I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Farnham with Swinger, Frankie and PNWokingham. Managed to avoid most of the rain, and course was good, especially the greens.

Very disappointed not to give Frankie and Slasher a dog licence, but the dream team had to be content with a 7 and 5.:eek:

Actually managed to play well with Steve for once, and after a 7,7 start, shot a decent 80 gross. Last 14 holes in one over par was not bad. Previous local knowledge must have helped.

Slasher loved the bunkers, as he seemed to be in everyone on the course. Think his arms were aching from all the raking.:)
Did he have some Hamlets with him? ????

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yesterday and Thursday i played at St Pierre in a society meet. Thursday Mathern and Yesterday the old. The greens were sloooooow both days. Played OK but didn’t win anything. What did surprise me were the amount of chestnuts below the trees. They must have been about 2 inch deep in places and a nightmare to find your ball in. Even worse was if the wind blew and you were below the canopy they rained down on you. ?

Jason.H

Visit site
Another strange round in today’s strokeplay. 1 over gross after 9, 5 over gross after 10. Quadruple bogey ? A double bogey later and finished with gross 77. So most of what I’m doing is excellent with 15 holes parred. Still missing too many good birdie chances.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Great day playing hickory foursomes at Delamere Forest, course was in great condition and I doubt we'll get a better day's weather in what's left of the year.

Won our match and won overall.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I won the monthly medal yesterday and the monthly stableford a couple of weeks ago. Is it possible to be a bandit off 3? ? ?
And many low h/cappers complain that they can't win under WHS ...

You must be a bandit ;)

Well played though sir. (y)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Alarm went off this morning - rain bouncing off windows. Stuff in car, raining. Drive to course, the final 10 mins were double speed wipers ? . If it hadn't been a delayed knockout semi, wouldn't have bothered. Forecasts did suggest it ought to stop about 1.5 hours in. Thankfully there were close, brolly away on 8th. Plenty of poor golf on display, 2 down after 9, but hit some good irons coming in and managed to close it out before the last shot hole, 17 (was giving 8). Phew.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Alarm went off this morning, it's chucking it down. Deciding to go and play anyway or the missus would make me do housework all day otherwise. Mate was still up for playing as well. Teed off in gentle rain for the first three holes, then it was downpour time. There was not another soul on the course so we literally just stood under our brollies for half an hour by the 4th tee seeing if the monsoon would calm down. ? Eventually just got bored of waiting and cracked on with it, tipping it down for the rest of the front nine - we still played pretty decent though, I was mainly making bogeys.

Halfway down the 9th the rain had gone and the sun was out, just like that. Brolly taken down, jacket put away, it was lovely and warm. Continued playing decent with bogeys and pars. In the end I only made one double all day and that was on the very first hole. Shot 81 for 36 points. My mate played even better with 78 for 40 points. There were a few generous gimmes in that during the early holes where puddles were sat on the green. But I'm pleased for him as he's not had many good rounds this year. Something about playing in torrential rain that makes you stop caring about the outcome, which I think is the ideal mindset. If it wasn't for the half hour standing still that we did, we'd have been round in 2.5 hours - never lost a ball between us nor even had to search for one.

idiotdogbrain

Visit site
Got a last-minute WhatsApp from a colleague yesterday so joined him for 18 at Hurtmore. Was hitting driver better than I have in a while, shame the same can't be said about my irons, chipping or putting.. ?‍♂️ ? Managed to blag enough pars for an 88 which I was very happy with, and the course played far better than expected given the rain during the week.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Deciding to go and play anyway or the missus would make me do housework all day otherwise.

The mind boggles that you made enough mess to spend all day doing housework when theres just the 2 of you. I dread to think how long its going to take you when you've got a toddler running around!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The mind boggles that you made enough mess to spend all day doing housework when theres just the 2 of you. I dread to think how long its going to take you when you've got a toddler running around!
By housework I meant a lot more than just tidying. We need to strip out and redecorate the second bedroom. I absolutely despise DIY though and can only do it under immense time pressure.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
@Voyager EMH and another member from his club visited my place this afternoon, all playing vintage/classic clubs, my set comprised:
Sparkbrook Cypress Point polymer 1, 3 & 4 woods, circa late 1960s
George Nicoll Henry Cotton 2 to 10 irons, 1957
Slazenger Gary Player SW, 1961
Donaldson Pinfinder putter, 1930s

We gave ourselves a target of 75 points from best two Stableford on each hole.
It sounded a fairly simple target but although I play old stuff all the time, Voyager switches between new and old and the other member from his club has played maybe half a dozen vintage rounds.

We started well and were on 11 points after two holes but then gradually slipped behind to the point where the target was looking more of a mountain, however, a grandstand finish on the last 4 holes, 6, 6, 6 and 56 points saw us home with (I think) 76 points.

A very enjoyable round from every angle.

1666731668472.png1666731576828.png

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to the driving range after work. Just had 50 balls and decided to experiment with a couple of things that were pointed out to me on my swing video thread the other week.

1. Standing more upright.

Yeah, no chance. Tried it and can't even get the ball off the ground - all shanks, tops and duffs. It was like I'd literally never played before. Sacked that idea off straight away.

2. Adding wrist hinge at the top of the backswing.

Started with 8 iron. Surprised how well it went to be honest. I was hitting it pretty long with no obvious downside. I thought maybe I'd start slicing it while I got used to hinging my wrist more, but no, the grouping was pretty good. Maybe even better than usual if anything. I even felt that the wrist hinge may have encouraged a better more downward strike as well.

Moved onto the 6 iron next. Still striking it fairly well, but the flight was incredibly low for some reason. The very first one for example was a bullet - 172 yards total distance but height was only 15 yards (TopTracer stats). A couple went 166-167 yards with only 11 yards height! That seems really low to me? It was like I was hitting stingers accidentally.

Then went to hybrid - results were more mediocre here. Still not going any further than the new 6 iron, but the height is more like 17-18 yards, plus they faded more.

Lastly I hit the 46 wedge. Only got three shots in before it was too dark and TopTracer stopped working (according to the guy who works there ?) but it was going as much as 10 yards longer than the last two occasions I went to this range. I hit draws with all 3 of them though (not on purpose) - I have noticed that my irons seems to fade and my wedges seem to draw, probably a crossover point where I stop leaving the face open with the shorter clubs and my flat swing takes over.

I'll try and take the wrist hinge into this weekend and see how I do. It's a 4-person team scramble on Sunday so perfect opportunity to try something different.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
@Voyager EMH and another member from his club visited my place this afternoon, all playing vintage/classic clubs, my set comprised:
Sparkbrook Cypress Point polymer 1, 3 & 4 woods, circa late 1960s
George Nicoll Henry Cotton 2 to 10 irons, 1957
Slazenger Gary Player SW, 1961
Donaldson Pinfinder putter, 1930s

We gave ourselves a target of 75 points from best two Stableford on each hole.
It sounded a fairly simple target but although I play old stuff all the time, Voyager switches between new and old and the other member from his club has played maybe half a dozen vintage rounds.

We started well and were on 11 points after two holes but then gradually slipped behind to the point where the target was looking more of a mountain, however, a grandstand finish on the last 4 holes, 6, 6, 6 and 56 points saw us home with (I think) 76 points.

A very enjoyable round from every angle.

View attachment 44945View attachment 44944
Very enjoyable round at @Crow's course yesterday. Best 2-from-3 stableford total was 77 points (I kept score!) and last 4 holes went 6, 6, 6, 5.
One birdie each from the three of us - which always seems far more thrilling with the old clubs.

I played 1959 Slazenger Bobby Locke ADL woods and irons and a Slazenger Bobby Locke "Personal" putter.

11.JPG

12.jpg

putter 01.jpg

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A tad breezy on the chalk today....gusts around 25/30 made life ....interesting shall we say.
I was hitting the ball well at my shaft fitting yesterday and it continued today.
A nice birdie on the 3rd, a couple of bogeys and the rest pars to turn at +1 (20 points)
Back 9 was virtually identical bar the birdie to finish 3 over (40 points)
Index looks like it's dropping to 5.0, once again my lowest under WHS
A nett par round or 36 points in my next 3 rounds will see me to my lowest ever handicap......
Having a decent Autumn