I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in a four man team event yesterday at an away course, 2 scores to count. On the 8th hole, after a pushed drive my ball was under some trees. There was no route back to my own fairway so I opted to play down the adjacent fairway. I had a restricted swing and due to overhanging branches I had to keep the ball low to advance it. Cue a massive shank onto the fairway to the other side of the one I was trying to play down. My team mates were in good positions so I left my ball where it finished. Was a new pro v1 for that round but no way was I doing a walk of shame across two fairways to go get it. ??

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Things had been going so well, and then yesterday a couple of complete topped tee shots; a shank and a few other total botches. I know why I did all…My head wasn’t on the golf course (difficult home and family stuff)…so focus wasn’t there…I became frustrated and so didn‘t do pre-shot what I have to…and so I reverted to old me. Bad!!!

Anyway..even with all that only 10 over and 35pts…so still most def. not the end of the world. And a handy reminder.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Had a very strange round at Ramsey yesterday.

Was going to put a card in but the greens looked like they had recently been worked on so didn’t bother. Turns out the greens ran quite nicely if not a little slow.

With the wind behind on the first making running out of fairway a real possibility, I decided to break my hit driver everywhere rule and proceeded to top a 4 wood instead. At which point I was pleased I’d not signed up to submit a score.

I kept my head and made a bogey.

On the par 3 second I was about a yard of carry short of having a birdie chance. Instead I had an impossible bunker shot and had to hole a 6 footer for double.

To cut a long story short I was 5 over after 5, not striking it well and it started raining and I’d left my umbrella in the car.

So rather annoyed I went full send it on the par 5 6th and hit a perfect drive, was at the side of the green in 2 and lipped out for birdie. Things we’re looking up.

Struck a love 6 iron on the next which took a funny bounce and finished in a bunker. From which I holed out for birdie. I then proceeded to play the best stretch of golf I can remember. I made birdie on 8 and 9 to finish just 2 over for the front 9.

My birdie putt finished an inch short on 10. Made birdie from 10ft on 11. Sloppy bogie on 12. Hit it to 8ft on 13 and somehow the birdie put didn’t go in after hitting a tine hole. Lipped out for birdie on 14, it the flag with a chip on 15, left a birdie putt a couple of inches short on 16. All was going well.

Then onto the 200 yard par 3 17th which was into the wind. We had to wait for two groups to play before us. Things didn’t go well and I made a very good bogey.

Another long wait greeted us on 18. Which should be a real birdie opportunity. A poor drive left me with a full gap wedge to an easy pin position. I slightly pulled it and looked on in amazement as it landed over the back of the green under a crab apple tree. I had hit the wrong wedge ?

My next shot didn’t go well, having my ball resting on a rotting apple wasn’t great, and mage a mess. I eventually finished with a double.

It’s hard to be annoyed after shooting 75. But, the start and finish really annoyed me.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A nice leisurely 18 just completed.
78 for 40 points.
Good off the tee and fairway.
Putting ok
Chipping decent so regular golf pay is paying off

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Up at the crack of dawn to play in the final of our seniors matchplay knockout. I was getting 11 shots and had been playing well recently, but unfortunately out of nowhere I developed a wild slice with my driver.

Was 2up after 7, but lost 5 of the next 6 holes to be 3 down after 13. Then won the next three to be all square on the 17th tee. Double bogey 6 was enough for a half on 17, but a sliced drive on the par 5 18th put me out of position and the OP played it well for a par 5, which I couldn’t match and lost by one.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Played 10 this morning with my brother, 9 over I finished with an 8 and a 7 in the mix.
Excellent ball striking which was the main thing and driving again excellent.
Just a couple of stupid mistakes on 2 holes which gave me big numbers.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out with the larks first thing for a solo before the throng of a Sunday morning at the club..
Played 10 to 15 and then 12 to 18 keeping out of the way of the advancing hordes...
I'm guessing I hit the ball quite well - 32 points from the 13 holes played...:cool:

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Frustrating 77 today, hit the ball terribly on holes 1-7 but scrambled well to be +2, then picked it up and was still +2 after 14, including missing a couple of good birdie chances. I then hit a massive pull on 15 and the club went straight under the ball…..double! Missed a short putt on 16, and then 3-stabbed on 17! Hit two lovely shots on 18, shame the birdie putt burned the lip - just about summed up the day.

Should be a small cut, and see me down into the 6.x tomorrow, will be my lowest ever.

Jason.H

Visit site
First ever level par round of 70 in one of our major comps. 41 points as I’m playing off 4.7 so unlikely to win. Did get an eagle 2 holing out from 120 yards on one of out tough par 4,s. Weirdly I’ve been putting woefully the last few weeks so to put well today after the greens have been hollow tined midweek was a welcome surprise.

So finished 1st in division 1 but missed out on overall by 1 point to a 21 handicapper. Only got cut 0.1 as a 71 dropped off my counting scores.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Played in my first proper society this weekend.

Came last over the two days.

Apparently my initials will be sown into the losers jacket which I will have to wear at next years summit where I’ll basically be everyone’s b*tch and be on waiter duties.

And just to top it off I totally forgot it was my anniversary today.

I did however manage to scrape 2 x closest to the pin rollovers just to soften the blow where I rushed straight to Asda to buy some flowers with my winnings. Got there about a minute before it shut.

Result

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
... it wasn't great. League match at Chartham Park, 4BBB. Found the 1st fairway off my opening drive, 120 yards left with a shot. Then look at the ball more closely. In a divot. Chunk it short the water and then halve the hole... with a shot. It was a rally average day after that for both me and my partner. We struggled to putt after 6 holes and my approach play was truly awful. Shot 4 over handicap (approx) and lost 4&3.
Hoping for better at Pyecombe on Wednesday.
A note about Chartham Park: the course is pretty nice with a couple of lovely holes (par 5 11th being one) but the greens while rolling true, are dark and patchy, which my eyes struggled with and most of the tee boxes (whites at least) are in a truly shocking state, very patchy and poorly cut.
They didn't take up EGU/Kent Golf's allowance for pick and place on fairways during August, so lots of old divots with growth struggling and all bunkers are GUR, so free drops outside, but you can choose to play out of them if you wish, if you don't fancy the lie you'd get if dropping. Never heard of this before.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seniors at Hillside today. 4bbb!
38pts and two blobs.
Wind was quite brutal and it was a test of your golf.
Ball was moving on the greens in the wind.
What a golf course! The more I play there the more I like it
Fantastic condition an absolute joy to play.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Played like a piece of poo for 17 holes on Sunday in the roll up for a whopping 27 points.

Eagled the 18th though - Just to keep things interesting :ROFLMAO:

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
... it wasn't great. League match at Chartham Park, 4BBB. Found the 1st fairway off my opening drive, 120 yards left with a shot. Then look at the ball more closely. In a divot. Chunk it short the water and then halve the hole... with a shot. It was a rally average day after that for both me and my partner. We struggled to putt after 6 holes and my approach play was truly awful. Shot 4 over handicap (approx) and lost 4&3.
Hoping for better at Pyecombe on Wednesday.
A note about Chartham Park: the course is pretty nice with a couple of lovely holes (par 5 11th being one) but the greens while rolling true, are dark and patchy, which my eyes struggled with and most of the tee boxes (whites at least) are in a truly shocking state, very patchy and poorly cut.
They didn't take up EGU/Kent Golf's allowance for pick and place on fairways during August, so lots of old divots with growth struggling and all bunkers are GUR, so free drops outside, but you can choose to play out of them if you wish, if you don't fancy the lie you'd get if dropping. Never heard of this before.

I really like Chartham but, last time I played there about a year ago, they were still recovering from a bad leatherjacket problem on some of the fairways. You mention Kent Golf, but Chartham is in West Sussex.

D

Deleted member 15344

Played Centurion with some old school forumers ( shame both don’t post anymore ) - weather was a bit in and out , same with the golf , some great birdies , course in good Nick and starting to mature.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just a knockabout with CVG this morning...no card, vague scoring, weather looked like the end of the world one minute, summer's day the next.
Nothing of note except a nice incident on the 8th
Par 3, 180 and the wind is slightly into but more left to right..
It had died down a bit so I took my 5 iron up to the tee.
Got there and the wind started howling again
Couldn't be bothered to change clubs but CVG offered to lend me his 5 wood.
Teed it up, smooth swing, baby draw, 3 feet from the hole....birdie despatched.
He wasn't best pleased when he pushed his shot deep into the thick stuff and made a 5.....?