If you could change one thing about Rory..

What would you change about Rory?

• Nothing, it’s just a matter of time

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • His coach

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • His caddy

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Something else, please state

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
He burst on to the scene with tons of potential and has largely fulfilled that; let's be serious, he's done pretty well and there's only one thing missing that he'd love and that's the Masters. The Open, the US Open, the PGA, the Players, the Race to Dubai, the Fed-Ex Cup, the Ryder Cup, the Irish (home) Open, Wentworth, not to mention the other PGA and European Tour wins. As I said, there's only one thing missing, 95% of golfers, past and present, would happily swap careers with him.

But..... he is over analysed, no doubt, and part of him enjoys that I'm sure, as it makes him relevant and there is a professional peer appreciation of the talents he's got (for example, there's a reason the Fitzpatricks, the Lowrys, the Wallaces, the Kisners, etc., aren't over analysed). A number of things stick out in my mind with regards to McIlroy - he's a natural talent, carefully nurtured by his father and 'local' coach and caddy at the start and surrounded by people happy to keep the pressure at bay. Eventually the 'boy' becomes a 'man' and wants more control and say over things and this is where pressure begins to mount - sure he has people around him to advise, but he's making the decisions. McIlroy is not like Tiger Woods - Gerry is nothing like Woods Senior (that's a good thing) - but Woods was preconditioned to not only be the best golfer but also to have the mentality to deal with it (how this affected Woods in later life is a different discussion). McIlroy hurt his foot playing football with his mates. Woods would never do this; McIlroy simply states there's things in a 'normal' life he won't sacrifice for his golf - friends, family, life experiences etc. Is that to be commended with the natural talent he had? Maybe. He's at a crossroads now where he has to decide what way the next 10 years of his career will go. He has enough talent to turn up and occasionally win; he also has the ability to go on a dominant run. As things stand, he's happy to take time off, happy to pursue 'whims' (more distance!), happy to pursue strict fitness regimes, happy to study psychology texts etc. etc. There may or may not be merit in these things (DJ is clear evidence not overthinking things has its benefits). I don't think he works hard enough. He says he works on things, and he does, but he doesn't practice and work on things like, say BDC, or even the many other journeyman golfers. It is a mentality thing, particularly with regard to the standard we seem to want to hold him to - Woods priority as a child was golf. As an amatuer, it was golf. As a pro, it was golf. When he got married it was golf. Latter day Woods priorities his kids over golf, except when he steps across the ropes - then it's only golf. McIlroy, I believe, doesn't have that single-mindedness. I can't criticize him for wanting everything - a contented, happy personal life and a stellar career - I imagine that's what most of instill in our kids, that balance, but it comes at the expense of current golfing greatness. Hopefully he can find a way to focus his mentality, when he practices and plays, it's 100% golf to be the best, and nothing else matters at those points.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stop getting caught up in the hype your miles better than everybody when you on your game,your not and you haven’t been for years.
Get back to playing sensible golf and stop trying to overpower every course.
Yes this .
I also think he put on to much muscle and lost his touch.
He looks a bit leaner now.
Just go back 5/6 years and you will be fine.

evemccc

Visit site
He burst on to the scene with tons of potential and has largely fulfilled that; let's be serious, he's done pretty well and there's only one thing missing that he'd love and that's the Masters. The Open, the US Open, the PGA, the Players, the Race to Dubai, the Fed-Ex Cup, the Ryder Cup, the Irish (home) Open, Wentworth, not to mention the other PGA and European Tour wins. As I said, there's only one thing missing, 95% of golfers, past and present, would happily swap careers with him.

But..... he is over analysed, no doubt, and part of him enjoys that I'm sure, as it makes him relevant and there is a professional peer appreciation of the talents he's got (for example, there's a reason the Fitzpatricks, the Lowrys, the Wallaces, the Kisners, etc., aren't over analysed). A number of things stick out in my mind with regards to McIlroy - he's a natural talent, carefully nurtured by his father and 'local' coach and caddy at the start and surrounded by people happy to keep the pressure at bay. Eventually the 'boy' becomes a 'man' and wants more control and say over things and this is where pressure begins to mount - sure he has people around him to advise, but he's making the decisions. McIlroy is not like Tiger Woods - Gerry is nothing like Woods Senior (that's a good thing) - but Woods was preconditioned to not only be the best golfer but also to have the mentality to deal with it (how this affected Woods in later life is a different discussion). McIlroy hurt his foot playing football with his mates. Woods would never do this; McIlroy simply states there's things in a 'normal' life he won't sacrifice for his golf - friends, family, life experiences etc. Is that to be commended with the natural talent he had? Maybe. He's at a crossroads now where he has to decide what way the next 10 years of his career will go. He has enough talent to turn up and occasionally win; he also has the ability to go on a dominant run. As things stand, he's happy to take time off, happy to pursue 'whims' (more distance!), happy to pursue strict fitness regimes, happy to study psychology texts etc. etc. There may or may not be merit in these things (DJ is clear evidence not overthinking things has its benefits). I don't think he works hard enough. He says he works on things, and he does, but he doesn't practice and work on things like, say BDC, or even the many other journeyman golfers. It is a mentality thing, particularly with regard to the standard we seem to want to hold him to - Woods priority as a child was golf. As an amatuer, it was golf. As a pro, it was golf. When he got married it was golf. Latter day Woods priorities his kids over golf, except when he steps across the ropes - then it's only golf. McIlroy, I believe, doesn't have that single-mindedness. I can't criticize him for wanting everything - a contented, happy personal life and a stellar career - I imagine that's what most of instill in our kids, that balance, but it comes at the expense of current golfing greatness. Hopefully he can find a way to focus his mentality, when he practices and plays, it's 100% golf to be the best, and nothing else matters at those points.

From what I’ve read, Tiger got some pretty chronic injuries - or wear and tear on his body by ‘playing’ at being a Marine

Last edited:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
It was interesting reading his responses, as despite hearing from all and sundry about how great a driver he is, that is no longer the case. The great and the good constantly eulogise about his driving prowess but just using this week as an example, it seemed to me, and feel free to correct me, right from the off he was spending more time in the trees than on the fairway. His driving seemed exceptional poor, long but wayward, and if you are driving poorly it will always put pressure on the rest of your game.
To read that he has tried to increase his swing speed and that he recognises that it has had consequences is a start, he has identified the issue. Can he repair the damage, with his level of talent, absolutely. But as to how long it will take, that is a different matter.

Boomy

Visit site
I think it is 100% the mental side of things that he needs to work on.

He’s got the game, especially when he slows himself down a little - but you can see by his reaction to a bad shot that he’s just not mentally in the zone.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think he's a fun loving type of player, so that when he's relaxed he's brilliant, when he tenses up and worries he's not so great. I'd get him smashed in the bar after a tough day and take him mind away from all things golf to reset his mind ready for the next day. He, I think, puts too much pressure on himself.

evemccc

Visit site
Isn’t that the plan already, by having his childhood mate on his bag?

I think his hey-day has passed. He very well may win another Major or two, but not in the same year and he won’t dominate again

Faldo and Seve won the clear bulk of their majors in a cluster, and I bet the same will be true of Brooks and Rory when all is said and done

Also, by all accounts the level of play on tour has got a lot better in the last 10 years, and when Rory won a lot, he was vying with Donald and Westwood for No 1 in world..his ‘main’ competitors...both still yet to win majors...so there is a plausible argument that the game was a bit weaker when he won a lot

D

Deleted member 1147

Isn’t that the plan already, by having his childhood mate on his bag?

I think his hey-day has passed. He very well may win another Major or two, but not in the same year and he won’t dominate again

Faldo and Seve won the clear bulk of their majors in a cluster, and I bet the same will be true of Brooks and Rory when all is said and done

Also, by all accounts the level of play on tour has got a lot better in the last 10 years, and when Rory won a lot, he was vying with Donald and Westwood for No 1 in world..his ‘main’ competitors...both still yet to win majors...so there is a plausible argument that the game was a bit weaker when he won a lot
Please remember that in 2019 he won 4 times, and before lockdown last year was in the top 5 virtually every week.
Unfortunately he’s come out of lockdown poorly, but as he’s proven throughout his career, he tends to come back strongly.

evemccc

Visit site
Please remember that in 2019 he won 4 times, and before lockdown last year was in the top 5 virtually every week.
Unfortunately he’s come out of lockdown poorly, but as he’s proven throughout his career, he tends to come back strongly.

Yes I know but that’s the beauty of golf - that players can have long careers near their peak — most great players win throughout their careers - (Rory I class as a great) but a lot of great players won their majors in a relatively short time frame

When Rory won his, I’d argue, the game wasn’t as deep or as strong as now, or when Tiger and Phil were at their zenith (because those two, Tiger esp, we’re supremely good)

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I have the impression he hits the ball too hard.
Everybwedge into the green seems to land in about the right place , but then spins away into trouble.
Land the shot either beyond the hole further, or softer with less spin.
It must be a lovely feeling to hit a ball so hard and true, but it's where it finishes up that matters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Just reading that, be odd if Bannon was to continue as well as Cowen.. already quite excited at the prospect of Cowen taking the reins

'It will be intriguing to see which sort of role Bannon retains in the McIlroy backstaff, if indeed, any at all. Sources say that the Co. Down veteran has a long-term deal. Bannon first met the boy wonder when he was the head pro of Holywood Golf Club in Mcilroy’s hometown, near Belfast. As McIlroy took the pro ranks by storm, Bannon quit his position at Bangor Golf Club in 2012 to work solely with his protege, the year in which he won his second major.
'McIlroy is very close to Bannon, and it will be a surprise if that changes, but now down in 11th in the world rankings, he is without a win of any description in 17 months and with his missed cut at The Players clearly feels it was time to freshen things up.
Bannon has not been seen on the PGA Tour for the last few events and part of the problem may well be the travelling issues caused by the pandemic.'

D

Deleted member 1147

I’ve said change coach.But not a permanent change.
I would like him to visit with the likes of Pete Cowan or Butch Harman. Not to change his swing etc, but to think about and consult on areas of the game which could do with improvements.
Cowan is a short game guru, perhaps he could consult on his pitching.
Both are also renowned for their assistance on the mental side of the game, eg when Cowan basically told to Koepka that if he wants to be the best he had to start believing he was the best.
We’ll see if my suggestion was a good one ?

sunshine

Visit site
It was interesting reading his responses, as despite hearing from all and sundry about how great a driver he is, that is no longer the case. The great and the good constantly eulogise about his driving prowess but just using this week as an example, it seemed to me, and feel free to correct me, right from the off he was spending more time in the trees than on the fairway. His driving seemed exceptional poor, long but wayward, and if you are driving poorly it will always put pressure on the rest of your game.
To read that he has tried to increase his swing speed and that he recognises that it has had consequences is a start, he has identified the issue. Can he repair the damage, with his level of talent, absolutely. But as to how long it will take, that is a different matter.

Don't think you can use one week as an indication that he has become a poor driver. Think it's fair to say that when he is on form, Rory remains the best driver on tour. Not quite the length of BDC, but more control and accuracy.