I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

D

Deleted Member 1156

Got back late last night from a couple of days north of the Watford Gap. Played the Woodhall Spa invitation day with @Captainron and @Lincoln Quaker then a pairs open at Stanton on the Wold. Great couple of days, thanks guys ?
Very frustrating playing on fabulous greens at Stanton and barely holing anything ?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Captain's Day today, Stableford with a Bowmaker going on at the same time.

One of the worst days on a golf course I can remember.
I was hopeless.
  • Practically zero contribution to the team score.
  • Opening tee shot OB onto the range.
  • I lost SIX balls!
  • 2 fairways hit.
  • Numerous shanks.
  • Missing short putts.
  • And only hitting the the last green saved me from zero GIR.
Sorry to hear that Nick, but that last green is very hard to hit and that shows you’ve got it in there.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Captain's Day today, Stableford with a Bowmaker going on at the same time.

One of the worst days on a golf course I can remember.
I was hopeless.
  • Practically zero contribution to the team score.
  • Opening tee shot OB onto the range.
  • I lost SIX balls!
  • 2 fairways hit.
  • Numerous shanks.
  • Missing short putts.
  • And only hitting the the last green saved me from zero GIR.
Ever considered some modern clubs to make the game a bit easier Nick? ?

You put yourself through purgatory every week ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My green Titleist AVX lasted another round.
It’s on its 5th round now. I’ll be sad to see it go.

My mate is always going on about how long his Provs last

"You do not hit the ball hard enough to wear them out" I always quip.

Very rarely do I find a ball with no signs of use on it after 2 rounds. I find yellow balls tend to hide just how worn they really are. In winter I reckon if mud is sticking to the ball after every shot it is a sure sign that the ball is quite scuffed and it can only really be seen my comparing against a brand new ball.

The Dog.

Visit site
Fantastic game yesterday. Played with three friends. Handicaps and teams were +1 and 0 versus 3 and 3. We played off level though and the two 3 handicappers won 5&4! Played off our black championship tees and the standard was high, weather glorious and company wonderful. A great afternoon of golf, encapsulating everything that is brilliant about the game.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mate is always going on about how long his Provs last

"You do not hit the ball hard enough to wear them out" I always quip.

Very rarely do I find a ball with no signs of use on it after 2 rounds. I find yellow balls tend to hide just how worn they really are. In winter I reckon if mud is sticking to the ball after every shot it is a sure sign that the ball is quite scuffed and it can only really be seen my comparing against a brand new ball.
I find the cover on AVX very hard ,hence not a lot of spin on irons.
But fantastic off the tee

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find the cover on AVX very hard ,hence not a lot of spin on irons.
But fantastic off the tee

I have never even tried the AVX. Just reading the specs I know it is not the type of ball I would be looking for. One of my mates switched briefly, he saw the gain in driver distance (not that he needed any more distance from his drives) I also saw the loss of control he had around the greens (something he could do with a lot more of). He is a bit distance obsessed.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My green Titleist AVX lasted another round.
It’s on its 5th round now. I’ll be sad to see it go.
Played this morning - 5th round with a Srixon soft feel. Last one lasted 5 rounds as well. Both in the retirement bucket now.
Board comp - President's Day. Four over front nine followed by two under back nine. Best nine-hole score done in a long time. Front nine, I hit no greens in regulation but made five pars! Truly, a game of two halves.
Kept a five off my card back nine with a birdie on the only par-5, the 17th. Currently standing in second place with 39 points after 40 cards in. There will be over 100 by the end of the day.
If there is no PCC, I think I will be down to 3.5 handicap index and my spell with a playing handicap of 5 is over.
Next four scores to disappear from my 20 are not in the best 8, so further reductions are possible. Next game Tuesday.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Three 5s and a 6 on the front nine, though. That was my 4-over. Three par 3s and one par 4 and a par 5 helped a bit. All a bit scrappy. Different player on back nine.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Three 5s and a 6 on the front nine, though. That was my 4-over. Three par 3s and one par 4 and a par 5 helped a bit. All a bit scrappy. Different player on back nine.
That was me yesterday, possibly my worst schizo round of golf, front nine - 36 against par 35; back nine - 48 against par 37. Disappointed in myself just losing it after my s***k and resulting double on the 10th...

Ah well...that’s golf and it’s only golf...?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
A nice morning for golf today down in the new forest in the Sunday medal. Cloudy, no wind and a comfortable temperature.

Started very well, then had a bit of a wobble to turn in 45 (+10). Came back much better in 39 (+5) for a gross 84, nett 69 which will give me a little cut.

A little bit disappointed that I was 3 off the tee twice which both resulted in doubles, I also threw in an extra double just for fun. So all in all not too bad a result.

The Dog.

Visit site
Just bogeyed the last for a -4 gross 67 in a bounce game - some gimmes though. Won the match but the main thing was terrific company and the weather stayed fine-ish! Wish I could play the last again though. Easy birdie chance and I bottled it a bit.

Last edited: