I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tough conditions today in the wind rain today. Started poorly but rallied on the back nine to post a 79, net 68 currently leader in the club house by 2. Just going outside to do a rain dance.

Signing out of the CONGU system at handicap 10 for sure depending on CSS might even get it to 9.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Tough conditions today in the wind rain today. Started poorly but rallied on the back nine to post a 79, net 68 currently leader in the club house by 2. Just going outside to do a rain dance.

Signing out of the CONGU system at handicap 10 for sure depending on CSS might even get it to 9.

Good luck off 5 on 3rd November!!

Or 16 ??

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Got over to Nairn and it was lashing it down, not a soul in the car park apart from me and my 3 PP, we went in for a coffee. out tee time was 9.07 so told the starter to cancel. as we sat there could see it clearing in the distance, started to look better and better, se went out at 10, course to ourself, and by the 3rd it was bright sunshine and the wind dropped right off, even got warm enough to take the WP off.

had a nice round and all of us scored very well. i used a Prov 1 for the first time in 6 months, and despite me thinking i was losing distance with it, i found it wasn't the case, though the Prov1x did come off a bit lower. might go back to a prov next year but on the whole i think i pref the feel of the q start tour, off putter and iron.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to Huntswood with two mates. Back in good form as I managed 38 points (83 gross). Driving was excellent as it has been recently. The weather was not too bad on the front nine but we did get a bit drenched on the back - too windy to stick the umbrella up. Very happy with how I played though, considering we're into winter golf and I figured my good rounds were over for another year.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Last singles comp of the year. Was lucky to finish not long before the rain came. Played fairly solid golf apart from three drives each of which resulted in blobs. Considering the conditions 34pts was a decent score. Buffer under the current system, should result in a decrease in my handicap index under the WHS.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Greensomes playing in some of the worst conditions I’ve ever played in, and that’s saying something!

Late tee for me (12.30), all the best scores were in the morning before the storm hit, we had constant rain for the front 9, but then Armageddon struck for the whole back 9, was surprised we finished, we were having to take relief on every green due to them flooding.

We dropped shots on the last 3 holes and our only double of the day was on 18, when it was difficult to stand, never mind swing at a ball!

The other pair lost their ball on 18 in the middle of the fairway under a bank of leaves!

But we just qualified into the final 16 in 14th place with a nett 69 (par 73), so pleased to have made it through, more so with a new partner I didn’t know before.

Be amazed if the course is open this morning, it was still full on last night, but if it is, I’m back out at 8am ??‍♂️

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Ventured out to Kirtlington for there winter series round 1, I like the set up, green complex's and layout. shot 32pts with 38 putts 5 from 2ft (guess what wasn't that great, the part you really need to be perfect?)

North worth £30 even on a Saturday. a couple of wet area's but nothing major, best part we dodged all the rain but not the winds :)

You've been warned :) Winter series

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's a course that I've always found on the difficult side. The 6th is a great hole whilst the uphill 7th always seems to be into a strong breeze! And you can't complain with the view from the 2nd tee.

It was so long ago, that I don’t really remember it. I remember one hole where you tee off high up and have to clear a valley, possibly with water in it ... is that the 6th? And yes, I remember the second with views to the sea.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played this morning, would have been some round if my putting didn't decide to desert me conpletely.
16 GIR but only 1 birdie and 8 pars. The rest was woeful.

Pushes and pulls galore, some only from 3ft.
Looks like the puttout matt will be getting rolled out again this evening.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Missed out on the win by a shot yesterday, but outrageous CSS triggered an ESR and I am now, for the first time, for at least for a week a single figure golfer.

Happy days ?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
37 points in the roll-up this morning and won our pairs Matchplay, so didn’t have to put into the pot.

2 short putts missed, down to concentration, would have got me closer to my Matchplay partner who had 40 points and plays off 2.

Striking the ball much better, chipping as always was key to a lot of my pars where I got up & down.

Doubt I’ll get to play in the week with the nights drawing in so quickly, but I live in hope ?

No comps advertised for next week, so will try and get over to Woodhall and play ??‍♂️

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
35 points in the competition on Saturday with four missed putts from within 3ft.

38 today off the yellow tees in the Sunday roll up, very happy how I struck the ball, just a couple of poor shots

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not on the right mind frame to play so went to the range instead. Got the first 20 or so as hard as I could to get my frustration out then practiced properly for an hour.
Went to the practice green and carried on chipping with hand (left hand) and it’s weird how much better I am only using the one had - let’s hope it still works on Sunday when I play

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Maybe the last qualifier of the year so was hoping to have a decent round for once but the usual car crash ensued.

Scuffed 4 iron tee shot leading to a triple bogey on the first, a few more triples in the round and an 8 on the shortest hole on the course, that really annoyed me as it's an issue on the hole I've seen cause a lot of trouble for others too. Go long and you're either on a sunken path and have to drop on a downhill slope below the level of the green making a very difficult chip or pitch back to the green, or you roll onto said slope, which is what I did. From there it it took me five goes to get the ball on the green as I kept hitting the bank and rolling back onto the path. (I have a terrible short game for anyone who doesn't know, there was also an air shot in there)

So the end result was another score of 100, it's awful.
I felt weak all the way round too and struggled to get any power into my shots.

I'm sick of the course too, in fact I think I might need a break from golf.

(Playing Mizuno White Fang woos 1, 3 & 5, Mizuno TP-9 irons, 3 to SW and a Bronty putter.)

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Played today and went to the bar, all sat down as usual, got a rollicking because we was sat together. All puzzled looks and asked what she was on. Turns out the club falls in a different council that’s in tier 2. Only figured out it was a different council because we had to check the postcode :ROFLMAO:

It was bloody cold outside I know that much now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
32 points yesterday in the comp for 12th in my division and a 0.1 increase. Didn't hit it great but the bunker play and short game on point for once. Played today. Total crap but again short game and bunkers good. Ball striking awful and a dose of the lefts with the driver in particular. Not happy