I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Seniors Club Championship today. Played solid after a triple bogey on 1st (gaaah!) to finish a decent (for me of late a very decent...) 7 over par gross (3 under PH for the day) and in field of 87 came 3rd Gross and 8th Nett.

Plus possibly my best ever birdie 2 (at least in my recollection I cannot remember a better one). Par 3 - pulled tee shot maybe 10yds left of green into deep grass but level with flag. Had to hit a open face lob wedge out over a deep greenside bunker to a narrow green - so much peril and no room at all to work with, but got it absolutely perfect. Ball popped up into the air and dropped softly over the bunker from a good height onto the near fringe which killed it and it rolled straight down the slope of the green slap bang into the middle of the hole. I even did a little celebratory punch of the air (yes - naff I know but hey).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played Painswick today with the "total gents" that are @Crow and @Voyager EMH using old clubs. In my case Dunlop Blueflash irons and Woods from the 70s.

Lots of fun. Painswick is wonderfully nuts with excellent views. Playing with old clubs is a real eye opener.

Really enjoyed the day out, cheers chaps!!
Isn't Painswick just one fun track to play. That little par 3 up the hill into what feels like a bowl :D

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played Painswick today with the "total gents" that are @Crow and @Voyager EMH using old clubs. In my case Dunlop Blueflash irons and Woods from the 70s.

Lots of fun. Painswick is wonderfully nuts with excellent views. Playing with old clubs is a real eye opener.

Really enjoyed the day out, cheers chaps!!

Cheers Ian, really enjoyed playing with you and Voyager, and Painswick lived up to the expectations, what great fun!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Played yesterday - final handicap card and all 3 rounds have been below standard.

My handicap has come back at 22.8 so I'll be off 28 on the white tees - definitely need to get some additional cards in now asap, so I can get that down.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played yesterday - final handicap card and all 3 rounds have been below standard.

My handicap has come back at 22.8 so I'll be off 28 on the white tees - definitely need to get some additional cards in now asap, so I can get that down.

That's because you've spent so much time on the LIV Golf thread, you've lost the motivation to try. ;)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
That's because you've spent so much time on the LIV Golf thread, you've lost the motivation to try. ;)

Playing the Saturday roll up this weekend, think there's about £25 for winning the division, obviously I should be shooting at least ten under knowing there's a financial reward for playing well. :ROFLMAO:

Springveldt

Visit site
Played last night and was pretty solid for 3 hours 20 minutes and absolutely terrible for 15 minutes where it seems like I forgot how to hit a ball. Made an awful double on a par 5 as I took 5 to get down from 101 yards which included a shank, a bladed pitch and then a 3 putt. Later on I went one better were I took 5 to get down from 155 yards in the middle of the fairway after having to chip out backwards from some trees for a beautiful treble, which was on 16. Missed a 2 footer on 17 which meant another double (again chipping out of tree trouble) to put me in a real bad mood then chipped in on 18 for a birdie which made my pint taste a whole lot better. The chip was from the front of the green with the pin at the back so probably about 25 yards. It hit the flag at pace and dropped straight in. So, flag in boys. :LOL:

11 pars, 1 birdie, 3 bogies, 2 doubles and a treble for a 79 which is a differential of 6.4. Not a counting score but adds to the "backups" of 2 78's for when my counting scores start dropping off.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played in a seniors match at Ifield. On the 12th, my chip landed on the edge of the green and fell down what must have been a small animal hole. When I looked down the hole, it sloped away at the bottom and my ball had disappeared!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just 8 holes before we go on a week holiday. When back the club champs will have been and the autumn course work including tinning of greens will have got underway. So just felt a few holes to appreciate and enjoy the course in the great condition its in before...even although I know it will recover in a couple or three to pretty much as it is today.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
A Stableford today and I was playing of a course handicap of 8 instead of 10 for the first time, I skipped 9 due to a cut and the recent change in slope.
I struggled, we have 6 par 3s, 6 par 4s and 6 par 5s. I played the par 3s abysmally just 3 points, par 3s are generally the holes I play the worst but i usually make up on the par 5s, although all of a sudden i am not getting shots on half of them.
I also found myself going for everything to try t omake up the shot I was dropping and it generally didnt come off.
So i ended up with a pathetic 24 points, clearly I need to get my head around the fact that I am not not getting shots on more holes than I am.

4LEX

Visit site
Played a fairly easy course today and shot 82, my worst score for about 5 years. Got smashed 7+5 although I was giving 23 shots away and he made at least 6 pars :censored::ROFLMAO: Usually never miss a fairway by more than 10 yards but ended up losing 3 balls :confused:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just two of us this afternoon, course was pretty empty as well. Entered the Stableford comp.

Was struggling with driver today, which is unlike me, kept getting the accidental draw when setting up for my standard fade, and then the odd slice creeping in on other holes as well so didn't know what way I was going. Managed to keep it together for some bogeys, and parred the SI1 12th, but doubled the 13th & 15th (having started on the 8th). Parred the 17th but then there was an absolutely torrential downpour, during which I couldn't hit a ball and subsequently blobbed the 18th. Made pars at the 1st, 2nd & 3rd to slightly make up for it, although I don't get shots on two of those now. Kept it tidy with two pointers right through to the end.

Ended up with 35 points for the second week running. Shame that one blob in the monsoon cost me a good score really. I think this will go in as a counting round, with 0.1 shaved off my handicap. Always good to put a counter down though. Nowhere near it in the comp obviously, that's being led by a 25 capper with 42 points. I think I played some decent golf and it was actually the unpredictable drives that cost me a few shots today. If I was driving like I normally do it could have been a sub-80 round I reckon. Onwards and upwards.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Semi finals of the Club pairs knockout.
Giving 13 & 19 shots.
The 19 handicapper par’d stroke 1 & 2 with ease.
6 birdies between myself and my playing partner only gave 1 hole win.
2nd year running we’ve been stuffed by high handicappers that play way way under handicap. Had enough now, no more handicapped match play for me. I’ll stick to playing with the scratch lads.
Hate being beat by handicaps, not proper golf.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Monthly medal today - and the first time of playing off my new lowest ever handicap index. 95% got me playing off 16 which is a novelty to me. Absolutely pleased as punch to get round in 84 - a nett level par. Didn't win any money off the two mates I was playing with but who cares. I got round without disgracing the new handicap. And an extra cut to come. :):)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
In the club team today, away at the club that had moved above us into 1st position. Bit nervous having not been on course since last weekend's horror show. Poor chip & putt on first for bogey and 1 down. Then a good run including 2 birds putting me 5 up at the turn ? Oppo was giving me a 'matchplay even par 9'. Four halves followed to reach dormie 5. Then lost 3 on the bounce ?, before finally closing out with a par half.
Team was 3 - 2 up with two groups to finish. Both groups were A/S on 18th tee, and both lost ☹ That be golf!