If you're looking to play in Open competitions....

NearHull

Visit site
We are in a group of eight, one of us does all the hard work and books four players into about 30 Senior Opens each year, generally within 90 mins drive. We then sort out who is playing where. Most seem to be won with eye watering scores - we occasionally achieve a lower place.
At one Open last year my partner and I managed third place and collected 3 twos and nearest the pin. We had a good day in high winds on the coast. A good course and an enjoyable day.
We were a tad disappointed with the prizes. A free four ball for third place, a bottle of spirits for NTP but the best was 18 Dunlop balls for the twos. The balls went to my six year old grandson. By the way the organisation was an absolute shambles.
We are not entering that one this year.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have played senior opens for the last 7 years with 3 brothers and a friend around the Kent, Sussex area.
Great days out and always very good value really missed that this year.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can recommend this website to you if you don't know about it already.....
https://www.golfempire.co.uk/

You can search for the particular type of competition you are interested in, and narrow it down to courses in your preferred area.
Playing in Open competitions allows you to visit many superb courses at a bargain price with some healthy competition thrown in for good measure.
I am particularly interested in Senior comps and once I get my handicap active again will be entering some.
For instance, East Berkshire GC are holding a Senior Open in June (my favourite month!!).
Normal green fee for 18 holes is £75.00.
My £45.00 entry fee will get me coffee, 18 holes and a buffet lunch to boot!
That's a bargain if ever I saw one.
Just got to get my handicap sorted now......:cool::cool::cool:

Its a great resource, I have been using it for a few years.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Easiest thing in the world is to get a mate of mine to sign a few cards for me, showing gross scores in the low 90's. Voila, I've now got a handicap of 21/22.
If I did that at a club, I'd go out .3
:unsure::unsure::unsure:
H'mm! Not kept up with WHS implementation?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Not as depressing as when the club lowers the age limit for seniors & your wife finds out you are now one... :mad:

Not that she's mentioned it much. :rolleyes:

My Missus, Donna, is 54. Looks much younger too, the rotter. She gave me loads of stick when I passed 55, saying she was "living with a Senior Citizen!" She has just taken voluntary-redundancy from work... proudly stating she wasn't going to work again. She's less happy now that I keep referring to her as "retired!"

When you see the price of some of the Senior Opens, you can't believe them.... dead cheap and a meal after! (presumably chopped up to make them easier to chew!)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My Missus, Donna, is 54. Looks much younger too, the rotter. She gave me loads of stick when I passed 55, saying she was "living with a Senior Citizen!" She has just taken voluntary-redundancy from work... proudly stating she wasn't going to work again. She's less happy now that I keep referring to her as "retired!"

When you see the price of some of the Senior Opens, you can't believe them.... dead cheap and a meal after! (presumably chopped up to make them easier to chew!)
Soup and soft bread only ?