Improving putting

Springveldt

Visit site
If you're missing the short ones there's a good chance your backswing is too long or/and you have too much lower half movement.
Try this with a chair/wall/fence or whatever and keep the pressure the same on both 'cheeks'. That will stop your hips turning.

Thanks Bob, at this point I'm willing to try anything to fix the issue. :)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I seem to alternate between using a line and picking a spot on the ground. With the line, sometimes I just get over the ball and think "that line is not pointing at the hole but I'll hit it anyway".

I do hole out most times. Even in a friendly game I'll try and knock them in.

I've changed the grip on my putter to a Super Stroke and even with the 2 missed ones at the weekend it does feel better and I think it's improved my putting so far. Over the last 2 rounds I've holed more in the 5-10 foot region than I normally do and I'm getting more putts past the hole. The first one I missed was all on me, I didn't take my time and just tried to use my wrists to knock it in for some stupid reason. The next one was on the very next hole and probably a reaction to pushing the first one so ended up pulling it. After that I was solid, didn't miss from 3-7 foot range and I had 5 of them.

I'll give it some more rounds but if I'm still missing them come the start of the comp season I think I'll need to go for a lesson or something just to get some confidence.

I was the same. It turns out my eyes were outside the line so it looked like I had lined up wrong. I now set up better and have learned to trust my read and that I’ve lined up the ball correctly. I still miss the odd short one, but far less frequently than before.

D

Deleted member 23344

Just on this, I actually tried drawing a line on the ball for my round yesterday. I can see that it would help some people but I didn't like it at all. For some reason it just put me off if anything. I'd line it up from behind the putting line, but then when I'm stood over the ball I'm thinking it looks wrong, but I can't adjust the way I normally would. Really didn't like it. :LOL:

I know what you mean … I line it up but, when I stand over the ball, it sometimes looks wrong … but that is why I said “trust the line”. If you have lined it up correctly, then go with it no matter if it looks wrong from above. Also, I don’t actually draw an offputting line on the ball … Callaway Supersoft balls have the name printed as a line for the purpose of lining up.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Pace is the most important part of putting, you can't pick a line without knowing the pace as this will dictate the start line.

For me, I'm a very visual putter - I stand behind the ball and imagine I'm rolling a ball towards the hole and follow the line it creates in my mind. If I see it missing left, I'll start again aiming further right, for example.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’m not an amazing putter, but I’m ok. These are a few things that have helped me both in the past and now.

Missing short putts.
As Bob said, a lot of people have way too long a backswing for short putts, which both gives too much time to tweak the face and also means you have to keep the swing slow to avoid hitting the ball too hard.
On the practice green (or at home?) with a short putt try putting a ball down 6” behind the one you are hitting. If your backswing is too long you will feel like there’s no way you have enough room to take the putter back, but try it and you’ll be surprised how easy they are to hole out.

Eyes over the ball?
People’s eyes work in different ways and not everybody sees lines the same way.
Again, on a practice green or easy to do at home, put a ball down and choose a target about 10’ away. Kneel down behind the ball and put another small object between the ball and target about 1‘ or 2’ from the ball.
Now with a putter in hand stand over the ball as if you are going to hit it, and move your head about until the intermediate target looks to be on the right line to hole the putt. This is where you should practice addressing the ball from. You can drop another ball from the bridge of your nose between your eyes if you can’t tell where your eyes are in relation to the ball.

The last one is the one that helped me most, I think it helps with people that over think things!
From when you are over the putt ready to hit ie you’ve addressed the ball and had a couple of looks at the hole, count from 1 to 5 in your head at a pace you need to figure out for yourself through trying it.
Once you’ve started don’t think about anything other than the sequence.
1. Look at the hole
2. Look at the ball
3. Backswing (it might feel like you’re not ready but go with it)
4. Hit the ball
5. Look up (important to not look up before the 5 count)

Sorry for the long post. I hope some of it might help someone.

D

Deleted member 23270

There are two lines on any shortish breaking putt. Dolly it with break or firm and straighter. Either way pace and line are of equal importance.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
What are all of your stories for when it comes to improving at putting or finding a new level with the putter?

For example:

Regular lessons with a pro?
Purchasing training equipment?
Putting training drills?

How many of you have regular lessons working on putting?

Who has never had a putting lesson?

Or do you just accept good and bad days? (currently the case with me at 18 handicap but determined to work on it more this summer).

What have you found the best ways to improve?

Buy a putting mat. Practice. Will vastly improve your putting from 8ft and in.

phillarrow

Visit site
Just on this, I actually tried drawing a line on the ball for my round yesterday. I can see that it would help some people but I didn't like it at all. For some reason it just put me off if anything. I'd line it up from behind the putting line, but then when I'm stood over the ball I'm thinking it looks wrong, but I can't adjust the way I normally would. Really didn't like it. :LOL:

Isn't this precisely why you should use a line?
I can't remember his name but there's a guy who does short game and putting coaching to some PGA players and he has talked about using techniques like this to work out how near or far you should stand to the ball.
IIRC the theory goes that you line the ball up exactly where you want it, and then adjust your distance from the ball until it looks right. This then gives you the correct stance for you, based on your natural visual bias? Or something like that?! ?‍♂️

It's also the theory behind Phil Kenyon's T bar thingy, I think? Point it at the hole then take a stance where it looks like it's pointing at the hole and you've found your correct distance from the ball.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't remember his name but there's a guy who does short game and putting coaching to some PGA players and he has talked about using techniques like this to work out how near or far you should stand to the ball.
IIRC the theory goes that you line the ball up exactly where you want it, and then adjust your distance from the ball until it looks right. This then gives you the correct stance for you, based on your natural visual bias? Or something like that?! ?‍♂️

It's also the theory behind Phil Kenyon's T bar thingy, I think? Point it at the hole then take a stance where it looks like it's pointing at the hole and you've found your correct distance from the ball.
I don't know, but maybe I'm weird - I usually find the line I think it is when I'm standing over the ball is more often correct than the line from behind the ball. Maybe because I'm left-eye dominant, or maybe I'm just blind. ? But with the line on the ball as well, I'm still trying to convince myself the line is right instead of just committing and hitting it in the general direction of the hole. Can't explain it any better really, it just put me off.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Not really. When you consider the trigonometry of, and impracticality of, aligning a 1.68" line precisely with whatever the intended line of putt is over many feet or yards, you realise how it is a complete waste of time, other than as a mental comfort like not using blue tees because you tend to him it out of bounds off them, or tapping the ground twice behind the ball on the tee or whatever.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Not really. When you consider the trigonometry of, and impracticality of, aligning a 1.68" line precisely with whatever the intended line of putt is over many feet or yards, you realise how it is a complete waste of time, other than as a mental comfort like not using blue tees because you tend to him it out of bounds off them, or tapping the ground twice behind the ball on the tee or whatever.

Have you ever made a positive contribution to a discussion on here? Or do you just find fault and pick holes in everything?

You don’t see value in it, don’t do it.

Have you got any words of advice to help the OP? After all you are the preeminent expert on everything not to do!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'm not sure if you're joking.
I rarely use the same putter for three consecutive rounds. I've got four on a rotation and I'm waiting for the fifth to arrive from a recent eBay purchase that I hold you responsible for.

It was semi tongue-in-cheek, but I do think that each time I change putter it makes me concentrate harder on where the sweet spot is and finding it when I make the stroke and also ensuring I get the face square to the line.
Two key points for good putting.

What's your new putter?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
And mental comfort isn't a good thing why?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Are you saying it doesn’t work for you, or that the dozens of tour pros and thousands of elite amateurs that use it don’t know what they’re doing?

phillarrow

Visit site

That's just a silly post.

Given that you often choose to ignore direct questions that prove the daftness of your posts, I'll do this one question at a time.

Using a line is only really recommended for short putts - those inside a few feet. Do you feel it's impossible to stand behind a ball with a line on and use the line to see that it is pointing in the right direction to a target 4/5 feet away?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not exactly renowned for his pace of play at the best of times. To be honest you should be getting a read within 10-15 seconds max which is what both Mark Sweeney (founder of Aimpoint) and Jamie Donaldson (European Chief Instructor) both say and recommend. Anything after that and you are into the realms of second guessing what you are feeling