I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out with CVG this morning....can park was quiet even when we left...most strange..
Up and down front 9 of +5 (16 points)...birdied the 3rd for 4 points for the 2nd day running:giggle: but 2 doubles blemished the card.
Steadier back 9 starting with a very slippery, downhill birdie on 10.
Finished the 9 2 over (20 points) so 7 over total and 36 points.
Enough for a 0.2 cut to 5.4...nearly losing my shot on the SI7 17th..the toughest hole on the course. A par 4 and ifnyou walk off with a 5 youre as happy as Larry...:oops:
It's weird because I didn't feel I played that well but still walked off with 3 birdies and 36 points....so much left out there - again..

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
On Sunday I witnessed what some may call a once in a lifetime round

79 year old member at our club, been a member at Raven for 20+ years and a member elsewhere before then. Current playing handicap 21.

Playing in a team stableford event - General v Seniors v Vets v Ladies - this chap shot a WHOPPING 51 points. 51 freakin points, in an individual stableford.

Never has he ever gone so low btw, he just could not hit a bad shot. Everything was straight off the tee. Every putt left a tap in or dropped in, it was incredible to witness.

Only thing that soured it? He shot BELOW his age! 7 over gross 76 at the age of 79. Awesome.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Club seniors comp this morning - 40 entrants.
Equalled my 8th best score and came 13th place.
Got a 2.
No one else did.
£40 - kerching! Pro-shop credit.

Used this putter today - did quite well with it.

CC01.JPG
CC05.JPG
CC04.JPG

EDIT: email came in saying 1st place was £40 - other prizes down to 5th place. No mention of my 2. Just as well. Would only upset some I'm sure.

Last edited:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
played last night and played ok. the greens were hollow tined on Monday so it was like putting on Margate beach minus the dead bodies, burnt out cars and homeless people.

off to sudbury for a game tomorrow

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Played plenty over the summer while off from work and now down to my lowest ever HI of 12.4

Considering I only came to golf 2 years ago I'm pleased with my progress! Would love to maintain 12 over the winter months and maybe move lower again next summer!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Run of decent results in comps continues with a 6 over gross and a 39pts 5th place (out of 40) in Thursday Roll-up. Winner scored 43pts - difficult for me to do that…however I hit 10 GIR and only holed one birdie putt, with a good 4 or so of 6ft or under missed. So 43 wasn’t out of the question.

Overall good news on the ‘change’ front.

I note that the Thursday Rollup would typically have 60+ entries. Apparently numbers have fallen off dramatically since it was classified as a WHS qualifying comp. Is it any coincidence that the vast majority of those playing in this Rollup are Seniors.

Word has it that many just don’t really get how WHS works and so avoid playing more WHS qualifying comps than required. Either that or they don’t want to have to hole tap-ins or have rubbish, or even good, scores in their 20.

Whatever it is, it is not good.

Last edited:

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Silly old game, from the disaster on the weekend to a quick 9 after work shooting +2 gross.

Short game was curiously good. Up and down on 2, 7 and 9.

Somehow nearly missed the green from 60 yards on the 4th… left me with a monumentally long putt that I 3 putted.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Due to play with a mate this afternoon,don't usually do afternoons, but he wanted to put a card in so needed someone to play with to do that.due on the tee at 3.15, no sign of him then get a text, he'd had a puncture and was waiting for the AA the big Jessie. So just went out on my own, first game in a week, but decided to play it as if I was putting a score in and took it seriously which I never do if playing on my own. Hit it well especially off the tee, one over out into a 2 club wind. Back in one over one birdie 2 bogies. Most disappointing was a bogy on the last, hit a cracking drive and only had 6 iron for my 2nd, which I pulled into fairway bunker short of the green, then stuck it from that into the left hand greenside, hit a good bunker shot but went off the back as the flag was just short of the back with a big swail behind.
Happy with how I hit it, after not touching a club for over a week.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First game for a few weeks today due to back problems. Seniors comp was cut back to 9 holes due to the heavy rain and pretty happy with my 21 points in the conditions.

D

Deleted member 15344

Club charity day yesterday

Nice two under 69 for 41 points

Results announced - 10th place 42 points ??

winners on 47 winning on countback

Both the top two playing off over 28 handicap both with 13/14 before WHS ???

One is going to win every handicap KO this year

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Club charity day yesterday

Nice two under 69 for 41 points

Results announced - 10th place 42 points ??

winners on 47 winning on countback

Both the top two playing off over 28 handicap both with 13/14 before WHS ???

One is going to win every handicap KO this year

Surely your club's handicap committee have the power to address this?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Won the long drive at a charity open a week or two ago. Went up to the prize giving last night.

Was given a bottle of vodka and a free bouncey castle rental. Haha wasnt expecting that.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Strange round today - birdied the first which is usually a sign of impending doom. Sure enough I doubled the next and bogeyed the third before another birdie on the fourth.

It was one of those days. Really good golf with a few unlucky bounces and shots included.

Examples:

6th - zapped what I can only assume was the bush behind the flag as I hit the exact shot I wanted and it went straight into the bush. Went from what I thought would be a routine par to a triple.

16th - pulled my approach into the first cut to the left of the greenside bunker. I've hit a few balls into there into the past and have come to the conclusion that its the Bermuda triangle for balls as I couldn't bloody find it. Again, what should have been a bogey at worst ended up a triple.

18th - pulled a drive and was left with a 210 yard approach into the wind. But importantly I had a line... or so I thought. I struck my hybrid perfectly and watched it clip the very edge of the only tree it could have hit and drop about 100 yards short of the green.

Ended up shooting my handicap but in reality there was probably 6 shots out there for the taking.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Bad day today. Betterball open at Cooden, partnered my 4 handicapped mate Greg. Forecast wasn't great, light drizzle when we teed off, got gradually worse as the round progressed. As a glasses wearer, my feelings on playing in the rain are well documented. I bloody hate it. By seven holes I could hardly see a thing. Ended up with 35 points, putting was a lottery in the rain as the greens got flooded. 43 points won it. But a day I'd rather forget.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just got in from playing
Sudbury - what a cracking course!

Highlight were a 9iron to 8ft on the 170yard 13th. Then on the 14th i hit a 250yard 7 wood to 20ft and the eagle putt was 1/2 roll short.

Only 1 3 putt and that was on the 18th.

Driving wasn’t great as I was swinging way toohard to start with.

Chipping was pretty decent

34 points was only good enough for 4th but was on the winning team so got my green fee back