I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yesterday in rollup…so doesn’t really matter…out in hcap (3 over); back in god knows what…(about 13 over)…things just came apart. No matter as it doesn’t really matter x worse things happen at sea.

And what did my pro/coach say when I grumbled about it to him…’you can’t play good all the time…you’re not Lottie’. Shut me up.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Yesterday in rollup…so doesn’t really matter…out in hcap (3 over); back in god knows what…(about 13 over)…things just came apart. No matter as it doesn’t really matter x worse things happen at sea.

And what did my pro/coach say when I grumbled about it to him…’you can’t play good all the time…you’re not Lottie’. Shut me up.
I see Lottie's odds have shortened from 400-1 to 250-1 for The Chevron.
I imagine that is because many of your members have been piling in. (y)

Mandofred

Visit site
Out this morning....just didn't feel like playing. Nice morning though. Parred the first 3 holes easily....picked up after 4 shots on the 4th....6th hole just handed £3 to one of the guys and said I just don't want to play today. He was worried it was somebody else....nope, just me with a bad attitude. Need some time away I think.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First competition of the year, it was a combined team thing.
I wasn’t happy with how I played, but on reflection it was to my handicap.
I just felt I was getting a load of bad breaks and choddy lies. Some of the bad stuff was poor decision making. I kept ending up around 65-75yards out for 2nd shots that were bad lies and I kept selecting the wrong iron until I just ignored the yardage took less loft and played to feel.
I suppose the 6mile walk yesterday was also a factor… I dunno I feel like my wife wants to sabotage me

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Decided to enter the Stableford - have no cards on my record since December and the course has dried out a little so why not. Started very well, birdied our third hole of the day. Had 20 points for the first nine holes - and this is the first time I've played since they changed the system (14.7 index and playing off 13 in comps, what an absolute joke by the way).

Back nine the wheels absolutely fell off. Driving and putting both deserted me at the same time. Huge two way miss with driver, couple of ridiculous hooks and a slice out of bounds as well. The greens sped up during the round as the morning dew cleared and I just lost the feel completely and started missing two footers, chucking in three-putts everywhere. Ultimately only added 12 points to my first nine score for 32 total. 85 gross.

Just so annoying, I'd much rather have the crap nine first! At least then you don't have the hope. Leading score was only 37 when I left as well - I suppose it makes sense when we've all been robbed of two shots now. But what is golf if not one long disappointment?

Last edited:

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Decided to enter the Stableford - have no cards on my record since December and the course has dried out a little so why not. Started very well, birdied our third hole of the day. Had 20 points for the first nine holes - and this is the first time I've played since they changed the system (14.7 index and playing off 13 in comps, what an absolute joke by the way).

Back nine the wheels absolutely fell off. Driving and putting both deserted me at the same time. Huge two way miss with driver, couple of ridiculous hooks and a slice out of bounds as well. The greens sped up during the round as the morning dew cleared and I just lost the feel completely and started missing two footers, chucking in three-putts everywhere. Ultimately only added 12 points to my first nine score for 32 total. 85 gross.

Just so annoying, I'd much rather have the crap nine first! At least then you don't have the hope. Leading score was only 37 when I left as well - I suppose it makes sense when we've all been robbed of two shots now. But what is golf if not one long disappointment?
Ori, don't fall into the trap that others have, If you are playing off 13 in comps you must have averaged 13 in your best 8, Nobody has robbed you, they are just taking back the extra bonus you've had the last 4 years :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ori, don't fall into the trap that others have, If you are playing off 13 in comps you must have averaged 13 in your best 8, Nobody has robbed you, they are just taking back the extra bonus you've had the last 4 years :D
How's that? I've never played off 13 before in my life. All my best rounds on my current record that are 83s, I'll now have to shoot 81 to beat them presumably. It's nonsense.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
How's that? I've never played off 13 before in my life. All my best rounds on my current record that are 83s, I'll now have to shoot 81 to beat them presumably. It's nonsense.
You need only to shoot 82 to beat an 83.
If you shoot 83 it will be exactly the same as your previous 83s on your handicap record. This has not changed.

Unless I'm wrong.
;)

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mixed team knockout this morning away at Styal, played over 15 holes as 3 were closed and we needed to get the match played, the course was very wet, worse than ours, although the greens were decent and far better that ours. A rare event for me and my partner, we were receiving 4 shots, the girl in the other team had an index of 2. We played mostly pretty well whereas out opponents were a bit erratic and we won 6&4. All the other Ellesmere pairs won too so we had a good win.
Hopefully by the time we play the next round the weather and course conditions will have improved

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
But I won't be playing comps on any of them so who cares?

Then it’s literally the same for everybody isn’t it?

What was the winning score today out of interest?

We have gone from needing to shoot in the 40’s to stand a chance, so shooting your handicap being in the prizes. So whilst I now only get 6 shots, I think it is better.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Then it’s literally the same for everybody isn’t it?

What was the winning score today out of interest?

We have gone from needing to shoot in the 40’s to stand a chance, so shooting your handicap being in the prizes. So whilst I now only get 6 shots, I think it is better.
It's just a personal thing. I've been playing casual rounds all winter off 15, and now it feels like I've been cut to 13 despite playing crap. Sorry for being annoyed at that, it will take me time to adjust but I can only see my handicap going upwards now.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
It's just a personal thing. I've been playing casual rounds all winter off 15, and now it feels like I've been cut to 13 despite playing crap. Sorry for being annoyed at that, it will take me time to adjust but I can only see my handicap going upwards now.

Isn’t your index 14.7? That would give you 14 shots off your whites and 12 off your yellows…..so why have you been playing off 15?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out with Fragger, a mate and hismson this afternoon...gusty winds made life a tad tricky...
Very average front 9 of 7 over with 3 doubles.....
Stellar back 9 of level par, 1 birdie, 1 bogey to finish on handicap and limit the damage of a good card dropping out of my 20...
Probably only a 0.1 increase.
Day off tomorrow as the weather is going to be foul

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
First game in a couple of weeks, which I'd forgotten about until getting a phone call while out on the town last night. Dornoch v Tain v Brora v Golspie. Was out 2nd group as it was by handicap order. Utter garbage, probably the worste ive played in a while, whichbisnt saying much ..🤣freezing cold and windy.