I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
A round at Flackwell Heath today in the heat. Was fairly quiet and in good condition. Coped pretty well with the heat, put the ball back in the bag that I started with which is always a bonus on a first time visit ?
For the record, I raked a couple of bunkers but we didn't bother taking flags out. Thin flag sticks so no issues.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Out tonight at 7.30pm for a few holes on Monifieth Medal - supposed to be only one guy in front of us but plainly others have decided not to use the booking system anymore and there were a couple of two balls ahead of him - played 1-5 then skipped across the course to play another couple of holes on way home - finished with the 18th on the Ashludie.

Driving was absolutely brutal, high and right which is not a good idea with a railway in that direction, until that last hole when I made sure my left arm stayed straighter and fired an excellent drive away, repeated it with my three wood to see how it went and piped that too - got football tomorrow night but need to get out to see if I've fixed the driver problem - rest of the game is pretty sound.

View attachment 37646
Fourth hole, Monifieth Medal

View attachment 37645
This train driver doesn't know how much danger he could have been facing had this been a driver hole.
Looks nice and brown

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seniors match today at Cold Ashby, I was a bit apprehensive as I'd not played the course before and some of the recent reviews I read were scathing.

All good though and apparently they've done some hard work recently to get it back to a reasonable standard.
The weather today was not conducive to playing there, however, as it's one of the hilliest courses I've played.

Won our match on the last hole but lost overall.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
An averagely uninspiring round today..
First time using the Rock up and play system as we've only used booking before..
Seemed to work OK but the car park was quiet so it may change on a busier day.
No hold ups, round in our normal time..
At the moment I'm struggling with the par 5s on the back 9.
Not going for it with the second after a reasonable drive but somewhere between the drive and the last putt there's a bad shot that puts me right in the kire and it becomes tricky to score...
Have to sort that out..

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Driving ok today then?

You know what Patrick, it was ok, nothing spectacular. I hit a ball with the driver on our longest hole which kicked massive right after a slice/ fade. The grass was waist high. I thought that’s gone and played a provisional. That was a similar drive. But I thought I will find it. I was gobsmacked I found, well a PP found my original. I came off with 6 for 2, next hole (15th) another fade/ slice. On the 16th I did something I cannot ever remember doing. I swallowed my pride and played a three wood and promptly smashed it, keeping it outta trouble. Another 5 for 2. I hit it that well I smashed me three wood on our 17th 180 par three. The last hole a par five, again a three wood came off with 6 for 2.
Now don’t ask me why I decided to play my three wood. But it was the right decision. But it’s not the long term solution.
What did make me smile, I played with two good lads, both 11 hcap and i mentioned to one I have a lesson booked for my driver. He said he had a lesson for his driver once and it was the worst thing he could of done ? cheered me up no end.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played Portmore near Barnstaple this afternoon as a stop over before Saunton tomorrow.

Very hot, saw the hills and took a buggy. Very wise. After a couple of very odd starting holes, there were some decent ones to be found. All bunkers on back 9 are undergoing renovation, or anyway, were out of play and all sand removed.

Actually, it was better than expected. Nice folk in clubhouse too.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played pretty poorly today. 2 doubles on the front 9.
Did manage to eagle the par 4 12th. Downwind and firm I hit a drive to 10 yards short and popped it in with a 60.
First time getting an eagle on that hole.

TigerTime

Visit site
I had a golfing eureka moment today. One of those ones where it just sort of clicked and all of a sudden it made all sorts of sense. Obviously been working on my swing at the range in particular with the driver and I have improved my strike a but the shapes are still all over the place with that mostly but I think I've found the solution or certainly a step in the right direction with that but this worked really good with my irons and I was absolutely loving it at times.

Was out playing in the Wednesday medal today and after my absolute disaster round on Saturday of being 11 over my handicap I was determined to just play well and to my handicap today at least today. Had a nett 3 under (3 pars) start then stepped up to the 4th tee feeling confident and out of nowhere hit a wild wild slice, and honestly this thing was MILES right and OOB. Was absolutely baffled by it, not hit a really bad one like that for a long long time. Played an iron off the tee for my 3rd and it trundled down the fairway but it didn't feel like a good strike. Had left myself a 7 iron into the green for my 4th shot. Thinking I had to get this on the green at least to give myself a chance of a bogey and at worst a double I took a bit of an age to hit the shot. Made a few practice swings and on the last one I felt my right hand (trail hand) sort of loosen itself on the grip almost like I was letting go (exaggeration but you get what I mean) probably because it was 26 degrees and I was sweating like but it felt really good, like I'd released the clubhead properly so thought I'd try it on the shot. Absolutely flushed the 8 iron and the ball flight was exactly what I've been wanting it to be for ages. A high draw that starts right and comes back to target. Then I remembered a drill I'd been told about last year about your lead hand 'catching raindrops' on the downswing and your forearm rotating and it just all of a sudden made so much sense.

So I used this loosening of the right hand and forearm turn for every iron shot after this and whilst I was pretty inconsistent with the execution, the ones I executed correctly were all absolutely flushed, more distance, accurate to target and a really eye pleasing high draw. I did try it with driver, and it worked once out of about 12 tee shots but more practice needed with it.

I didn't score great today in the end think I was 4 over my handicap but my iron play saved me from another disaster. Tee shots and putting were pretty rubbish and it cost me a fair few shots but honestly couldn't care less I feel like I've cracked what I've been working on almost all year and it feels great. Need to get the execution of these moves ingrained and practice it with the woods but I'm absolutely chuffed to bits.

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played this morning and was utter dross, Greig jinxed me and was on the beach twice on the front 9:ROFLMAO:

Glad to be of service ?.

I played some decent stuff tonight for a 2 over 72. Putting was better than it has been for a long time. That was even with 2 stupid doubles on the back nine, but offset slightly by birdies on 4, 9 and 11. All with >15' putts.

Very happy with that even if it was just a sunny evening bounce game.

D

Deleted member 21258

Played hawkstone, enjoyable for first hole, then roasting, 2.5 hours later finished , phew.

Shot 85, didn't hole anything outside 2 foot, lost a ball in the middle of a fairway couple of birdies, missed a birdie putt of 1.5 foot as a horse fly decided it was dinnertime!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played Nairn Dunbar this morning, for some reason we played handicap skins!!, as a 4 ball we would just normally play 4BBB. My 3 mates were all low handicaps before WHS came in, one was off 4 is now 7, one off 5 now 9 and one 9 now off 14!!! So you got you normal shots rather than off the low man... I think I was had:ROFLMAO:, had 5 birdies and only one actually won a hole:unsure: came last with one skin:cry: course was in great condition though the greens were a bit slower than the other side of town. Lots of gorse and trees removed, rough was pretty good though it looked thick off the tee.
Hit it well,despite the result, happy with how I hit it compared to yesterday.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Sorry to laugh but your two posts on this page are golf in a nutshell. :D

I was getting ready to reply with “I love when these golfing epiphanies happen, they tend not to last so enjoy it while the magic dust lingers”. Then saw second post. Lolled. The end.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Was rammel. A PP said “ Ave never seen anyone has so much bad luck in a round” it didn’t seem that way. Some golf was decent, and yeah I didn’t get a few breaks but overall. Rammel. What I will say, my hitting the green from 90 yards in for the last couple of weeks has been very very good. My 52 degree is like a “ wand”.