I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Got out for the first time since the birth of my child and the lack of sleep and play showed. For some reason I decided to swap my driver shaft before the round.

Big mistake. Never had so many 3 off the tees. Was disastrous.

Stupid game.

RoninPanda

Visit site
Played at Willow Valley on the Championship course, wasn't expecting that it would be where I'd break 100 for the first time, and I was very correct!

Some holes there are pure evil. I love it!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Smashed it for 39 points. Twenty on the front 19 on the back. That’s playing off 95% which cost me another point ( why play off 95% when it’s a fuddle?)
Anyway before we went out I had a play on the range with me driver and forgot about the last two lessons where I was supposed to build on me first lesson. Keep me left arm stiffer, it stops me getting “ armsy” with better dispersion. Worked a treat.
22 points won the first nine with a guy playing off yellows, 20 won back nine with me smashing it overall.
Highlight of the round, hitting an 8 iron to within 11” of the pin.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a chipping/pitching lesson before playing.
It's made a huge difference, only dunched one chip, but why did I suddenly start hitting my drives left?
It never seems to be all working at the same time!
Anyway, my brother and I, despite starting very poorly, ran out 4&3 winners.
A good day.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Took the day off today for a round with my dad, uncle and auntie. I only managed 33 points this time. Front nine was spot on with 18, but three double bogeys on the back nine cost me. For once putting was not the problem as I putted well, But just not enough pars in the end, a few of them just slipped into becoming bogeys. My uncle reckoned my auntie and my dad could play off 36 for the purposes of a two v two Stableford match, while he has an official handicap of 21. This rendered the match quite moot though, my dad managed 15 points, uncle managed 17, and my auntie just 3. Yes, 3 points. She has been playing for years and years and she is still terrible, a good shot for her still only goes about 100 yards. Lovely to play with the family and she clearly enjoys but man, it is hard to watch at times. :LOL: Her real handicap must be pretty much the maximum one I would say. So a 48-20 landslide win for me and the old man.

Unfortunately there was a bit of unsavouriness at the end. Obviously with those three playing quite badly it was a slow round, but we let through two groups that caught us on the way round, no problems. Another group was almost catching us by the end but we never felt they were right up our backsides, never had an appropriate moment where we thought we'd better wave them through so we thought it best to just cracked on and finish the round. Or so we thought. Apparently someone had lodged a complaint about slow play on the course to the pro shop. Some guy who said he was a former chairman or something came and spoke to us while we were having a drink, and he was perfectly charming to be fair to him, I don't really have a problem with him speaking to us. But why lodge a complaint, what good is that going to do? There are several holes near the end that run parallel, it would have been very easy for a group to simply ask if we wouldn't mind letting them through, which we would have done. What we didn't appreciate was on the 16th green when my uncle putted out, picked up his ball and then another ball whistled just past the green. That's not on. What's wrong with talking to people?

To end on a positive, I nearly lost my pitching wedge on the 17th without even realising. Someone else came up to us after the round and asked did anyone lose a PW? Don't think so, what is it? Callaway Steelhead. Oh hang on. *checks* oh Christ yep, that's mine. :LOL: I thanked him a lot. I guess it wasn't the same bloke who lodged the complaint since he didn't mention it at all. :rolleyes:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hey @Orikoru sounds like a lovely day out, love the whole family affair. I agree the complaint was probably out of order, it’s the middle of the week and you’ve taken a day off to play at not peak time. You’ve let groups through so you’ve done a lot right. I think the mistake was, if the group were close enough to fire at ye (completely 100% not on), they were too close. When my buddy and I play and invite the misses (neither of whom play more than a few times a year), we play alternate shot (except we always drive). That keeps it fun and moving along. Even at that we aren’t two ball pace and if a group behind is approaching we’ll wait on the next tee to let them through. Yes it’s a long day but it avoids unpleasantness.

However, I’d speak to the person to whom the complaint was made and say that you let every group through except those who were firing balls at ye on 16.

That would soften his cough ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey @Orikoru sounds like a lovely day out, love the whole family affair. I agree the complaint was probably out of order, it’s the middle of the week and you’ve taken a day off to play at not peak time. You’ve let groups through so you’ve done a lot right. I think the mistake was, if the group were close enough to fire at ye (completely 100% not on), they were too close. When my buddy and I play and invite the misses (neither of whom play more than a few times a year), we play alternate shot (except we always drive). That keeps it fun and moving along. Even at that we aren’t two ball pace and if a group behind is approaching we’ll wait on the next tee to let them through. Yes it’s a long day but it avoids unpleasantness.

However, I’d speak to the person to whom the complaint was made and say that you let every group through except those who were firing balls at ye on 16.

That would soften his cough ?
Yeah when the 'ex-chairman' or whatever he said he was spoke to us, we did explain that we'd let two other groups through on our round and all it would have taken was a polite word, and we did mention the ball flying at us also. His demeaner was fine and I didn't mind him speaking to us (although my dad felt differently about that). It just annoyed me that someone would rather remain disgruntled for the last few holes of their round and then complain about it rather than rectify it there and then by just talking to us! The mind boggles. Normally in situations like this I let the group through if they're already putting out the previous green while we're still teeing off, or if we have an extended time looking for a lost ball, but I never felt they were that close to us, we had usually all teed off and they still hadn't reached the green so we thought we were ok. And as I say, since they never spoke to us, we didn't realise that they felt they were being held up.

The Dog.

Visit site
Played abysmally for a gross 79 yesterday evening. I am convinced it was because I’d eaten nothing except breakfast and had no energy as a result. That’s my excuse anyway! ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played abysmally for a gross 79 yesterday evening. I am convinced it was because I’d eaten nothing except breakfast and had no energy as a result. That’s my excuse anyway! ?
Wow. I wish I could play that abysmally. Maybe I'll try not eating anything next time. o_O

Boomy

Visit site
Not played yet....? but just booked a tee at the UK No.1 on my bucket list course Royal Lytham & St Anne’s ⛳

Very excited about this, here’s hoping for good weather ?? and I’ve heard it’s rather tough so I’ll either be giddy after the round or the clubs will be on eBay ? 10 days to go ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Not played yet....? but just booked a tee at the UK No.1 on my bucket list course Royal Lytham & St Anne’s ⛳

Very excited about this, here’s hoping for good weather ?? and I’ve heard it’s rather tough so I’ll either be giddy after the round or the clubs will be on eBay ? 10 days to go ?

Very nice. Awesome course.

Similarly, I've just booked Woodall Spa to play in a couple of weeks time.

Boomy

Visit site
Very nice. Awesome course.

Similarly, I've just booked Woodall Spa to play in a couple of weeks time.

Very nice indeed, that’ll be a great day out. I’ve not played Woodall Spa, have you played Lytham? I watched The Open down there in 2012, can’t wait to play it.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Very nice indeed, that’ll be a great day out. I’ve not played Woodall Spa, have you played Lytham? I watched The Open down there in 2012, can’t wait to play it.

I played Lytham, but it was probably 20 or so years ago.

This will be my first visit to Woodall Spa. I'm really looking forward to it. I now need to hit the range hard to get used to my swing changes. To give myself some chance of playing well.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
played Cavendish in an open this morning. Absolutely love the place. Played poorly with an 85 but can’t expect the world after a lesson and grip change! But did play some worldys and made a few pars including 18 which is a bonus on a full terrace.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This week's clubs include some of my favourites and they did me proud in a KO match this evening with a 3 & 2 win:

Slazenger "Gary Player" irons, 2 to SW, from 1962.

1623446028771.png

The trusty Spalding "W Model" putter from the 1930s.

1623446093563.png

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played 11 holes after tea yesterday 7 parr’s that’s rare for me, 3 bogies and one I picked up out of a bunker after first shot didn’t get out.

Just need to do it in a competition now ?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
We have a Par Bogey competition today, can anyone tell me what format this is?

It's match play against the course/your handicap.

Example for a 10 handicap:

Stroke index 15, the player doesn't get a shot, if they par the hole then they've played to handicap so the hole is halved, if they get a birdie or better then they've played below handicap so win the hole, if they get a bogey or worse then they've played over handicap so lose the hole.
Stroke index 7, the player has a shot, if they par the hole (nett birdie) they've played below handicap so win the hole, if they bogey the hole (nett par) they've played to handicap and halved the hole, if they double bogey (net bogey) they've played over handicap so lose the hole.

All 18 holes are played though so if you get to a point of being +3 with 2 to play, rather than the match being over you carry on, trying to win more holes, the higher your score (more into the pluses) the better.
At the end of the round the player will have a total as in match play derived from holes won (+) subtract holes lost (-) so if they win 5 holes and lose 3 then they finish +2, but if they win 3 holes but lose 6 they finish -3.