I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Drawn comp today, course feeling long with the softer ground, plus the 7th back on normal tees (had been off reds for a while). My FC was receiving 29 shots and was -1 gross after 3! I hung on his coat tails to be +3 after 9, but frustratingly was +6 for remaining 9. A couple of silly 3 putts & a couple of mis hits. Looking like the 38 pts will be 1 behind leader and sitting in 3rd. Oh well was generally pleased with ball striking. Oh and my FC finished with 37 pts.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played at Preston with a couple of pals in a split sixes game. After a terrible start (i was 7 over through 4 holes) i didn't play too bad with the exception of my wedges. Anything over a little pitch was resulting in 2 inch deep divots for some reason. New one for me as I don't usually take much of a divot at all.

Anyway, despite being 6 points back at the turn I ended up winning by 7.

Golf certainly wasn't the winner but for once I was.

A split sixes game. ?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
A split sixes game. ?

Its a great little format for playing in a three ball.

Shots given per hole as in stableford to get a net score for each hole. 6 pts available for each hole and split as below:

Outright winner gets 4 pts,
Clear second gets 2 pts
Loser gets 0pts

If the hole is drawn between three people its 2pts each,
Drawn between 2, 3pts each, 0 for the loser.

If there is a winner and a tied second on a hole the winner gets 4 pts and the two tied players receive a point each.

Sounds complicated but you get the hang of it quickly. Can swing quite quickly as well so you never feel out of it!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its a great little format for playing in a three ball.

Shots given per hole as in stableford to get a net score for each hole. 6 pts available for each hole and split as below:

Outright winner gets 4 pts,
Clear second gets 2 pts
Loser gets 0pts

If the hole is drawn between three people its 2pts each,
Drawn between 2, 3pts each, 0 for the loser.

If there is a winner and a tied second on a hole the winner gets 4 pts and the two tied players receive a point each.

Sounds complicated but you get the hang of it quickly. Can swing quite quickly as well so you never feel out of it!

Ah, we already play that but we call it 'The Six Pointer'. (y)

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Monthly medal today.

Started terribly with a triple on the 1st and 2nd but I rallied hard and was 5 over for the next 16 holes.

Ended up with a net 69 and a top 5 finish. Big lesson learnt today about persevering and not giving up which really could have been easy after that start!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Was a lovely day for golf. Driving once again not great, but able to keep the ball in play. Then on 15 something clicked, then what I was doing in my lesson and on the range for a couple of weeks made an appearance. Hopefully its a sign that permanent improvement is on the way.

Most of the rest of my game was not too bad, got away with a couple of thinish irons, which I didn't mind as it's a product of swing changes.

I just need to trust the changes I'm making and stop trying to 'steer' the ball into play.

81 off the back tees isn't too bad considering I threw in a couple of really silly doubles.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went round our course with my 28 hcap mate. A bit hungover after a few drinks last night (first ones in ages). There was a match on the first tee so he said we could start on the 12th, weirdly. 12th is our hardest hole though so we didn't mind getting it out of the way first. Sadly I found the ditch just short of the green so had to drop out and started with a double bogey. It ended up being the only double bogey I made all round. Seven pars ten bogeys for a gross of... 80. That's the third time I've shot 80 in the last couple of months, and I'm still yet to break it. ? As usual there were two putts that were literally one inch short from dropping. Getting kind of silly now, but hey, at least I played well. 39 points. My mate shot 95 for 37 points too so our hangovers didn't hold us back too much.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played with the boys today, managed to dodge the rain. Played pretty well, considering I've not played much of late due to caddy jobs. 1 under gross, two bogies 3 birdies, best being a 4 on the 7th out of the fairway bunker. Driving not great on the first 3 holes, but hit my irons pretty well and putted well. Had a caddy job yesterday with a French footballer who had played for Marsielle, PSG and St Etienne, only been playing a year off 9, boy could hit a ball was carrying it 280 plus. Must have been a day for footballers as there was a 4 ball behind of Celtic present and ex behind.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Broke 100 for the 1st time since starting golf 3 months ago. Get a bit of consistency and then onwards to 90!

Congrats! I can still remember the excitement of breaking 100 a few years back after taking up golf in my late 50s. Although I regularly break it now, I cannot quite get down to breaking 90. Hopefully you will do so. Good luck.

D

Deleted member 3432

A 2 under 70 today, struck the ball very well and it could have been much better as I burned the edge all day.

Perfect conditions to play, flat calm going out and the wind picked up to a 2 club breeze on our backs coming in. Still some run on the fairways but soft enough that you aren't getting the big bounce into trouble so course won't play
any easier.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Not on course but had a really useful range session. I'd recently got two new Vokeys and didn't really have a clue of my distances with them. So I went to the local top tracer range and set up on there and did half/three quarter/and full swing with each of my wedges to try and give me a chance of knowing what goes where.

I know toptracer isn't necessarily that accurate but I zapped the targets nearest to where the balls were landing and it was certainly enough in the ballpark for my ability.

Once I was satisfied with that I tried to get my irons going again as they haven't been great in recent weeks.

Finished with a couple of games on the "approach" challenge and halved my previous best so the practice seems to have paid off!

Last edited:

AliMc

Visit site
Enjoyed a free game at The Roxburghe today curtesy of a voucher for a 4 ball that my mate won for ntp last year, played pretty decent until I lost a ball on 18 for an nr (double bogey on gp score) to shoot approx 78, 6500 yeards off the yellows so it's a fair test with little roll on the fairways at this time of year, greens hollow tined so few putts holed, won 4bbb 5 &4, good day all round, lovely drive down through the borders countryside

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And got wet.....bloody rain.
Having looked at the forecasts and the rain radar we found a window of opportunity but it meant teeing off almost in the dark..! We only planned to play 9..
The light improved from the 2nd hole on and it was quite pleasant if a tad breezy..
Teed off on 7 and as we were walking up it was like someone turned on a power shower.....
It was so heavy that rivers of rain were running down the fairways...
We picked up and walked in...was only 1 over gross at the time too....
Better weather tomorrow...

Boomy

Visit site
Just had a thoroughly enjoyable knock around Powfoot ⛳️ Lovely bright day, mild breeze and lots of banter. Perfect day off even though I didn’t win the £1’s ? If you’ve not played Powfoot yet it’s we’ll worth a trip out, great food & hospitality as well.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Broke 80 for the first time on Saturday. Gross 79 playing off 12. Sank a 20ft birdie putt on the last hole to finish with 39 points. Only dawned on me as I was lining up my putt that it was for a 79 ? had three double bogeys as well which were frustrating, but can’t complain too much.