I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Teed off at 7.35 and it was lovely out.

Played ok for 40 points.

Joined up with 2 other members on the back 9 and I’m playing with them next Saturday in my first ever club comp!
Played OK for 40 points!!
You'd better be more positive if you're going to join Smiffy, Leftie and myself, ( that's if Bratty can't make it) at Sundridge Park.
40 points is good golf at any course! Played OK, really! ???

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Seem to be going through a patch of Good Round, Bad Round, Good Round etc.....
Today was a bad round
Only positive to take into tomorrow

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
After a nightmare 98 shots last time, I had zero expectations yesterday. Weather wasn't great, wind got up around halfway, and was 30-40 mph for the last 5 or 6 holes.

Despite all that, I managed to go round in 85, 13 shots better than last week. It is indeed a funny old game.

To be fair, there were a couple of mitigating factors. I got there early enough to have a proper warm up beforehand. Also, after stumbling across a Danny Maude video, I made a little tweak to my swing that had me hitting my irons miles better than I have been recently.

Off to South Shields today, lets hope the tweak continues to work there.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
After a nightmare 98 shots last time, I had zero expectations yesterday. Weather wasn't great, wind got up around halfway, and was 30-40 mph for the last 5 or 6 holes.

Despite all that, I managed to go round in 85, 13 shots better than last week. It is indeed a funny old game.

To be fair, there were a couple of mitigating factors. I got there early enough to have a proper warm up beforehand. Also, after stumbling across a Danny Maude video, I made a little tweak to my swing that had me hitting my irons miles better than I have been recently.

Off to South Shields today, lets hope the tweak continues to work there.
What was the tweak?

Is that a winter open at Shields? Should be a cracker. No wind, clear day, brilliant drainage. Enjoy.

Springveldt

Visit site
Played on Saturday with @Lord Tyrion and my poor form continued. Drove the ball ok after the first one, was in play the whole way round after it but was a bit all over the face and got away with a few. Hit my irons terribly again, I've got the chunks which isn't great on wet ground. Started terrible by firing my first ball of the day OB which is totally my fault since I didn't have any warm up at all. Just got to the tee, put a ball down, 2 practice swings then fired it OB. Also managed to make bogies from 66 and 121 yards in the fairway and made a double from 154 yards in the fairway all due to terrible iron shots. Think I ended up with 31 points from our much shortened course.

@Lord Tyrion hit his new PXG driver great, think he hit all but 1 fairway with it.

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seniors match today at Staverton Park, a glorious October day with full sunshine and polo shirt temperatures, I played the first half dozen holes well and we were 1 up after 6 but then my game just evaporated. I couldn't get a ball off the tee and among the fats and tops with the irons I was shanking it for England.

Luckily my partner came good just as I went off the boil and we managed to get a half., although we lost the match 4.5 to 3.5, can't help but feel that If I'd been able to contribute something worthwhile on the back 9 we'd have won out match and halved overall.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What was the tweak?

Is that a winter open at Shields? Should be a cracker. No wind, clear day, brilliant drainage. Enjoy.

The tweak is what he is talking about at 10.52 on this video

it's the angle the right arm is at, I'm forcing myself to hold my right elbow into my body, it's working wonders for me. struck my irons lovely again today.

It was our Seniors Away Day today. Driver and hybrids didn't perform as well as normal, 3 balls lost, 1 from a bad tee shot, 1 from a wild hybrid shot, and 1 down the middle of the fairway on a par 5, never to be seen again. Greens very fast and tricky compared to ours, so putting was a struggle. Ended up with 30 points which was ok in the circumstances. Weather was lovely and the course was in great nick.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
played a few "turkey shoots" recently, continueing to hit the ball really well but getting demoralised (yet again) on the greens, really struggling with pace, the last couple of rounds the greens have been really slow and I have struggled to get the ball to the hole, then today greens were fast and i was racing the ball past the hole. I hit a lot of greens but had four 3 putts and a four putt, every time overhitting the first putt.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
H4H day at Hayling. Weather was outrageously good for a links course in October. My golf was outrageously bad however. Had about a 15 minute walk trying to find the 7th tee where I was starting on, then promptly blobbed that one (I think I actually forgot it was a par 5 and picked up after 6 as well, classic). Two more silly blobs on the 12th and 18th. At least I got more pars than blobs, with four of them. Finally found some consistency on the last six-ish holes and scraped 28 points, but it was pretty poor all round. I hit a few fairways but was only getting about 200 yards with a changeable breeze and zero roll on the soft ground. Struck the ball pretty poorly with all clubs. Knifed irons and fatted pitches. Couple of decent putts here and there.

Great company from @evemccc (Rob) and @Patster1969 - Rob had a good round but a costly blob left him on 35 points. Pat was like prime Seve whenever he was in a bunker or a gorse bush, left it within about 3 feet every time. ? He also beat me with a decent round of 31.

Gutted to have played so cack - I really don't think links is for me, but had a lovely day, great food, and excellent company. I think playing at a nice easy, short course gives me a false perception that I'm actually not bad at golf, then I go somewhere proper and get found out.?

evemccc

Visit site
H4H day at Hayling. Weather was outrageously good for a links course in October. My golf was outrageously bad however. Had about a 15 minute walk trying to find the 7th tee where I was starting on, then promptly blobbed that one (I think I actually forgot it was a par 5 and picked up after 6 as well, classic). Two more silly blobs on the 12th and 18th. At least I got more pars than blobs, with four of them. Finally found some consistency on the last six-ish holes and scraped 28 points, but it was pretty poor all round. I hit a few fairways but was only getting about 200 yards with a changeable breeze and zero roll on the soft ground. Struck the ball pretty poorly with all clubs. Knifed irons and fatted pitches. Couple of decent putts here and there.

Great company from @evemccc (Rob) and @Patster1969 - Rob had a good round but a costly blob left him on 35 points. Pat was like prime Seve whenever he was in a bunker or a gorse bush, left it within about 3 feet every time. ? He also beat me with a decent round of 31.

Gutted to have played so cack - I really don't think links is for me, but had a lovely day, great food, and excellent company. I think playing at a nice easy, short course gives me a false perception that I'm actually not bad at golf, then I go somewhere proper and get found out.?

Don’t be so hard on yourself — it’s golf — one day ‘crap’ the next is ‘good’…honestly I didn’t even keep score in my round on Monday after starting Double, Double, Triple, Snowman…I genuinely would not have got more than 23/24 points. I still loved it, and you’ll be back for more at the weekend and will play well ???

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had a free day today and the sun was out so took myself to the course. Place was rammed.

Was on my own and had planned on maybe playing 11 or so. Got through 4 groups and was clear to the finish from the 12th so played all 18.

Had the driver on a string. Holed very little. Chipped ok but missed all up and downs frustratingly.

Preferred lies makes it easier but struck the ball well. 4 over with no birdies. I certainly take it.

Thursday night range sessions really helping this time of year.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A day of experimentation yesterday.

1. Dialled down the driver from 10.5 to 9 degrees in an attempt to lose some height and gain a bit of distance. Results mixed - hit quite a few good ones, a couple of really bad ones and didn't see a great reduction in height. To be continued.

2. Persevered with the swing change I made earlier in the week. Seeing really good results with my irons, over the moon about this.

3. Made a conscious decision to use my 22 degree 4 hybrid as much as possible. Despite hitting my 19 and 26 degree hybrids well, I've had a mental block with this club, never seemed to work and has been in the bag but never used for months now. Had a good hit with it on the practice ground beforehand, and then used it 7 or 8 times, went well for me, so hopefully that's sorted. (Probably didn't help that the 3 hybrids are all different makes.)

All in all, a very productive day. Shot 84 (38 points) despite an 8 and a 7 which both resulted from the 2 awful drives.

Unfortunately today's game is off due to the weather, and I'm away for a few days after that so no golf till Tuesday.

Hacky

Visit site
Played Mid Sussex today and rather chuffed to have broken 100 (and beat my son, who plays 4.4, with 38 points to his 36 in the process). Course was in excellent condition, just a shame the greens have recently been tined and overseeded which caused a few wayward bobbles.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Played Farnham with Swinger, Frankie and PNWokingham. Managed to avoid most of the rain, and course was good, especially the greens.

Very disappointed not to give Frankie and Slasher a dog licence, but the dream team had to be content with a 7 and 5.:eek:

Actually managed to play well with Steve for once, and after a 7,7 start, shot a decent 80 gross. Last 14 holes in one over par was not bad. Previous local knowledge must have helped.

Slasher loved the bunkers, as he seemed to be in everyone on the course. Think his arms were aching from all the raking.:)