I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Really enjoyable game this morning, conditions were perfect, 18-19 degrees, blue skies and hardly a breath of wind.

Driving was excellent, irons better than they have been for yonks, however putting and chipping were poor (understatement).

31 points, not helped by some old codger coming down the 6th and stealing my ball on the 7th which runs parallel.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Glorious late afternoon so played 13 holes teeing off at 5:30. Not a soul anywhere near me on the course...in fact I didn’t see anyone at all until I spotted a group playing 14 as I finished off on 13. Lovely.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went out at four o'clock today off the yellows. Just took 10 clubs and carried. Got there five minutes before tee-off time, no warm-up, 7 wood on the par 3 first to about 5 foot and holed it for birdie. Decent start. Front nine continued to go well, after 8 holes I had 18 points, even had an eagle putt on the 8th after reaching the par 5 in two with a driver & 7 wood which I hadn't ever done before - unfortunately it was from about 30 feet and I only made par. Sadly doubled the 9th for 41 / 19 points out, but usually the back nine is a little easier to score on for the most part.

Now, I remember back at school some of my mates had this stupid concept game called "The Game" - basically the idea is whenever you're not thinking about The Game, then you're winning the game - the longer the better - but as soon as someone makes you think about The Game, then you've lost The Game. (Just so you know I'm not making it up.) Anyway - it has occurred to me that golf works EXACTLY the same way for me. I could be happily winning at golf, until I start thinking about golf - then it's game over.

After hitting two really long drives earlier in the round at the 5th and 11th (definitely longer than I ever normally hit), I come to the 13th (normally the easiest hole for me) thinking I'm Billy Big Balls, going to rip another one, I've cracked it and my driving is superb after all. Got it hopelessly wrong and struck a truck that's about 50 feet in front of the tee to the right. Double bogey. Then the 15th, the absolute bane of my existence, a 210 yard uphill par 3. Drive misses green on the right which I always try to avoid and always fail to avoid. Duffed the chip. Second chip hits the green but rolls off the back left (which is why I duffed the first attempt in the first place). Had a couple of stabs with the putter and then picked it up for a blob. On the 17th I was about three feet off the edge of the green for two - made a double bogey six, as you do. Parred the last but all it did was get me exactly the same score as Sunday - 85 gross for 35 points. All the tools for a good round were there - unfortunately the biggest tool was me I guess. :LOL:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I came out of the traps like a whippet. Regulation pars on the 1st & 2nd. And then it all went to pot............................
10 points on the front 9, and 6 of those were on the 1st 2 holes
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played at 4pm yesterday, was very sunny and warm. What a difference that makes, don't play Newport in shorts too often! Course looking really nice and played pretty well too. Sat on the patio after, cold pint and a curry.. womderful

Is "half-and-half" a purely Welsh thing? :) Never seen it anywhere else, it is almost compulsory here!

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seniors knockout this evening and both playing off a course handicap of 20 meant no shots were received or given. Best I have played all year and won 5&3. Thinking back through the round I got 9 pars and had 8 putts of within 30ft for birdie (none holed), which shows a fair amount of consistency. Still had a few poor holes though and need to reduce or eliminate those to be competative in a stableford or medal.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Played at 4pm yesterday, was very sunny and warm. What a difference that makes, don't play Newport in shorts too often! Course looking really nice and played pretty well too. Sat on the patio after, cold pint and a curry.. womderful

Is "half-and-half" a purely Welsh thing? :) Never seen it anywhere else, it is almost compulsory here!
Rice and chips?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Up early this morning, teeing off at 7:30 for a quick round.

Didn’t feel like I had my best striking day, missed a lot of greens but got up and down reasonably well. Had one dodgy hole which gave me a triple but other than that no real trouble got me round in 79 strokes, so extremely happy with that overall.

Weather was lovely and the course was quiet, so all in all a very pleasant morning. Now off home to have a family afternoon out with the wife and little Sophia.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played Cadrona GC on Monday and really quite chuffed with myself scoring 17 points for the first 8 holes :love:.
Then ouch ! I hurt my back teeing of at the 9th 140 yard par 3, my first blob.
My game then disintegrated, scoring only 7 points on the back 9 :cry:.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Overcast but warm and dry today, bit of breeze to keep it interesting
2 blobs in my 34 points today and 2 shot holes in the middle of the back 9 that managed 1 point between them.
Frustrating to say the least as there were also 3 putts that hung on the edge and a long one brushed the cup and finished 2 inches away.
Still, probably the best I've played at home for a while.
Loo,ing at the numbers I may even get a small cut..

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Out last night. The heat was fierce yesterday. Found nice and firm so hit some nice long balls off the tee. Greens were the fastest they had been all year.

2 bad holes and two birds for 6 over. Dropped shots on 17 and 18 pushing for a good score so wont worry about that.

Lovely evening out and puts to bed the bad round last weekend.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
South Shields today. God, I love South Shields. The sun broke out, there was next to no wind which is practically unheard of but the greens, while looking good, were unusually slow which led to a few problems.

Went out in 49, 13 over par, and visited a bunker of some sort on all but two holes. Back in 38, 3 over par, birdying the tricky 18th. Stupid game.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funny old day.
Me and my mate won 1 up vs my brother and another mate.
We were losing most of the game until the 14th when I suddenly turned into Brad Faxon!
Couldn't miss a putt.
Birdied 14 and 15 and a half up 18 saw us home.
Funny old game.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk