I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Was going well last night until I cleaned a 7 iron over 175 yards over the back of the 7th and OOB. How can I account for it going a full 15 yards further than expected in the air...

Wind must have been with but I cant pull an 8 iron from that range.... ahh golf :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 3432

Cold, showery and generally crap weather to go alongside me ploughing it round Silloth this morning.
Probably would have helped to warm up rather than just walk onto the 1st tee.
Better than work so will look to bounce back with some practice time tomorrow.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Played at Broadstone with Gordon today, an excellent host as always. Everything bar the driver and hybrid was behaving really nicely and knocked it round for 38 points.

Having never played the course before I was very happy with that, especially as it included 2 of the dreaded blobs. Gross score was 82 for the 17 holes I finished, with the other blob being an 8.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Senior's open at Northamptonshire County today, I scored 29 and thought I'd scored poorly but another 2 points would have got me into countback for 6th place in div.
Damn that blob on the second when I took an iron for safety and hooked it into the rough for a lost ball.
A nice 4 wood passed very close to the hole on the 6th for what would have been my first hole in one, made the two.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played Royal Lytham on Tuesday in a county ladies event, after a decent start I really struggled, I even took a penalty drop out of a bunker as the only way I could have possible got out was into deep rough, the ball was right against the revetted face and even 6 inches didn't give me any sort of decent stance, although I didnt have any disaster holes there were far to many 6s and 7s on my card. A worrying aspect of my game over recent rounds is an occasional tendency to squirt the ball to the right when hitting a straight forward iron shots I wouldnt say it is a s***k but the result is similar. I dont do it every time but when it happens it is very worrying and will turn a porspective par into a double bogey or worse

The Dog.

Visit site
Played Hoylake yesterday. Nice layout. Not absolutely top drawer as it’s just too flat but some super holes. Clubhouse delightful too.

Shot 7 over with a triple bogey on the card so pretty good but not brilliant.

The tees we played off were too short really and also, the greens were really slow which was a shame as it meant a lot of the links shots couldn’t be played as intended and the run-off areas were negated too. I don’t think I would rush back to play again but am glad I’ve played there.

Birkdale today.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Cracking picture that, looks a lot more established these days :) Handsworth 100% one to play, good setup and friendly staff.

great to meet you and see the old clubs in action.

Played an Open at Handsworth Golf Club today, a course I've wanted to play for several years as it's one of the few Midlands courses that make it into Bernard Darwin's classic book, "The Golf Courses of the British Isles", first published in 1910.
The picture below shows the opening hole. It doesn't look too dissimilar now, although the tee has moved back slightly and to the right so that there's a token carry over the corner of the pool.

Darwin describes the opening shot thus; "At the first there is a big pool on the right and a generous supply of bunkers on the left, so that the very first tee-shot has to be hit unpleasantly straight".
I've made a fool of myself on enough forum meets and the like that I don't worry about people watching, and my name and home club being announced over the speaker wasn't an issue.

Yet I still managed to hit the ground with my 3 wood about 6 inches behind the ball and send it towards the pool, I'd like to think it reached the pool but I fear it suffered the ignominy of only making it as far as the reeds.
Perhaps a case of too long and too much anticipation!

View attachment 37044

I scored a dismal 51 on the front nine and 39 on the back nine, but that doesn't include a hole NR'd as I lost a ball on the 11th.

In my group were two former members of Ullesthorpe GC, one of them a forumite, though he rarely posts now, @OnTour.

Handsworth lived up to the expectation and I really enjoyed the round, greens were running fast and true but had a lot of subtle breaks that I didn't see......
The Open price of £25 was a bargain and I recommend the course to anyone visiting the area.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Shouldn’t have bothered today

Due to pay 36 but could’ve walked off after 9. Stayed for 18 and some lunch.

Struggling with my depression again and if it was a course I hadn’t played before I wouldn’t have gone at all

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Board comp today, "Veteran's Cup" for the over 60s and it is a medal from the back tees.
Lying in 4th place and I think that is all the scores in.
I had 13 pars, 5 bogeys and 34 putts with no 3-putts. Played really well, but I would have liked to have holed a few more putts. Played with the winner.
I believe two decimal places off the HI for beating the 8th best score by two shots. Could be down to 3.2 for the weekend.
Here's the top nett scores.

Vets.jpg

Last edited:

RoninPanda

Visit site
Played Woodhall Hills for the first time as it's one of those I'm considering membership at.

Really enjoyed the course and was looking like I might break 100 for the first time, had a nightmare at 14 to 16 with an 8, 9, 9, then realised in all the excitement of playing ok (for me) I'd forgotten to keep an eye on my blood sugars. Had a mars bar and finished par, bogey.

The staff and members I met were really friendly and with 25% off 7-day membership currently it might be the one I go for.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played a seniors match at Whittlebury Park near Towcester today, a course I'd not heard of before, which is surprising as it's a really big complex with a lot more than golf going on and it's less than an hour away from me.
There are 3 loops of nine and a short course. Some of the widest fairways/first cut I've seen and I still managed to lose two balls in the first two holes. :whistle:

We had a really good match, all square on the 18th tee and halved the last, but the team lost 6.5 to 0.5.

The only downer was the continuous noise from nearby Silverstone, people who complain about courses near motorways should try playing Whittlebury Park!

The Dog.

Visit site
Played Birkdale today in glorious weather. Course absolutely immaculate and one of the finest links in these Isles. Only rivalled by Royal St George’s and Royal County Down. Eclipses many of the great Scottish links, certainly better than Muirfield which I played relatively recently.

A fabulous day. Genuinely incredible. And most kind of the club to let our four ball play off the white tees as everyone was off 3 or below. Played well, won the match 3&2 and shot 4 over with a double on the first par 3. Played better than I scored. Missed a lot of makeable birdie putts early on, mostly due to being a little scared by the rapid pace of the greens.

A wonderful club, superlative links and a lovely day in great company. Everything that is great about golf wrapped up in one day.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played Birkdale today in glorious weather. Course absolutely immaculate and one of the finest links in these Isles. Only rivalled by Royal St George’s and Royal County Down. Eclipses many of the great Scottish links, certainly better than Muirfield which I played relatively recently.

A fabulous day. Genuinely incredible. And most kind of the club to let our four ball play off the white tees as everyone was off 3 or below. Played well, won the match 3&2 and shot 4 over with a double on the first par 3. Played better than I scored. Missed a lot of makeable birdie putts early on, mostly due to being a little scared by the rapid pace of the greens.

A wonderful club, superlative links and a lovely day in great company. Everything that is great about golf wrapped up in one day.

Yep. It is special and when you play well on a good day. Well. Golf doesn’t get much better than that.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played a seniors match at Whittlebury Park near Towcester today, a course I'd not heard of before, which is surprising as it's a really big complex with a lot more than golf going on and it's less than an hour away from me.
There are 3 loops of nine and a short course. Some of the widest fairways/first cut I've seen and I still managed to lose two balls in the first two holes. :whistle:

We had a really good match, all square on the 18th tee and halved the last, but the team lost 6.5 to 0.5.

The only downer was the continuous noise from nearby Silverstone, people who complain about courses near motorways should try playing Whittlebury Park!
Played it not long after it opened
In place of the "mansion" was a portakabin that housed office, shop and a very small changing room..
Fortunately there was nothing going on at the track when we played but you could see many of the buildings.

NearHull

Visit site
Yesterday. Played with friends. On the 7th tee , told them that this used to my favourite hole but now it’s my bogey hole as I seem to cut it too far right. Hit a nice drive down left hand side of fairway and then hit a 115yd slam dunk, full toss for eagle. It’s back to being my favourite hole.

Double bogey’d next hole, Si17 short par three. Doh!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry to admit I lost it a little today, first hole lipped out, 2nd hole, pin high in a bunker but up against the rim and not shot even with 6 inches, 3rd hole, topped into stream from ideal position, 4th hole lovely shot to green takes wicked bounce and ends up 20 yds from the green, I wasn't in the best shape mentally after that start and I struggled to cope with the ridiculous amounts of run culminated with 5 putting the 7th after being on the green in two. 8 points on the front nine, scored better with 16 on the back nine but apart from my driving the rest of my game was poor, I duffed every wood of the grass and was glad to get off the course. Lots of our players are scoring really well woth all the run we are getting but i hate it, I never know whether to play the distance or try to land short and hope for a good bounce anyway going to get another 0.2 back after today. I have managed to go up nearly 2 shots in the last 6 weeks and still more of my better scores to come off.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played superbly last night. 44 points, was absolutely buzzing when I came off, still am now :)

Funnily enough my driving was average compared to how it's been recently, but was flushing my irons, and short game was very good.

Was seriously considering chucking the game about 6 weeks ago, I was so bad. Had a lesson, totally changed my swing and pre shot routine, have been playing out my skin ever since!