I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a fantastic day at The London Club yesterday on my work golf day, organised by another company that we work with. Superb place that I've not been to before. Bacon & sausage rolls on arrival, teed off at 1:40pm. I was playing with three guys who were all given 24 handicaps for this, but were definitely a lot higher in reality (I was given 12 when really I should be receiving 15 shots as we were on the Heritage course). We also had buggies but as it was one between two I don't think that made it any quicker at all, since you have to drive to both players' balls in turn. Consequently a fairly long 4 hours 50 minutes with the last group only just putting out before dark! I really didn't mind though as the course was incredible - probably one of my favourites that I've played. Greens were lightning quick and everything was in good nick. A challenging but not impossible course, quite long in places and plenty of lakes about, but I only lost one ball in the drink all day so not too bad. I generally played well bar one or two holes, annoyingly I duffed a chip on the final hole and got a double bogey that took me to 90 gross, whereas 89 would been nicer, but I still wasn't too gutted with that given how unforgiving the course was in places. I managed 31 points off of 12, whereas off my real handicap it would have been 33.

The weather was the only downer, had a torrential downpour for a couple of holes and it just stayed freezing cold after that so I left my jacket on for the rest of it. Also our buggy kept malfunctioning as the GPS was buggered - kept disabling forward gear as it reckoned we were close to a green when in fact we were on the next tee already. :LOL:

Our team didn't win - it was best two scores from the team in the end, with my 31 points one of the other guys who was a big hitter but a bit wayward scored 27. Some of the handicaps going round were pretty much made up out of thin air though so I'm not sure anyone overly cared which team won. Had a lovely two course meal put out for us afterwards as well, and we were even given London Club branded Bluetooth speakers as a gift which was unexpected. Brilliant day!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was out closing mixed on Sunday and another game with our club captain, we havent had the best of rounds all season but we started really well with three 3 pointers early on and had 21 points after nine, then normal service was resumed and we only managed 8 points on the back 9.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a fantastic day at The London Club yesterday on my work golf day, organised by another company that we work with. Superb place that I've not been to before. Bacon & sausage rolls on arrival, teed off at 1:40pm. I was playing with three guys who were all given 24 handicaps for this, but were definitely a lot higher in reality (I was given 12 when really I should be receiving 15 shots as we were on the Heritage course). We also had buggies but as it was one between two I don't think that made it any quicker at all, since you have to drive to both players' balls in turn. Consequently a fairly long 4 hours 50 minutes with the last group only just putting out before dark! I really didn't mind though as the course was incredible - probably one of my favourites that I've played. Greens were lightning quick and everything was in good nick. A challenging but not impossible course, quite long in places and plenty of lakes about, but I only lost one ball in the drink all day so not too bad. I generally played well bar one or two holes, annoyingly I duffed a chip on the final hole and got a double bogey that took me to 90 gross, whereas 89 would been nicer, but I still wasn't too gutted with that given how unforgiving the course was in places. I managed 31 points off of 12, whereas off my real handicap it would have been 33.

The weather was the only downer, had a torrential downpour for a couple of holes and it just stayed freezing cold after that so I left my jacket on for the rest of it. Also our buggy kept malfunctioning as the GPS was buggered - kept disabling forward gear as it reckoned we were close to a green when in fact we were on the next tee already. :LOL:

Our team didn't win - it was best two scores from the team in the end, with my 31 points one of the other guys who was a big hitter but a bit wayward scored 27. Some of the handicaps going round were pretty much made up out of thin air though so I'm not sure anyone overly cared which team won. Had a lovely two course meal put out for us afterwards as well, and we were even given London Club branded Bluetooth speakers as a gift which was unexpected. Brilliant day!

With that much food, I hope someone else was paying the bill

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Weekly roll up this morning, the ultimate "what could have been" round.

Was in 7 bunkers (4 in the first 5 holes), the pond on the 10th and the ditch on the 12th. Despite that, hardly hit a bad shot, driving was good, was hitting my irons the best I have in months, and putted well.

Ended up with 32 points, but it really should have been a lot more, got so many bad bounces it was unreal.

To finish it off, pulled my drive a bit left on the 18th, looked at my watch which said 190 yards to the back of the green. Hit a great hybrid which flew the green and went through the back about 20 yards. Couldn't believe it, so looked at the watch again, only to see it was telling me the distance to the 17th green, not the 18th!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Though I’ve lived not 15mins from Hankley Common for more than 25yrs I‘ve not played it…until today. What a cracking track. Course was in superb condition, with greens running a really nice quick pace. Had just the one naughty one (on the 16th) which resulted in a blob, otherwise a pretty tidy 34pts off whites (11 over) which I’ll take any day.

Many thanks to Simon for hosting, and to John and Paul for their golf and companionship.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Though I’ve lived not 15mins from Hankley Common for more than 25yrs I‘ve not played it…until today. What a cracking track. Course was in superb condition, with greens running a really nice quick pace. Had just the one naughty one (on the 16th) which resulted in a blob, otherwise a pretty tidy 34pts off whites (11 over) which I’ll take any day.

Many thanks to Simon for hosting, and to John and Paul for their golf and companionship.
I've said it before, and I'll say it now: you lucky bugger!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Had a lovely day today at Pyecombe courtesy of Chris, (Golfmmad). Joined by Leftie and Bratty, and what jolly japes we had.
Bratty played really well, amassing four birdies, (????), so won the money with his 37 points. I came second with 33, Chris came third with 29 and Leftie didn't play very well ???
A great day, weather was gorgeous and the course was in superb condition, especially the greens. Super quick, possibly the quickest I've putted on all season.
Thanks again Chris, much appreciated.

Bratty

Visit site
Had a lovely day today at Pyecombe courtesy of Chris, (Golfmmad). Joined by Leftie and Bratty, and what jolly japes we had.
Bratty played really well, amassing four birdies, (????), so won the money with his 37 points. I came second with 33, Chris came third with 29 and Leftie didn't play very well ???
A great day, weather was gorgeous and the course was in superb condition, especially the greens. Super quick, possibly the quickest I've putted on all season.
Thanks again Chris, much appreciated.
Well, I was beaten to the post by @Smiffy, but his post is very accurate. A lovely day was had by all, and for the final time, my huge thanks to Chris (@Golfmmad) for organising... and to Rob for giving up smoking. And to @Leftie for outdriving Rob a couple of times and providing quality mockery!
What Smiffy hasn't shared is him almost soiling his pants as he farted a few times whilst practice swinging and then a really dodgy sounding one on the downswing! Chris was in tears!
Pyecombe is very close to being a hidden gem, in so much it's a lovely course, interesting holes, couple of great holes and I'd not heard of it! If you haven't played it, I recommend it wholly. I'll post some pics in the relevant section.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Today was the Kent Veterans League winners championship, so each of the local winners from around the county had 5 pairs of players in a 4bbb Stableford. There was , I think, 10 teams, and all teams accumulated scores from their 5 pairs. We won it with a combined score of 190 points. ???. My partner and I had 40 points which was pretty good playing at Langley Park

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Today was the Kent Veterans League winners championship, so each of the local winners from around the county had 5 pairs of players in a 4bbb Stableford. There was , I think, 10 teams, and all teams accumulated scores from their 5 pairs. We won it with a combined score of 190 points. ???. My partner and I had 40 points which was pretty good playing at Langley Park

Well played Chris ?. What did you think of Langley Park? We have a reciprocal there, I must go back and play it again, must be at least 20 years since I’ve played there.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Well played Chris ?. What did you think of Langley Park? We have a reciprocal there, I must go back and play it again, must be at least 20 years since I’ve played there.

Cheers Richard

Long, long and longer. Too many par 4's well over 400 yards. For example, the 4th, par 4, 448 yards to the middle - I hit a drive of about 240 yards, had 210 left so hit a 3 rescue club to the back of the green for par. Almost every par 4 was a driver and a wood, ultimately very samey. It was in good condition but very much a slog.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Cheers Richard

Long, long and longer. Too many par 4's well over 400 yards. For example, the 4th, par 4, 448 yards to the middle - I hit a drive of about 240 yards, had 210 left so hit a 3 rescue club to the back of the green for par. Almost every par 4 was a driver and a wood, ultimately very samey. It was in good condition but very much a slog.

Interesting. I remember a quote from Henry Cotton that was along the lines of ‘a good course makes you use every club in your bag’ and when I was younger Langley Park made me do that. Be interesting to see if it’s still the case for me or if it has changed.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, I was beaten to the post by @Smiffy, but his post is very accurate. A lovely day was had by all, and for the final time, my huge thanks to Chris (@Golfmmad) for organising... and to Rob for giving up smoking. And to @Leftie for outdriving Rob a couple of times and providing quality mockery!
What Smiffy hasn't shared is him almost soiling his pants as he farted a few times whilst practice swinging and then a really dodgy sounding one on the downswing! Chris was in tears!
Pyecombe is very close to being a hidden gem, in so much it's a lovely course, interesting holes, couple of great holes and I'd not heard of it! If you haven't played it, I recommend it wholly. I'll post some pics in the relevant section.

Thanks Rob and Simon it was a pleasure to host today.

The banter between Smiffy and Bratty was a joy to behold and also with Leftie chiming in and giving them stick when required ??
Smiffy was right, Bratty's driving is a pleasure to watch - he played very well.

Was such a good laugh today - if you get a chance to play with these guys, grab it, you won't be disappointed!

Look forward to meeting up again soon guys! ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting. I remember a quote from Henry Cotton that was along the lines of ‘a good course makes you use every club in your bag’ and when I was younger Langley Park made me do that. Be interesting to see if it’s still the case for me or if it has changed.

Not sure about that, I had to use a driver on every par 4 and the one par 5, i was driving well and about 245 yards average , so many holes required a long club for the approach so I only hit wedges when I came up short so never hit that many different clubs - as one of the other guys remarked for his round "I've worn my rescue club out"

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Yes I really enjoyed playing Pyecombe with Chris (my brother) nice course with some good holes I particularly liked the par 5 15th (I think) I will be back.

Glad you guys enjoyed your day.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Not sure about that, I had to use a driver on every par 4 and the one par 5, i was driving well and about 245 yards average , so many holes required a long club for the approach so I only hit wedges when I came up short so never hit that many different clubs - as one of the other guys remarked for his round "I've worn my rescue club out"

It was a few years ago Chris, so I was a bit longer. I’ll see how it pans out if I get back.

Bratty

Visit site
Yes I really enjoyed playing Pyecombe with Chris (my brother) nice course with some good holes I particularly liked the par 5 15th (I think) I will be back.

Glad you guys enjoyed your day.
I'll be heading back for sure... assuming they'll have me back! ?