Immediate love of the WHS

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Put in a General Play card yesterday.

This morning my HI has gone up 0.7 which means an increase in my CH by 2 shots. (It's about the decimal points)

I knew the oldest score was incorrect (wrong Course and hence wrong Course Rating) and I have been playing nowhere near my old handicap for months now.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Put in a General Play card yesterday.

This morning my HI has gone up 0.7 which means an increase in my CH by 2 shots. (It's about the decimal points)

I knew the oldest score was incorrect (wrong Course and hence wrong Course Rating) and I have been playing nowhere near my old handicap for months now.

A real win for WHS. An accurate handicap reflecting your CURRENT playing ability. Good to hear! (Although I do hope your game improves again if you're struggling obviously)

Visit site
I was with our GM yesterday when a lad came in with a general play card, no issue, we're up and running.

Ironically, I could easily start solving my wrong handicap issue by getting out and putting in a few general play rounds... Unfortunately the bad back has returned and had to cancel yesterday and today.?
Very few things stop me playing, but a bad back nearly always wins!!

Visit site
It inevitably ends up with a visit to the chiropractor. I go roughly every four weeks to one in Leeds, and he is a genius.
I would say that about 20 members of our club visit this guy fairly regularly.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I hadnt even looked at this until today as I havent played since the end of October and was aware of some teething issues so let it all settle down. Checked with the club this morning and new handicap index of 15.9. So that makes it a total of 5 shots off the handicap since I rejoined a club back in August/Spetmber, got 3 initial cards in and then a few comps rounds.

Just looking forward to getting back out on Saturday

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A real win for WHS. An accurate handicap reflecting your CURRENT playing ability. Good to hear! (Although I do hope your game improves again if you're struggling obviously)

Thanks for the sympathy

I think more than any thing it has been about the WHS. Bit like being back at work, too much on the brain and too many players collaring me with questions whilst I am stood next to or around the first tee. My major involvement has now finished so hopefully I can concentrate on my game just needs one or two really good comp rounds and I will get back to near single figure again.

The 5 oldest scores are not in the best 8 so there is time.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I dont get WHS....

Yesterday before I played I was 22.1 Index. I went round in 94.

Record still shows only one card is being used in handicap calculation - index has still gone up to 23.1... how?

Attachments

• 1607338543472.png
    1607338543472.png
    175.8 KB · Views: 18

YandaB

Visit site
You've added a 5th which changes the calculation from "lowest score - 1" to "lowest score" (and that the one that is counting):

If less than 20 Qualifying Scores posted in the last 2 years

• 3 scores: lowest score -2
  • 4 scores: lowest score -1
  • 5 scores: lowest score
  • 6 scores: average of lowest 2 scores -1
  • 7 to 8 scores: average of lowest 2 scores
  • 9 to 11 scores: average of lowest 3 scores
  • 12 to 14 scores: average of lowest 4 scores
  • 15 to 16 scores: average of lowest 5 scores
  • 17 to 18 scores: average of lowest 6 scores
  • 19 scores: average of lowest 7 scores
  • 20 scores: average of lowest 8 scores

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dont get WHS....

Record still shows only one card is being used in handicap calculation - index has still gone up to 23.1... how?

Did you have 20 score in your record before this round and what was the differential of the round this one replaced.

If you did not have 20 scores in your record before this round the averaging is a different calculation.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dont get WHS....

Forget above I see you are saying you only have that many scores on your record

Adding another score changes how it is calculated see the post #15 from yandabrown.

Swango1980

Visit site
Two members, one who has played for over 20 years and an ex-captain, registered and submitted a general play round yesterday via the howdidido app (Club V1). However, they selected non-qualifying, as they thought qualifying meant "competition" and "non-qualifying" meant social round. So, no update to their handicaps.

I wonder how many other regular golfers will fall foul of the same mistake? Qualifying is not even a term anymore in WHS, but even under the old system few golfers ever really thought about what "qualifying meant", and new members had no chance without it being explained to them.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two members, one who has played for over 20 years and an ex-captain, registered and submitted a general play round yesterday via the howdidido app (Club V1). However, they selected non-qualifying, as they thought qualifying meant "competition" and "non-qualifying" meant social round. So, no update to their handicaps.

I wonder how many other regular golfers will fall foul of the same mistake? Qualifying is not even a term anymore in WHS, but even under the old system few golfers ever really thought about what "qualifying meant", and new members had no chance without it being explained to them.
Did your club not publish any information?

Swango1980

Visit site
Did your club not publish any information?
Lots.

But, we avoided every minute detail, including the subtleties of working the software, especially when it gets updated every 2 or 3 days.

I have a strong suspicion many golfers are fed up with details on WHS at moment, and are of the opinion they'll just deal with it when they start playing again.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Sadly lots - Club V1 needs updating regarding what they call "Casual Rounds".