I'm Curious - Stolen Identity?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Add extra markings if you’re playing the same ball as someone else in your group.

Two of us playing Vice today - his had a dot either side of the model name - mine had a thick blue line around the circumference and my initials by the number - we had no issue identifying which ball was whose
As I keep saying, I was happy that the markings were different enough and he had no objection either at the beginning! As soon as I saw the balls I was able to tell which was mine and which was his. It was only him who got it wrong in the end.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I keep saying, I was happy that the markings were different enough and he had no objection either at the beginning! As soon as I saw the balls I was able to tell which was mine and which was his. It was only him who got it wrong in the end.

Another time, though, change your make of ball so that you don't give the other player an opportunity albeit inadvertently to shaft you. :)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

And it would be you that paid the penalty. Just change it to a different number, job done. Or do Taylor Made only make that ball with a 0 as the number?

salfordlad

Visit site
The moral of the story here is if anyone in your group is using the same make and number of ball, you should either emblazon your ball with the least subtle marking on the planet or change ball. There are many folk out there that do not pay close attention to which ball they hit.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
And the conclusion for the original poster is that he has a lost ball and must proceed accordingly by returning to the spot of the last stroke and play under stroke and distance. Failure to do so before teeing off the next hole in stroke play could result in a dq (or blob in Stableford, lost hole in par/bogey, or max score) or loss of hole in match play. It's a simple, albeit harsh, ruling.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Golf is a game of 'personal responsibility' - including incidents where the initial cause was someone else's (lack of) action!
The cause of any penalty may have been your PP's lack of observation, but the ultimate responsibility for it would still have been you - for not checking adequately.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
As I said on the previous thread, especially when the ball is the same make & number, I would have been having a look at the first found ball just to check it wasn't mine, not relying on John, also it help the search for the second ball that entered the long grass as regards point of entry into the long grass.

salfordlad

Visit site
Managed to reach 3 pages though, (y)

I'm glad it was hypothetical, gawd knows the forum carnage if @Orikoru hadn't spotted the blokes error in time :p
The "carnage" is alive and well in a very recent thread "Back to the tee or otherwise!" by 3offTheTee, 13 June 2022. And the more folk we get reading this and taking responsibility for marking and identifying balls with best practice, the more we can limit this carnage to discussion pages. Golf is tough enough without such extra complications as careless people hitting your ball in play.