I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Played Perranporth on a beautiful but blustery evening yesterday.

It’s certainly an interesting course and was in fantastic condition. It was good fun but not somewhere I’d want to play regularly.

The number of blind shots and some crazy landing areas made it challenging to work out where to hit the ball to.

The greens were quite firm so a few times with the wind behind it was a struggle to hold the green. Which is fine if there is a sensible option to run the ball in from short.

I did manage to play all 18 with the same ball though. Which was particularly satisfying, and a close call more than once. It created a nice bit of pressure on the last few holes.

84 blows was a respectable score all things considered. 5 dropped shots were just from me hitting a fat shot.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Well
I had a very good day today
Medal. Packed course, very slow
Index 22.4 so playing off 26

Started off Birdie Par, bogie, bogie, par, par and it just went on and on
Gross 39 for the front 9, beating @Imurg who had gross 40
Would have had 27 points if playing stableford,

Unfortunately we were badly delayed on the 10th tee hanging around for the best part of 20 minutes and things returned to near normal on the back 9

Recorded a gross 90 for a net 64 and clubhouse leader with about 15 scores still to come in out of a field of 123

Index should come down to 20 so 3 shots off the playing handicap

Little Bro got net 73 but did record a 2 so gets a dib of the 2’s pot

One very happy Fragger ?

I somehow failed to mention in the above post that this was a Board Comp
So yours truly is going to have his name etched as the Winner of The Silver Cleek Medal 2022 for posterity ??

Who’d have thought it ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I somehow failed to mention in the above post that this was a Board Comp
So yours truly is going to have his name etched as the Winner of The Silver Cleek Medal 2022 for posterity ??
Sadly the board is close to the kitchen hatch where we order food...just to remind me....:rolleyes:

Played with the Old Fella this morning..out at 7.
A couple of groups went off the 10th but we decided to go,off the 1st as I reckoned there would be a big queue kn the 1st by 8.30 - I was right.
At least 15 people waiting plus the 2 groups that went off the 10th when we turned.
A 4 ball had just teed off and we knew it was going to be a slow 9 but they let us through after 3 or 4 holes and we ended up finishing in about the normal time...
Played much better today - I was better gross today than I was nett yesterday..78 blows, 37 points and a small cut...
Same points for Fragger and a small cut for him too....
Glorious morning out there - we did t see anyone else on the front 9 until we were on the 7th....it'll be mayhem this afternoon..

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
Played with Little Chubby Bro today
Out just before 7 am in glorious conditions. Playing off my newly chopped handicap scores were 18-20 on the front 9. In his favour

Started the back 9 like a train parring the first 3 holes, couple of bad holes 14 & 15, but ended up on 37 points each
So I had him on countback.

Shot 94 gross so that will replace a 99 as a counting score, so looks like I’m coming down a bit more ??

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
How were the greens? During the summer they are as good as you will ever play anywhere. We never have trouble getting a team together for an away match there.

Greens were lush, very receptive and actually had a bit of poa seed in places. Poole obviously gets better weather as the course seemed to be about 4 weeks ahead of Hindhead in terms of growth and recovery from maintenance.

Not a criticism, but they were slower than Hindhead’s greens…

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Greens were lush, very receptive and actually had a bit of poa seed in places. Poole obviously gets better weather as the course seemed to be about 4 weeks ahead of Hindhead in terms of growth and recovery from maintenance.

Not a criticism, but they were slower than Hindhead’s greens…
Don’t know your handicap, but if you are a very low single figure golfer get yourself entered into the Wimborne Cup. 36 hole open and the course is immaculate. Even if you have no chance of winning it is a great day out.

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
Is that the guy that posts on here about playing with big chubby bro? ?

Yeah that’s him ??

Although technically my chubbyness is largely as the result of surgical procedures that have left a number of huge incisional hernias around my middle, whereas he is just a porker?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played on Maybole nine hole course with my wife and father-in-law. (We're in Ayrshire for Easter.) Clubhouse was locked up, strangely, so after asking around we were advised to just play for free! Very hilly course which makes it challenging, but the fairways were nice and wide. Not a single short par 3 until the 9th. I shot 43 which I was fairly pleased with (ten over). One triple on a long par 3 is what cost me really. Wife played quite well and shot 60 - beating her old man who got 62. He hadn't played in a good 5 years so there were some ropey shots and some decent ones. I hadn't played with him before so it was a good laugh anyway.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Don’t know your handicap, but if you are a very low single figure golfer get yourself entered into the Wimborne Cup. 36 hole open and the course is immaculate. Even if you have no chance of winning it is a great day out.
Maybe one day but I’m not that good yet. 9.5 hoping to get down to 7ish this year

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
And I was garbage. Shot 98! Nothing went right....apart from a couple of sliced drives. Lost loads of balls.
But ....the wife was really good. Shot 102, but really should have been about 96. She still had 39 points, and was annoyed she didn't do better. She's clouting the ball 170 off the tee and arrow straight. I'm in trouble. I'm not even the best golfer in our house.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hit it OK this morning, but couldn't hole a thing, hit some good iron shots close, holed none of them. Only birdie was as the result of driving just short of the green for a 2 put birdie on 15.

I played with a different ball today too. Was given a sleeve of mizuno RB566 a few weeks ago, but hadn't used them as I assumed they were rocks. Something popped up on FB about them so armed with that info tried them today.
Soft off the putter, ball had a high ball flight, def went a bit higher than a pro v for me. Have to find the box to see which version it as as I think there are 2 peice and 4 peice versions. Going to give it a try again tomorrow.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played my old home club Belton Park today as we managed to get up to Lincolnshire for the weekend. Went round with an old school friend and course was surprisingly quiet.
Once we’d gone through a 4-ball, we had nothing in front.

Superb weather and to top it off, didn’t play like a total knob. Hadn’t swung a club since playing down at Blackmoor with Swinger a few weeks after H4H, so was pleased to go round in 13 over with a stupid double at 7 and a ball in the water on the par 3 14th. Too many 3 putts over all as the greens and pin placements were tricky.

Course was in great nick and it’s unbelievable value at £20 for members guests. Probably be my last round before H4H ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What a difference a few days makes. Won my first round tie in the summer singles knockout 3&2 on Wednesday and hit it pretty well. I was 2 down after 11 and then made four straight pars (including SI 1 and 5) to go 2 up. My opponent then made a hash of 16 while I was pin high left of the 16th green and he shook hands without me needing to chip or putt. Today I was all over the shot. Hit it awfully and felt like the swing had so many moving parts and I was thrashing at it with the arms and not turning. Scored 34 points but that was a case of playing ugly (VERY UGLY) and scrambling. The only redeeming feature was my old Ping Anser 2 got an outing now it has been reshafted and regripped and it was lovely. Two day bogey comp this week. Not holding my breathe

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Foursomes match yesterday. I didn’t play well and was feeling quite down, but kept going…All square up 18 and with opponents looking very likely to get down in two I had a tricky pitch over green side bunker from bare lie and needing to give my partner a decent chance putt. I damn near holed it - a gimme. Hole halved. Match all square and so up 1st. Feeling bit better hit good tee shot. Partner put me to 70yds. Opponents on in three but 20ft away…I pitched to 3ft. Opponents two putted, partner holed putt for the match win.

Lesson that I have learned over many years of foursomes. When things not going well and you feel rubbish, just keep going. Golfs a funny game and as tough as it can be you never know when things can turn round.

Need to play better on Monday in Final of Club Winter Singles K/O. Giving 3shots. Will play a casual knock today to refresh and top up my positivity.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ist ever bogey comp today. Played pretty well tee to green but just could not sink a putt. The number which lipped out or just shaved the hole was ridiculous. Ended up -4, could and should have been much better.