If you're looking to play in Open competitions....

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A wee tip guys, get your applications in ASAP, the good ones fill up very quickly. Most now ask for your CDH number.
They're great value, we played 28 of them one year .
For a few years I won enough to cover my club membership fees.
Some use to give lots of prizes , the overall winner, a scratch prize also 1,2,3,4 runner places in 3 age categories and usually separate 2s and sweep comp.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah GolfEmpire is a great site for seeing what's going on.
Difficult to book so far ahead in the current climate, I tend to have a look at the schedules and then keep an eye on the relevant club websites for the competition status, going ahead or not.

And how come seniors is 55 in England and 50 in Scotland? Do they have a shorter life expectancy up there? ?

It is 60 at some clubs round here.

One of my mates was DQd at one open when they realised he was only 57.

Most clubs seem to be going the Golf Empire route now with online booking only.

At one time we used to organise all entries from our club in go. Senior Section paying the entry fee and the players paying the seniors. The list of all the Opens used to go up on the board and you used to just tick the ones you wanted to play in.

brfcfan

Visit site
In 2021 non golf club members are being given official WHS handicaps (pointless IMO). Before you sign up for an Open make sure they are only allowing golf club members to play or be prepared for not even coming close.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Of course they do, even with the scrutiny of the club.

But will less scrutiny, mean it's easier or harder to have an inflated handicap?

Lets go round again lol

So its ok to have some cheating as long as they are club members but not ok to have non club members as they are more likely to be cheats (based on 0 evidence)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nope. I've reread my post, three times and I haven't said anything of the kind.

But I asked a question which you didn't answer.

didnt answer because its clearly a leading question trying to create a basis for excluding nomads with handicaps before its proven that it has created (or worsened existing) problems

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Nope.

You initially said that my question about scrutiny said it was ok for club members to cheat. Clearly it doesn't.

You then said it was a leading question in order to exclude Nomads. Again, your assumption. And for the record, incorrect.

But if you ignore what I wrote and attached your own meaning, thats up to you.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeah GolfEmpire is a great site for seeing what's going on.
Difficult to book so far ahead in the current climate, I tend to have a look at the schedules and then keep an eye on the relevant club websites for the competition status, going ahead or not.

And how come seniors is 55 in England and 50 in Scotland? Do they have a shorter life expectancy up there? ?

Some areas of Scotland do have low life expectancy but I don't see that as a joke!

Back to golf. Senior entries vary depending on how popular they are. A lot seem to be 55 but some will allow 50+ to help get a full field I would imagine.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some areas of Scotland do have low life expectancy but I don't see that as a joke!

Back to golf. Senior entries vary depending on how popular they are. A lot seem to be 55 but some will allow 50+ to help get a full field I would imagine.

As Ken posted they're trying to get the numbers up by lowering the entry age hoping to fill the field, and allow them to pay out the advertised prize money.

In days gone by, the club's brewery/supplier would subsidise their open amateur comps.
You would arrive on the 1st tee and be given a wee gift, maybe a ball and a few tees, a course stroke saver, a ball marker, a towel, a miniature of whisky, the occasional 1/4 bottle of whisky :love::love:
Times have changed, no more free gifts and now the minimum age is 50 + some 55, some clubs still ask for and get full fields of age 60 or 65 +.
Good news is I qualify for them all and get a cheap game at a good course.:LOL::ROFLMAO:, bad news I probably wont win anything but :love:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
and there it is again, no golf club members sandbag their handicaps but all nomads will

I'll agree that some members sandbag, but how are the "Nomads" handicaps going to be monitored??
Will it simply be a case of submitting cards signed by fellow Nomads??
If that is the case, I can easily see it being open for abuse.
Easiest thing in the world is to get a mate of mine to sign a few cards for me, showing gross scores in the low 90's. Voila, I've now got a handicap of 21/22.
If I did that at a club, I'd go out .3
:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
I play in a few of these each year, never expecting to win, just playing to get a chance to play some courses at a reduced fee. One I was looking at for next year is already full, as are a few others I've checked out! Unbelievable Jeff.