I want to start a scrap......

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do love this kind of argument,I'm a self obsessed club ho,I've had all sorts of irons,Titleist 755's,MacGregor MT Pro M's,Mixuno MP52,MX19,Ping I10's G10's, and lastly Taylormade TP 09's. What I have found was that the so called Better player irons are rewarding when well struck but take a lot of concentration,the SGI'S will let you off with a lot (probably due to the very wide soles).I have settled on a set of Ping Rapture V2'S because I want to have fun on the course,I want to pick a target and hit it straight. It makes me laugh when I hear teen hcp'ers saying they want to be able to work the ball,if your that good then why are you still in the teens? The average golfer I think would be better served trying to hit it straight,or work with what they have got,and game improvement/cavities will do that for you.
So I guess I agree with the op.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do love this kind of argument,I'm a self obsessed club ho,I've had all sorts of irons,Titleist 755's,MacGregor MT Pro M's,Mixuno MP52,MX19,Ping I10's G10's, and lastly Taylormade TP 09's. What I have found was that the so called Better player irons are rewarding when well struck but take a lot of concentration,the SGI'S will let you off with a lot (probably due to the very wide soles).I have settled on a set of Ping Rapture V2'S because I want to have fun on the course,I want to pick a target and hit it straight. It makes me laugh when I hear teen hcp'ers saying they want to be able to work the ball,if your that good then why are you still in the teens? The average golfer I think would be better served trying to hit it straight,or work with what they have got,and game improvement/cavities will do that for you.
So I guess I agree with the op.

Shewy iv been there done that pal...
Iv had a good few swings with different irons also....
An d found similar issues to you...
The nicest set and the one that i would still stick in my bag for me were the WilsonStaff FG Tour irons....
I shot the 2 lowest rounds i ever had with these....
Ok you could argue that when i misshit these i wasnt as far into the clagg as i may have been with other clubs but they still have a bit of forgiveness built into them...

But like you said..... I think that the confidence that most average players would get by just pointing at a green and hitting straight for it would be priceless....But you have that dilemma of what they like to see at address....

From my experience yesterday i think that players cavities put a little more pressure on the short game of club golfers than they are going to admit....Me included....
I definately hit more greens with the G15's than with my i10's but there is a certain element of fun sense of greater acheivement and when you can scramble for par and walk away with it you seem more fulfilled.

I stood over 2 shots with the 4 iron of each set 180 mtrs from the green with a helping breeze....
I was in the middle of the green with the G15 and i was short and right of the green with the i10.....
Basicall i aimed the i10 where i wanted it to start at and allow for my shape but didnt get enough turn on it...
The G15 i just pointed at the green and let fly.

Funny game innit? :0

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was really close to buying the I15's at the beginning of last year. I'd hit them well at demo days and at the range and they were really good. Probably better than my TP's if I was honest but I stubbornly wanted to prove I was good enough. In the end once the R11's came out it was no contest.

That said I'd be keen to put a I20 up against an R11 and see where that led me. The new Pings do look nice and if they offer the same kind of distance, flight and forgiveness as the R11 then they could be a superb club to hit

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My issue with gi and super gi clubs is offset. My bad shots go left, way left. And then a bit more left. Off set makes this worse. Most gi clubs, ESP ping, have massive offset. Not for me.