Improving Scores (HCap)

njt1986

Visit site
Hi guys, just a quick one - though i'm sure it's going to cause some debate - but, when you have been working on your overall game, scores, Hcap etc. ... what is it that you would say is the key to improving, and what is the Easiest to improve, and what is the Hardest to improve?

I only picked up clubs again last year after going nearly 15 years without playing and golf seems so much harder than it did when I was a junior! Obviously I played more regularly back then, but now I can't decide which is the best option to improve my game.

Driving improvements (dispersion) will obviously help me hit fairways more regularly - or at the very least not put it in the rough/OOB - but that's only what? 14 shots per round on average?

You use Irons a lot more over the course of a round, so again, improving strike and dispersion seems to make more sense as I could make up for a poor drive.

Wedge play, and the ability to put the ball close to the hole and hold more greens is also huge when it comes to posting decent scores, plus the odd one here and there you have the potential to hole out.

And then there's the obvious one, putting. You putt on every hole, if you can negate the 3 putts and hole more 1 or 2 putts then your scores are naturally going to come down.

The problem I have is that I have a very limited time to practice and can only really put the work into one part of my game, but all parts are massively inconsistent, so if you guys had to say *THIS* is what will have you seeing the biggest improvement in the shortest amount of time, then what would you choose?

Cheers

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's the generic answer of short game would present a challenge if you don't have much time.

The correct answer will lie in an honest assessment of your game; and for many people it's not what you are capable off but how you are approaching each shot/hole/round - call it course management plus...

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
if your driving is wayward try a 3 wood from the tee, keeping the ball in play is a major factor in managing your score, and putting.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe on your next few rounds, note down on the scorecard how/where you lost shots on the bad holes. i.e. was it an awful drive, or bad putting, or just poor course management. When you've got enough data there to say what aspect is costing you the most, focus on that.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
It's different for everybody unfortunately and no one answer will be bespoke to you over a forum.

Some people have natural flair for certain parts of their game, my putting I practice more than anything and it's good but it's not the best part of my game. My short game however besides getting a feel for the green I have a natural feel for. I can neglect this part of my game and not get punished too badly.

As Orikoru said.

The best thing to do is track your stats, you could do it on a free mobile app or scorecard. Shot by shot account for what you did and build up a detailed record. I use a shotscope V2 and find it great.

After a handful of rounds you will really build up a picture of flaws, weakness and strengths you can plan your practice around this but also manage your game to play to your strengths and play smart golf.

Not feasible for some I know but I also use the combine feature on the flight scope launch monitor I have during practice, this allows me to do skills tests which are scored you can repeat these during practice sessions so gauge improvement and add a level of pressure to beat past scores. You don't need a launch monitor to do this though If you google practice drills, short game tests etc. you will find a whole range that you can use to help structure your practice.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
if your driving is wayward try a 3 wood from the tee, keeping the ball in play is a major factor in managing your score, and putting.
This video suggests that on collected data the three wood is no more accurate for amateurs than the driver.

njt1986

Visit site
Cheers for the replies guys, and sorry I’ve taken so long to get back to you - work/life getting in the way of golf as per!

Louise_a - I use either my 3W or more often now, my 19* Hybrid from the tee as, although I do lose a few yards, I land it on the fairway more often. I only realised a couple of days ago that my Driver shaft is an inch longer than standard as part of the design of the driver when it came out so that’s probably not helping me with my wayward drives! That will likely go in the bin if I can’t find a way to reign it in a little.

Orikoru, Britishshooting - I do track my stats and have done for the past year and my driving lets me down most both in average distance (taking into account the duffs, tops and ones that go into trees either side of the fairway!) and obviously with accuracy, that in turn has a big effect on the rest of my game.

Now I use my 3W or Hybrid more often the data suggests that my biggest pitfall is my approach shots, however that is taking into account my average proximity to the hole but, now I’m using what is a shorter hitting club my approaches to the greens are obviously from significantly further away so that is probably skewing the figures a little as it’s harder to land it closer to the pin from 200yds than it is from 150yds.

My own personal feeling is that I’m losing on average of a shot per hole with my putting, as I’ll regularly leave one an inch or two short, or I’ll miss a ball width either side of the hole from poor reading of the green/poor pace control.

Golf eh? 101 ways to bugger your round ha!