If you had to par any hole at Augusta National...

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Should the unlikely opportunity arise what hole do you think would give you your best chance of making a par under
Masters conditions - so back tees, fast greens and Sunday pins?

16 and that big plug hole springs to mind but I'd probably miss the break so would go with 13 as you'd like to think you could leave
yourself a short third in

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
2nd hole, Get the opening hole hook out of the way and onto the downhill second, its a 575 yard par5 but mostly downhill so playing shorter. Id like to think its a par most days.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
2nd hole, Get the opening hole hook out of the way and onto the downhill second, its a 575 yard par5 but mostly downhill so playing shorter. Id like to think its a par most days.
I'll go along with this..
2 good thumps and a short iron in the right place and you've got a birdie chance...
13 as well
16 is still quite an intimidating shot and its not particularly short either.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
2nd is the obvious choice is you want best chance of the par.... although I can't remember where the Sunday Pin is... 13th as a 3 shot hole isnt a bad chance. I walked the right hand side of that and thought I'd fancy bailing out right and the pitch over didn't look too bad... then you only have to 2 putt! :eek:

14th seemed less intimidating.. might be a sniff.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
2nd is the obvious choice is you want best chance of the par.... although I can't remember where the Sunday Pin is... 13th as a 3 shot hole isnt a bad chance. I walked the right hand side of that and thought I'd fancy bailing out right and the pitch over didn't look too bad... then you only have to 2 putt! :eek:

Heck of a green on the 14th though isn't it?
Be happy with a 3 putt on there.

sunshine

Visit site

the 2nd hole Sunday pin is back right, tucked behind the bunker, but the green contours can feed the ball round.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Third hole is by far the shortest par 4 so I'll say that one. It's the only par 4 that I could potentially reach in two. Failing that, the 13th, as a short par 5 again it's one of the few I could reach in regulation.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
the 2nd hole Sunday pin is back right, tucked behind the bunker, but the green contours can feed the ball round.

That's right... spent a couple of hours early on sat on the bank left of there and all the putting was on the other side. You get to play away from that bunker! Mind you, down hill or not, it's 575 yards from the back... I wonder what I'd be playing in! :)

And Murgs is right about 14th green, there is an elephant buried under it!

...and that slope front right of 9th green, that is only a slope on TV... in reality, its a small cliff! :)

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say 8 as i'd prefer the tee shot to the 2nd hole and my 3rd would be a nice uphill lie to a bit of a punchbowl green.

D

Deleted member 1147

2 or 8
Par 5’s are generally easier to par. Neither has a water hazard and should be easy to reach in regulation or less.

Visit site
Not sure I would worry about pars, although one at the 13th would be something to behold. I was once told that I wouldn't be able to break 120 round Augusta....off 11/12. The greens are THAT difficult.
But I wouldn't mind trying........