If you're looking to play in Open competitions....

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I can recommend this website to you if you don't know about it already.....
https://www.golfempire.co.uk/

You can search for the particular type of competition you are interested in, and narrow it down to courses in your preferred area.
Playing in Open competitions allows you to visit many superb courses at a bargain price with some healthy competition thrown in for good measure.
I am particularly interested in Senior comps and once I get my handicap active again will be entering some.
For instance, East Berkshire GC are holding a Senior Open in June (my favourite month!!).
Normal green fee for 18 holes is £75.00.
My £45.00 entry fee will get me coffee, 18 holes and a buffet lunch to boot!
That's a bargain if ever I saw one.
Just got to get my handicap sorted now......:cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

I might be interested in a few pairs/team events half way between our locations Rob ?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I might be interested in a few pairs/team events half way between our locations Rob ?

I'd love that Gordon. Could do with some decent back up ;);):LOL:
Have a look, see what you fancy and I'll gladly come along.
Just need to get my handicap active again, but that shouldn't take too long, and if I can get a couple of extra shots by putting in a few duff cards, so much the better :cool::cool::cool::eek:;)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
When did your last membership end Smiffy?
You probably haven't followed the gazillion WHS posts & threads. Might be worth trying your CDH on England golf if you have a note of it.
Apparently "active" doesn't exist the same as before, some speculation some open organisers may add their own restrictions so one to look out for.

Bermuda

Visit site
What an excellent idea, have you ever played Cooden Beach, it's not far from where I live now and wandered if it's any good in winter

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You probably haven't followed the gazillion WHS posts & threads. Might be worth trying your CDH on England golf if you have a note of it.
Apparently "active" doesn't exist the same as before, some speculation some open organisers may add their own restrictions so one to look out for.

My last handicap was 13.1 (I think) and as far as I understood it ended when I left Cooden a year or so ago.
I did have a CDH card from England Golf but have mislaid it now. Any idea how I can find out what it was????
As I say, I have made tentative enquiries with regards renewing my membership at Cooden for 2021 but also note that East Sussex National are offering a flexible membership scheme nowadays as well which is quite tempting.
It's not a million miles away from me, and it actually works out cheaper per round than Cooden. Don't know whether I'd hold down a 13 handicap around there as it's a bit longer than Cooden, but am at the age now where a couple more shots would come in handy.....

Bermuda

Visit site
Errrr........ I was a member there and have reapplied to join. It's a lovely course, but it doesn't like the Winter months.
Ahhh that's really interesting I know that you are knowledgeable when it comes to courses aroud here, what are your tips for best winter courses please

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ahhh that's really interesting I know that you are knowledgeable when it comes to courses aroud here, what are your tips for best winter courses please

My best tips for courses around here at this time of the year are either East Brighton or Lewes. Both drain superbly well, and never have temporary greens. If you don't fancy venturing down to the coast, then Crowborough "used" to hold up well in the winter months, but I don't think it's as good as it used to be.
Only problem with either East Brighton or Lewes is that you need to pick them when it's a flat calm day. I guarantee it will still be a bit "blowey" up on top of either of them, but that's what you have to put up with if you want a free draining course. It's got to be on chalk!!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Hi Ian.
Have dug through old emails and have found what I thought was my CDH number but it's not recognised on the England Golf website, neither is my email address.
:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Last edited:

Bermuda

Visit site
My best tips for courses around here at this time of the year are either East Brighton or Lewes. Both drain superbly well, and never have temporary greens. If you don't fancy venturing down to the coast, then Crowborough "used" to hold up well in the winter months, but I don't think it's as good as it used to be.
Only problem with either East Brighton or Lewes is that you need to pick them when it's a flat calm day. I guarantee it will still be a bit "blowey" up on top of either of them, but that's what you have to put up with if you want a free draining course. It's got to be on chalk!!
Thanks for the advice I would gladly drive to either both are around 40 mins from me, which is the better course??

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the advice I would gladly drive to either both are around 40 mins from me, which is the better course??

I personally prefer East Brighton as I think it's a little better manicured, (if any course can be properly manicured in January!!) but Lewes is a reasonable test of golf too.
I wouldn't turn a game down at either of them if I'm honest, just as long as it's not too cold and windy lol!!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Bermuda

Visit site
I personally prefer East Brighton as I think it's a little better manicured, (if any course can be properly manicured in January!!) but Lewes is a reasonable test of golf too.
I wouldn't turn a game down at either of them if I'm honest, just as long as it's not too cold and windy lol!!
AA Route planner says East Brighton is an hours drive, which is the same as Littlestone for me, I am going to join a good winter course and take the driving in the chin

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
AA Route planner says East Brighton is an hours drive, which is the same as Littlestone for me, I am going to join a good winter course and take the driving in the chin
Littlestone is a great course. Open qualifier if I remember correctly. The only "problem" with Littlestone is their restrictions on fourball play (again I might be wrong on that).

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd love that Gordon. Could do with some decent back up ;);):LOL:
Have a look, see what you fancy and I'll gladly come along.
Just need to get my handicap active again, but that shouldn't take too long, and if I can get a couple of extra shots by putting in a few duff cards, so much the better :cool::cool::cool::eek:;)

i could join some team ones - obviously not the old fart ones though!! :)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you have only been away for a year your new club might be able to retrieve your old CDH No to get you going. Worth ensuring you give it to them.
I'll certainly give them the number, but if not I can get three cards in quickly enough.
Have emailed both Cooden and East Sussex National regarding their respective flexible membership schemes. It actually works out cheaper at East Sussex!!
????