of adding some speakers to the tv that would give me decent sound quality for music but also improve the tv sound , rather than looking at a new hi-fi system just for music .
What are my options :D

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Though a little messy, this is what I've got set up.

TV audio out through my Marantz amp, and into my Misssion hi-fi speakers.

TV to DVD player, through 5.1 surround sound speakers.

DVD to Marantz amp through to Missions. Enables me to play music cd's with really good sound.

Desktop pc to amp, through to Missions. Spotify, itunes etc.

Stereo jack from iphone to amp / Missions.

Whichever way you cut it, I can listen to any source through either, the tv, the Marantz / Missions, or the DVD player and it's surround speakers.

As I said. It's a bit messy, cables everywhere, as I don't currently have an AV amp / seperate DVD player set up. but it essentially works the same.

The cheapest way for you would probably be an amp (AV pref, but nor essential), a couple of good speakers, and a decent set of phono leads.

Plug the phono leads from the DVD player (audio out) into the amp (CD in or similar). Connect speakers to the amp, and Robert's your fathers brother!

I've been looking on ebay recently at amps and speakers, you should get something quite decent for less than £150 easily. Or there's Richer Sounds of course.

I hope it helps.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
TV audio out through my Marantz amp, and into my Misssion hi-fi speakers.

TV to DVD player, through 5.1 surround sound speakers.

DVD to Marantz amp through to Missions. Enables me to play music cd's with really good sound.

Desktop pc to amp, through to Missions. Spotify, itunes etc.

Stereo jack from iphone to amp / Missions.

Whichever way you cut it, I can listen to any source through either, the tv, the Marantz / Missions, or the DVD player and it's surround speakers.

Jeezzzz, I'll bet it's noisey in your house

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
The irony is Bob, that my Mrs has no interest in music what-so-ever. She'd rather have any old garbage on the TV than have music on. Where-as, I'd much rather have music on, but my wife's idea of music is the tinny sort of crackly rubbish that comes out of a bedside radio and the DJ's trying to be funny!

I do sometimes wonder.............. :(

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
What I would do is buy a "separate" amplifier and use your old speakers. Run the audio output (the red and white ones) from the dvd player AND the telly direct into the amp then to the speakers.
Depends how much room you have around the TV I guess.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You could do like I did a few months ago and get a surround sound system. Paid just under £200 for it. Crystal clear and very loud (when the neighbours are out), plays CDs and DVDs and the tv channels sound great as well.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ive got a Bose Soundock, and its the Dogz Danglies, way clear/loud enough for whenever I want to crank things up.

Cables everywhere would do my head in.......

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Ive got a Bose Soundock, and its the Dogz Danglies, way clear/loud enough for whenever I want to crank things up.

If I remember correctly, the OP was about playing CD's through his DVD machine, and improving his TV sound experiance. Neither of which most docking stations won't do.

I do like the Sounddock though. But flipping 'eck. It's pricy.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

If I remember correctly, the OP was about playing CD's through his DVD machine, and improving his TV sound experiance. Neither of which most docking stations won't do.

I do like the Sounddock though. But flipping 'eck. It's pricy.

I'm sure the bose sounddock is pretty good, but in general terms sounddocks are not very good. Then again, nor are mp3 players.

I ran my iPod into my studio system and it was rubbish.
Even at 10% volume, you can hear the holes - that's compression for you. :(

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

+1

Had a pretty rowdy BBQ last summer and cranked the portable Bose up. Must say the quality is probably better at the higher volume range than lower - really clear and crisp. Fron such a small thing it is remarkable.

It is expensive, but has definitely been one of my better investments........sounds like my wife actually :)

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In essence, you'll need some form of amplification and speakers.

Your DVD player will play CDs and, if it is a newer one, probably MP3 files too. Your DVD player can be connected to your amplifier with stereo phono leads or optical (or possibly coax too).

You need to find out whether your TV has an audio output. If it does. then you simply connect your TV with stereo phono leads to your amplifier and you'll be away.

If you're using Sky or similar, you would be better to connect the box to your amplifier with a optical cable.

TV speakers are usually of a very poor quality and the sound will be much improved through pretty much any decent stereo speakers.

Let us know a rough budget and I can give you some more specific recommendations on makes/models.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a Yamaha AV receiver with 5.1 speakers and connected by HDMI to a Panasonic plasma. The AV receiver has inputs from Sky HD, a BluRay player, Apple TV and a dvd/HDD recorder, all fed in via HDMI or digital optical cable.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a Yamaha AV receiver with 5.1 speakers and connected by HDMI to a Panasonic plasma. The AV receiver has inputs from Sky HD, a BluRay player, Apple TV and a dvd/HDD recorder, all fed in via HDMI or digital optical cable.

Snap! (or almost)
In my lounge I have just the TV, but in my studio, I use a Yamaha 5.1 amp with everything going into it, including my DAW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation

Awesome, if I get bored of t'internet/GM forum/work! I just pop in a DVD and and sit on my chair with my tie flapping in the wind!