I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Springveldt

Visit site
Scrambled well today as my ball striking wasn’t great. Slow start as I was 4 over after 4 due to a shocking double on the 4th but played the next 12 holes in +2. On the 17th I tried to hit a little cut over some trees as if you get it right the tee shot will catch a hill and run most of the way down towards the green leaving you a fairly short pitch shot. Ended up carving it way right OB into the farmers field. Hit my provisional as I wanted to hit the first (285 yards according to ShotScope) which left me 45 yards to the flag. Managed to get up and down for a bogey, which was a great save in the end.

Ended up with a 77 for a net 72 and what should be a 0.1 cut as it will knock a 78 off. Really happy with how I played the last 14 holes and managed to save the round.

Bright spot was the 3 sand saves I made from green side bunkers, not sure I’ve made 3 all season.

Not so bright was I missed all 5 par 3 greens and was +4 for them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Entered the monthly Stableford. Started on 13th and started well with a couple of pars, silly double on the 16th but parred 17 & 18. Started struggling after that. Doubled the 1st. Absolutely stole a par on the 2nd when my drive finished about 2 inches away from going in the ditch, but managed to hack it up to the front of the green and get down in two from there. Consecutive doubles on the 5th and 6th for 1 & 0 points killed my chances of a really good round. Scrambled pars on both the par 5s (8th & 9th) after pretty poor drives on both. Finished with 3 steady bogeys to card 82 for 35 points. Was quite happy with that as it was a bit of struggle but I recovered and putted really well to keep it going in places. Eight pars but the four doubles are what cost me.

13th in the overall leaderboard at the moment, but 2nd in division one - the comp is open tomorrow as well though so I'll probably lose that. Handicap wise though I think this may improve upon one of my other counting rounds very slightly for a 0.2 cut or something like that.

I also played with the best player in the club today, off +1.5 so playing -2 playing hcap today. Whenever I was hitting driver he seemed to be hitting 4 iron, then on the 17th when I'm hitting 7 wood, he had the driver out going for the green. ? Just a different game. Great to watch someone like that play though. He did hit some delightful shots. He shot one under gross for 35 points, so I actually finished above him on countback, ha. But I'm not sure why he even enters Stablefords and I don't think he is either - the current leader is on 44 pts so he'd have to shoot 58 gross to match that. ?

evemccc

Visit site
Entered the monthly Stableford. Started on 13th and started well with a couple of pars, silly double on the 16th but parred 17 & 18. Started struggling after that. Doubled the 1st. Absolutely stole a par on the 2nd when my drive finished about 2 inches away from going in the ditch, but managed to hack it up to the front of the green and get down in two from there. Consecutive doubles on the 5th and 6th for 1 & 0 points killed my chances of a really good round. Scrambled pars on both the par 5s (8th & 9th) after pretty poor drives on both. Finished with 3 steady bogeys to card 82 for 35 points. Was quite happy with that as it was a bit of struggle but I recovered and putted really well to keep it going in places. Eight pars but the four doubles are what cost me.

13th in the overall leaderboard at the moment, but 2nd in division one - the comp is open tomorrow as well though so I'll probably lose that. Handicap wise though I think this may improve upon one of my other counting rounds very slightly for a 0.2 cut or something like that.

I also played with the best player in the club today, off +1.5 so playing -2 playing hcap today. Whenever I was hitting driver he seemed to be hitting 4 iron, then on the 17th when I'm hitting 7 wood, he had the driver out going for the green. ? Just a different game. Great to watch someone like that play though. He did hit some delightful shots. He shot one under gross for 35 points, so I actually finished above him on countback, ha. But I'm not sure why he even enters Stablefords and I don't think he is either - the current leader is on 44 pts so he'd have to shoot 58 gross to match that. ?

Sounds like a good day and good scoring in the warm weekend sunshine — I’m guessing that’s why a + handicap golfer wanted to play today, perfect golfing weather on a Saturday afternoon and as he’s a member it’ll be ‘free’…the same reason we all enter comps..just to play golf!

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

How far was his 4 iron going compared to your driver?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I played today and...
I'm either a complete berk for starting so badly or I showed great presence of mind to stage a brilliant recovery.
Perhaps both are true. I don't know.
What I do know is that it is a stupid game sometimes, though I still love it, always.
Club comp.

220827 score.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: ------------------------------- :):D:):):D

Differential of 3.6 scored.
0.3 off the HI again.

12th place out of 142 entrants. (EDIT: I was actually tied for 12th with ten others, but I had the best back nine!)

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Played Machrihanish Dunes today. Some spectacular holes but an absolute slog walking between holes on the back nine. That kind took a lot of the gloss of the course for us. Played off the whites, and had a pretty startling front nine. Bogeyed the first, then par’d the next 5 holes, going out in +4. Normal service then resumed, a couple of doubles on the back but rallied with a birdie and a couple more pars to come home with +7 on the back, net 66 overall. Very happy with that round.

Despite playing really well, didn’t enjoy the course as much as the Old yesterday. Some of the holes were much prettier, the par 3’s were fabulous, but the trek from hole to hole just wiped us out physically. I wouldn’t want to play the Dunes as my regular course, that’s for sure

Skytot

Visit site
We had our Captains Day 1st day comp today. Checked on HDID at 6 clock at there was a 67 and few 68s in . Checked at 7 clock , boom 58 in . 9 shots better than 2nd . It was nicely poised for tomorrow until that 58 came in . Oh I had a 73

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Today was my best ball striking round for as long as I can remember.

I hit a few irons so well they were going a full club longer than I was expecting.

My putting wasn’t great on the front 9 due to very slow bumpy greens. Hit 7 GIR but had 3 three putts ?

Putted better on the back 9 but missed a 4 ft birdie put and lipped out for birdie twice before finally sinking a 10 footer on the last for birdie.

Annoying I made one double which came on 17 with just 147 left to the pin after my best drive of the round. Right after I thought to myself I hadn’t had a double yet ?‍♂️

39 out and back for a 78 that should have been much lower.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yesterdays knock was a shambles off the tee with my driver, three balls lost and other tee shots ending in, let’s call the, sub-optimal positions. Rest of game OK. Now today it’s monthly Sunday medal - thinking I may well keep driver in bag for show…approach 2nd shots are much more preferable to shorter approach 4th shots. Anyway - I’ll lose a 5.8, about 7 over round my place, and my current best not counting is 10.3 ?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Knockout quarters yesterday, ought to have been a good game, similar HI both been logging okay scores recently - but we both played so poorly! It really was attritional. I managed to 'recover' to 3 down at the turn. Briefly found 3 pars to level it to then go 5 off the next tee! After a wrong fairway terrible tee shot on 17 I went up for the first time after oppo 3 stabbed. Hung on with a rubbish final hole to win. We were both just awful!
Oh, and trolley battery ran out after 15, and GPS stopped on 16!

Last edited:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Was a what could have been today, waiting for that low round and it nearly happened.

Started a little wobbly, but then birdied my third hole to get back on track. Through 17 holes I had kept a double off the card and thrown in 3 birdies to be +3 gross. Ended up with a quad bogey on the last ?.

On the positive side, it should be a cut of 0.9 to bring me down to 12.2. Finished with 42 points to take 1st place.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Today can be summed up by the following three holes;

- on the 6th I couldn’t believe I didn’t carry the ditch in front of the green, only to find out I’d pulled my 9i from the bag, not my 8i.
- on the 7th I drove it just short of the green, chipped it to 1ft, missed the putt.
- on the 8th, I had an 8.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Let's just say that I didn't score well - in fact I scored dreadfully; though in one of these curious ways of golf I came off feeling pretty OK - not brilliant - but OK. The day was lovely; the course in superb condition; and I actually executed quite few shots just as I'd intended.

How fortunate am I to be a member of a lovely club and to play our infuriating but rewarding game in difficult times such as these. There but for the grace of my God.

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
Struggled today. Been having lessons recently, which are going well, but there have been a number of changes to my swing which I am struggling to take on to the course. I didn’t hit my irons too badly but I just can’t seem to hit driver at the moment. At all. Can barely find the face and generally top it. I think it’s a mental/tension thing on the course, since I tend to hit it fine on the range. I didn’t score completely terribly (nett +3) but I probably dropped at least 8 shots just from taking an extra shot to get to where my tee shot should have been.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Enjoy. Loved Dunaverty. What a superb little village club.

Loved that meet we did up there a few years ago. One of the best forum meets I did.

What a fantastic track!! Wasn’t sure playing the first and second, but from three onwards it’s awesome. Absolutely loved it despite having to give the course 3 shots back. The views are incredible, can even see Ailsa Craig from the fourth tee ?‍♂️ ?Just loved everything about the course, a lot of fun to play, and managed +12 with a lost ball for a 78. I don’t think it’s as easy as the slope indicates, but anyone heading over that way to play the two Machrihanish courses, add this to your trip, it’s the best of the three, did I mention the stunning views….?

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Semi final of the Club Challenge (the singles matchplay knockout) today. Got off to a poor start when I pulled my tee shot to the left and the ball ended up rolling up against, then under, the netting protecting the property behind the 1st green - said netting being not quite on the boundary.. Got relief because the netting interfered with my swing, but sadly, the NOPR was still behind the net with no means of escape. Could see no solution to the problem, and in absence of info/guidance from the club, I felt there was no option but to concede the hole.

Thereafter the match was tight - I was generally behind but eventually got one hole in front after 15. And then threw it away by completely naffing up 16 & 17. Had to win 18 to keep match alive. My 40ft birdie putt end up about 4 inches from the hole and was conceded. His chip for birdie was wide so he had a 4 footer to half the hole & win the match. He putted. And it stopped short - right on the lip. We watched and waited - and after about 8 seconds, it moved and flopped into the hole. Gutted.

4LEX

Visit site
Played Friday in a friendly 'Scratch Match' with a good friend and exceptional player. I was 3 down at the turn and he started the back nine birdie and eagle. I managed to find some form and won 5 of the next 7 holes to scramble a half! One of those games where you just laugh and enjoy a few pints after :cool:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m playing the best golf of my life.
Practiced like crazy over the winter thanks to the mild weather.
Won 3 comps and 2 trophies in the last 3 weeks and have shot 2 level par rounds,albeit in a pairs comp and a friendly game.
Will 100% be a 4 handicap soon.
Played yesterday and shot a 2 over 71
Now a 4 handicap
Currently 4.2
Hard work and practice payed off.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
This bloody game does my head in sometimes....
Standing on the 16th tee 3 over gross/34 points, feeling in control, swinging well.......
And then the fertiliser hits the rotary air device.....
Admittedly a poor swing, ball hits tree and cannons deep into the jungle - gone...double.
Decent drive on 17, 3 wood into the green, ball hits fairway side of a tree and cannons into deep rough on the non fairway side of the tree.. quite how that worked I've no idea - triple.
Sloppy bogey on 18
6 shots gone in 3 holes.
Hit 2 trees and ended up dead..just to add that Fragger hit 2 trees and they both came out fairway side
Always said if I had the luck that Fragger gets I'd be off Scratch..
Still got a 0.1 cut which takes me to 6.1 and I lose my shot on the difficult par 3 5th..
But it should have been a 3 or 4 over total and a much better cut.....stupid game