I want to start a scrap......

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
.................Not scrap heap now mind.....I wasnt going to post this but im bored :)

Ok i know that this issue has be worn out over lots of forums and its probably going to be talked about even when we are all shoving up daisy's....
Im reading over the past few weeks about lots of peoples swings going to crap mine included from changes to this and that and the disheartenment and frustration that it causes but i have a theory on equipment....

Would it be reasonable to say that for game improvement and enjoyment a player should go with big perimeter weighted clubs.....And in contrast my theory is that there are 2 types of club.....Game Improvement and Swing improvement....I dont buy into the different categories of Blades/players cavities/Game Improvement/ and Super Game Improvement.....
I think there are 2 types Game Improvement and Swing Improvement.....

The reason i say this is that yesterday i played with my younger brother...He plays off 19 and uses Ping G15's...
He doesnt practice and plays every week with us...

Then you have me....Practically obsessed with the game and striving to get low and get a good swing with 2 nights a week practice.....I use i10's and to be honest i prefer a smaller club but i wouldnt discount anything bigger than what i use either...

So we played 18 yesterday and i bounced between his G's and my i's....
Now i know there is no such thing as a perfect swing and there are flaws in everybodies.....I used 2 balls on evey hole one hit with the G's and one with the i's.... My assesment.....I had FUN hitting the G15's.....I have swing flaws but these things definately hid them...They are silly easy to get up in the air and ball movement with them is practically a yard or 2 each side of straight....When i tried to draw them they were goiung straight..

On the other hand my i10's were a little harder work and required alot more concentretion....Divots were noticably deeper and it felt like an effort to hit them although not really hard to hit as such...

So iv been wondering would Ping's type of GI clubs make the game more FUN for us and not have so many of us down in the dumps or getting frustrated with our swings because we cant hit the ball dead centre on every swing IF we were able to get over the astethics....For the record i placed one of my '10's alonside these yesterday and face height and length were nearlty the same...Ok obviously the topline and sole thickness differed but that was it...Feeling off the G15's were way softer than the i10's.

Are the type of irons that we play directly impacting our given mood in any particular round...
I will eventually play a full round with a loan of his G15's just for arguments sake if anything but the initial signs yesterday with these was very promising.

I know its the age old question and that everyone prefers their own thing but if you look past preferences for a minute....Would we be happier if, instead of having to worry about getting vibrations up through the hands from a thin or chunking a sod over a ball or slicing or hooking out of bounds from aiming somewhere we shouldnt be to allow for your swing flaws we could just aim at the target and let the clubs do their thing....

Everything we read about Game Improvement clubs seem to tell us that they are ideal for golfers across the board....Those learning the game to those that are improving the game to those of us that havent the time to practice our games......
And also better golfers are told that they will also benefit from them.

Would you be happier if you were helped rather than hindered?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Too many Words for me, what's the top and bottom of it?:)

If i told you id have to Kill you ;)

To cut a long one short im wondering would we be better off playing clubs that helped our game and made the game more fun If we could get over the looks.....
Rather than buying the clubs we like the look of but require time ,dedication and a fair degree of competence to be able to hoit properly.....Lets face it something that in modern day life we all dont exactly have in abundance.

M

MetalMickie

Cannot believe that anyone really thinks that any club will conceal swing flaws. If you don't swing it right it won't matter a damn what club you use. Remember you can't buy a game.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cannot believe that anyone really thinks that any club will conceal swing flaws. If you don't swing it right it won't matter a damn what club you use. Remember you can't buy a game.

Then why are there less and less 2 and 3 irons in peoples bags and more and more Hybrids.

Swing flaw no1...
The average golfer cant swing a long iron fast enough to get it off the ground.
I have flaws and im not afraid to admit it....Im not saying you can buy a better game buy you definately can buy a more enjoyable one.....

Yesterday there was a noticable difference in the movement of the flight of my ball with the wider soled clubs than there was with my i10's....They were a hell of a lot straighter with the G15's.

bigfoot1985

Head Pro
Visit site
i currently use nike sumo clubs and they are so easy to hit, they launch the ball up in the air this being helped by superlite shafts..

I went and tried titliest AP1`s and found them not as easy to hit yet on paper they are suppose to be one of the best irons out there!!

My nikes are standard off the shelf and the Titliest were fitted at 1 inch longer 3 upright

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
2 irons are bloody hard to hit!
Kid, why do you limit yourself to ping? Titleist Mizuno, Callaway, TM etc all make decent GI irons. Perhaps a change of brand might help too? Mentally and actually. There are very few makes that I would rule out just because I've had the same brand myself for years. Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i currently use nike sumo clubs and they are so easy to hit, they launch the ball up in the air this being helped by superlite shafts..

I went and tried titliest AP1`s and found them not as easy to hit yet on paper they are suppose to be one of the best irons out there!!

My nikes are standard off the shelf and the Titliest were fitted at 1 inch longer 3 upright

You went from off the shelf to 1" longer and 3' upright and you wonder why you found them harder to hit? That's a big change.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think you can buy a beter game - otherwise I would still be using thirty year old blades (as I am so tight!). Game improver clubs wont hide flaws granted, but they will limit the effect of off centre\off line hits.

I have had a set of I15s for about 6 months (not brand new - too tight for that!) and its definately alot harder to hit say a hook with the irons than my previous set (Bridgstone J33s) - deliberately or otherwise.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
2 irons are bloody hard to hit!
Kid, why do you limit yourself to ping? Titleist Mizuno, Callaway, TM etc all make decent GI irons. Perhaps a change of brand might help too? Mentally and actually. There are very few makes that I would rule out just because I've had the same brand myself for years. Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side.

No Brendy....Its just a general issue that i have seen over the past few months on the forum....
Everyone seems to have swing issues of some sort or other me included...

I just wanted to see if there actually was a credible argument between clubs that the makers would have us believe.
And to be fair to them...There actually was...

goldenbare

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi Kid
just got some GI20s over Christmas, they seem to come through nicely without me getting in their way, waiting with great expectancy to when the course is in a proper playing condition.
Probably too much optimism as usual

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Kid
just got some GI20s over Christmas, they seem to come through nicely without me getting in their way, waiting with great expectancy to when the course is in a proper playing condition.
Probably too much optimism as usual

I wouldnt think so GB....From what i witnessed yesterday with my brothers G15's you will be grinning hitting your G20's.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The bottom line is you have to find something that suits your swing. I hit my irons really well and just can't get on with these larger headed GI irons as I balloon them up in the air and have no control. SO I go for a more classic looking iron with a small cavity. Still got a bit of forgiveness for off centre hits but I can control the trajectory and shape of shot really well with them compared to GI irons.

Regarding the different types of clubs I think there is only really 3 categories to keep it simple. Game improvement, better players clubs and then blades. If I was to use Ping as an example that would be in order G15, i15 and S56.

So take form that what you want. If you are looking to improve your game get the G15. If you are a better striker of the ball looking for something that you can have more control of the shape and height of different shots, get the i15. If you really strike the ball crisp 9 out of 10 times and want lots of workability on your shots then get some S56.

Nothing wrong with having hybrids in your bags though. Enough tour pros have them now.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
yes but being 6ft 7 i was told that going for a custom fit would improve my game a hell of a lot yet i found them harder to hit

Now I see why you call yourself Bigfoot :D

However, I'm still not surprised you found them harder to hit, an inch longer shafts will alter your posture. A custom fit should fit clubs to your swing, inch longer shafts will alter your swing. I guess in your case it will take time to get used to.

bigfoot1985

Head Pro
Visit site
Now I see why you call yourself Bigfoot :D

However, I'm still not surprised you found them harder to hit, an inch longer shafts will alter your posture. A custom fit should fit clubs to your swing, inch longer shafts will alter your swing. I guess in your case it will take time to get used to.

yes it would alter my posture but i have been using my nike clubs for 2 years now and play pretty well with these irons.

Im not convinced that spending £500 on new clubs would really be worth it and that it would help me out that much?!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No club is going to help if you can't swing it properly. If you have an inherent porblem (in to out, too far from the inside, poor set up etc) all a GI and SGI will do is mask these to a degree. It won't change the swing.

I've made the step backwards from TM TP's to R11's and I'm so glad I did. I'm hitting the ball a lot better and with more confidence. My swing is going through a transition from a lesson I had and the changes the pro implemented and there are still are few things to sort out but already it is working better and even on days when I am not swinging it well I can find a way to get it round. Hawkeye has played a lot with me lately and I'm sure he'll testify (if I pay him enough) that I'm not spraying it so much not both left and right and that the strike is so much better.

In my opinion a GI and SGI will give a higher ball flight and be harder to shape the ball as most players using them need help with the first part and aren't good enough to try and do the second. It seems from your experiment yesterday that you've decided that GI could be the way forward. I say from experience give it a go. I've kept the TP's to use again when I get to a level (10 or lower) where I feel I can do them justice. Until then I'm happy to use a club to help me as much as possible and to get professional help to make my swing as good as it can be with the limited resources available!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
So take form that what you want. If you are looking to improve your game get the G15. If you are a better striker of the ball looking for something that you can have more control of the shape and height of different shots, get the i15. If you really strike the ball crisp 9 out of 10 times and want lots of workability on your shots then get some S56.

Nothing wrong with having hybrids in your bags though. Enough tour pros have them now.

Funny thing with me is that i can hit most irons but i think that the operative word that stuck out for me in your post MadAdey was CONTROL.....
I feel that i can move the ball easier with my i10's but that the G15's i had more control of.....What i take from that i dont rightly know.
Should i be playing the G series irons or is it the fact that im working on my swing causing issues with me hitting the i series....
With my i10's i can pretty much aim where i want the ball to start and have it draw back to within a reasonable area of where i want it to land....
With the G15's if i did that they would practically go straight on the path that i had aimed the club on but just straighter and a little harder to move.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my opinion a GI and SGI will give a higher ball flight and be harder to shape the ball as most players using them need help with the first part and aren't good enough to try and do the second. It seems from your experiment yesterday that you've decided that GI could be the way forward. I say from experience give it a go. I've kept the TP's to use again when I get to a level (10 or lower) where I feel I can do them justice. Until then I'm happy to use a club to help me as much as possible and to get professional help to make my swing as good as it can be with the limited resources available!

Homer me ol mate....:)
I suppose i would'nt say that my i10's are hard to hit to be fair they are probably one of the more forgiving players cavities...They would be very similar in size to your r11's id say...

The big difference i found with the G15's was distance gained at least a club longer, they were straighter and they didnt dig as much.....
I suppose they done everything that they were designed to do.

Would i swap.....?
On a bad swing day id swap at a heartbeat.....
On a good swing day then i think it would be hard to pesuade me to switch.