I'm Curious - Stolen Identity?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seriously? If someone says they've found their ball my instinct isn't to think they're an idiot who's probably misidentified it. I'm not that suspicious!

But now you know the rule it's worth bearing in mind if you're playing in a serious competition.
It's not being suspicious, just protecting your own interest, which you seemed aggrieved about when having to accept the penalty as you failed to check. :)

You knew that you were playing very similar balls and had both hit into the same area.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But now you now the rule it's worth bearing in mind if you're playing in a serious competition.
It's not being suspicious, just protecting your own interest, which you seemed aggrieved about when having to accept the penalty as you failed to check. :)

You knew that you were playing very similar balls and had both hit into the same area.
There's still the hypothetical scenario that you never get the chance to check. Say he finds your ball, hits it before you even get over and start searching for example.

Yes in the real example, but I knew it was his ball we'd just found so just lucky he hadn't hit mine yet.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
He identified it as a taylormade 0?

But he didn’t identify it as his Taylor Made 0, just a Taylor Made 0.

Surely the common sense solution to this is for one of the two players using the same numbered ball to swap it for a different numbered one as soon as they realised; seemingly on the first tee?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
How many TM '0' balls are there in the world...?
Thats the problem.

Probs not many in the same exact location as the two driven balls though...

Id be walking to the ball he just hit to check it pretty instantaneously anyway... and throwing a glove at him for good measure :ROFLMAO:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
H'mm. I'd rate both players using the same brand & number ball as certainly contributing to the issue!
Most of those examples are simple bad luck rather than the direct result of another player's stupidity. :LOL:
So you're happy to call out another player's 'stupidity', but not your own contribution for 1. Playing the same brand & number ball and 2. Not using 8 words (max) 'Are you sure it's yours and not mine?' to be certain!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you're happy to call another play out another player's 'stupidity', but not your own contribution for 1. Playing the same brand & number ball and 2. Not using 8 words (max) 'Are you sure it's yours and not mine?' to be certain!
The markings on the two balls were different, I was perfectly able to tell them apart. I didn't know the other chap was considerably less observant than me did I.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The markings on the two balls were different, I was perfectly able to tell them apart. I didn't know the other chap was considerably less observant than me did I.
So? My comment still applies! In fact, you've simply added another 'self contribution' - (unwise) assumption!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Perhaps too simple and the response may be why should I?

If he has a similar Taylor made ball why not change to a Callaway? I always have another ball in case I need to play a provisional which is ALWAYS different make from the ball I am playing. Play the other ball.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Perhaps too simple and the response may be why should I?

If he has a similar Taylor made ball why not change to a Callaway? I always have another ball in case I need to play a provisional which is ALWAYS different make from the ball I am playing. Play the other ball.
Baffled by this comment to be honest. Like a lot of golfers I buy the ball that I want to play. I'm not just going to randomly change it because someone else has one as well.

DickInShorts

Visit site
Add extra markings if you’re playing the same ball as someone else in your group.

Two of us playing Vice today - his had a dot either side of the model name - mine had a thick blue line around the circumference and my initials by the number - we had no issue identifying which ball was whose