I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played as defending champion in today’s medal. Came in with a creditable 77 gross which is currently lying 3rd. Stroked the ball around nicely although finished with a double. None of my FC’s broke 100 so happy with my concentration levels.

First comp with a score dropping out so bettered that and should see a cheeky little reduction ?.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played in an individual open at Worksop today. I didn't play that well (24 points) , but what a lovely course and one that I will look forward to returning to.

I went on my own, having entered online where there was a space, and ended up playing with a former England fast bowler and his friend, together with a Yorkshireman who had just moved back to the area and had a cracking back nine. All were nice guys, weather was great and really enjoyed my day out.

Just before I teed off on the first, bumped into Gary (Region3) by the putting green who was playing in the group behind. Good to see him looking well.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Entered the comp today, "Jubilee Stableford" or something. Played crap really. It was like spinning plates, the driving off started a bit wayward, sort that out and the putting going off a cliff, get that back and the chipping goes to pot. I was only getting 3 or 1 points through the front nine, sadly more 1s than 3s though. Fully lost it on the 9th-10th-11th-12th stretch though, with only 3 points over those four holes. And then predictably enough when the score was dead and buried, I get it together and manage 13 points from the last six holes. Final total 30, amazed I got that many when it felt like everything was off at one time or another. In fairness none of our three-ball played well (I was the best of the three) so it felt like a hard slog.

Pint in the sun afterwards was lovely though.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've been away for a week which coincides with my Club golf week

Back for the last event today a 4 man Texas Scramble which we came 3rd in. It was interesting that the change of handicaps under the new system have resulted in that the low single handicap teams have not won as they almost always do, and the teams handicaps are spread right through the results

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
After four rounds without a double bogey, I started double, birdie, double. The birdie was a 2, so it was 6,2,6 start. The comedy continued to a 28 points total. Had a OOB and three 3-putts.
As well as the two, the other highlight was two shots to within two feet of the front edge of the green on par 5 17th hole. Haven't done that for a long time. Two putts from off the green for a simple birdie and 4 points.
Still - no increase to handicap and the same will apply to next two comp scores.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
45 points in a 4bb comp at letterkenny.

Only played it once before. Its usually a fair wet soft course but played so differnt today.
We worked well on the front 9 and I had to come in on 8 holes on the back as my partner lost his way.
Lost count how many times I got up and down. It was either 10 or 11 times haha. Was in my element with fast greens.

TigerTime

Visit site
It's match play against the course/your handicap.

Example for a 10 handicap:

Stroke index 15, the player doesn't get a shot, if they par the hole then they've played to handicap so the hole is halved, if they get a birdie or better then they've played below handicap so win the hole, if they get a bogey or worse then they've played over handicap so lose the hole.
Stroke index 7, the player has a shot, if they par the hole (nett birdie) they've played below handicap so win the hole, if they bogey the hole (nett par) they've played to handicap and halved the hole, if they double bogey (net bogey) they've played over handicap so lose the hole.

All 18 holes are played though so if you get to a point of being +3 with 2 to play, rather than the match being over you carry on, trying to win more holes, the higher your score (more into the pluses) the better.
At the end of the round the player will have a total as in match play derived from holes won (+) subtract holes lost (-) so if they win 5 holes and lose 3 then they finish +2, but if they win 3 holes but lose 6 they finish -3.

Thanks!

I am currently in 1st place with 6! And my lowest submitted card of the year so far.

Absolutely over the moon.

The Dog.

Visit site
Fabulous front 9 to be level par in difficult conditions on the hardest half of the course given the wind direction.

Hoping to clean up on the back 9 but had a combination of rotten luck and dreadful decision making. Ended up at 78 but a very poor finish from 15 to 18.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Few holes this evening as the sun went down, teed off at 8:40 and got 8 holes in before coming off.

Didn’t play great, but felt like I was rushing for some reason to get as many holes in as I could.

Teeing off at 7:30 in the medal tomorrow.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
First time I've shot in the 80s this season. 83, and it really was the best I could score. That included 6 up and downs. For some reason I was getting really steep and hitting it fat. H.i. has gone from 4.3 to 4.5

It's also the first round where I've warmed up "properly". Went to the range on the way to the course for 50 balls, then did some chipping, pitching, then some putting. Next time it's a few slaps in the net and a bit of putting !!!!!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
45 points in a 4bb comp at letterkenny.

Only played it once before. Its usually a fair wet soft course but played so differnt today.
We worked well on the front 9 and I had to come in on 8 holes on the back as my partner lost his way.
Lost count how many times I got up and down. It was either 10 or 11 times haha. Was in my element with fast greens.

Enough to win the visitor prize. 49 points won it. Tough school.

D

Deleted member 3432

Took my 7 year old to the driving range while the football was on. Had the place to ourselves, not having to dodge ball bouncing off stanchions and the roof was a nice change.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
First game after a short enforced break due to back pain. Hopefully the WHS gang will forgive me, I dibbed out of the comp as I fancied a pressure free adjustment to how I was feeling and how the course has changed with the recent weather.
Naturally started with 3 up n down pars without a card. Hit it pretty well, 2 first nine blobs in part from driving 'too well', and the extra run. Obviously made a 2 on 13 as wasn't in the sweep. Few loose ones near the end, boy was it hot.
Overall happy to be back.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played an Open at Handsworth Golf Club today, a course I've wanted to play for several years as it's one of the few Midlands courses that make it into Bernard Darwin's classic book, "The Golf Courses of the British Isles", first published in 1910.
The picture below shows the opening hole. It doesn't look too dissimilar now, although the tee has moved back slightly and to the right so that there's a token carry over the corner of the pool.

Darwin describes the opening shot thus; "At the first there is a big pool on the right and a generous supply of bunkers on the left, so that the very first tee-shot has to be hit unpleasantly straight".
I've made a fool of myself on enough forum meets and the like that I don't worry about people watching, and my name and home club being announced over the speaker wasn't an issue.

Yet I still managed to hit the ground with my 3 wood about 6 inches behind the ball and send it towards the pool, I'd like to think it reached the pool but I fear it suffered the ignominy of only making it as far as the reeds.
Perhaps a case of too long and too much anticipation!

1623599612706.png

I scored a dismal 51 on the front nine and 39 on the back nine, but that doesn't include a hole NR'd as I lost a ball on the 11th.

In my group were two former members of Ullesthorpe GC, one of them a forumite, though he rarely posts now, @OnTour.

Handsworth lived up to the expectation and I really enjoyed the round, greens were running fast and true but had a lot of subtle breaks that I didn't see......
The Open price of £25 was a bargain and I recommend the course to anyone visiting the area.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Just happened to have my 1971 Webster Evans Encyclopaedia of Golf to hand when reading the above. Bernard Darwin gets a big entry. Grandson of Charles Darwin, Captain of the R&A, a very long and successful amateur career and a prolific writer on golf. Employed by The Times newspaper and Country Life for many years. A contemporary of Joyce Wethered (see beautiful swings) with whom he won a foursomes event.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Didn't actually play. But had a good session at the range trying to groove the grip and downswing changes.

Didn't start great and was tempted to abandoned them. I chose to stick with it, and eventually stated to hit consistently good shots.

Driver and 5 wood were still going a bit right, although now just slightly and straight rather than a bit block or a hook.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That was roasting out there this afternoon....
Respectable front 9, 17 points, no real dramas
Start the back 9 with 3 pars and then it started getting even hotter...and more humid - neither of which make me feel good.
Lost my footing on my approach to 14 but still managed 2 points from it.
Bogeyed 15 with a 3 putt, blobbed the par 3 16th after being just off the green and 20 feet away in 1, bogeyed 17 and blocked 18 with a lost ball approach.
31 in total but those 2 blobs hurt....
A different bandit had 2 x 4 pointers in a 23 point back 9...but he'll be slashed in the morning.....serves him right.

D-S

Visit site
A guy won a cup yesterday at my Club playing off 30, had a nett 63 (par 70 CR 71.6). He had gross scores of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8 (3 of them) on his card - the 1 was in a 130 yard par 3, the two was on a 340 yard par 4.
Pretty exceptional round all things considered.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
That was roasting out there this afternoon....
Respectable front 9, 17 points, no real dramas
Start the back 9 with 3 pars and then it started getting even hotter...and more humid - neither of which make me feel good.
Lost my footing on my approach to 14 but still managed 2 points from it.
Bogeyed 15 with a 3 putt, blobbed the par 3 16th after being just off the green and 20 feet away in 1, bogeyed 17 and blocked 18 with a lost ball approach.
31 in total but those 2 blobs hurt....
A different bandit had 2 x 4 pointers in a 23 point back 9...but he'll be slashed in the morning.....serves him right.

But this bandit did him by 2 points,:ROFLMAO: jeez it was hot out there