I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Visit site
Played in a best ball stableford competition today - first time ever to play with a partner here - nice lad off of 14

Delayed 30 minutes due to a thunderstorm, then rain off and on, plus klaxon 'all-off the course' for an hour due to thunder + it was blowing a gale for part of it

This is not Italian golf :p

Started poorly - then began to contribute - 3 pars and a birdie on the back 9 (plus 2 howler holes of course)
Don't think we are in the money mind but was a great day actually :)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Stableford qualifier today, played with some crappy vintage clubs which are actually one of my favourite iron sets, the Slazenger Plus International, paired with a Maxfli laminated 1 and 3 wood and one of my favourite putters, Spalding Gold Medal, Model W.

I knew it wasn't going to be my day when I hit a solid second shot from the rough that landed on the top lip of the bunker and rolled back in, first go stayed in but next to 2.5 feet, rolled the putt in and was bending down to pick it out only to see it hit the piece of plastic that stops the ball dropping to the bottom and bounce out. :(

11 points on the front 9 and 19 on the back 9 for 30 total and another 0.1 back.

1598802903376.png1598802970868.png

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Board comp stableford today. Wasn’t confident was hitting the driver dreadfully. Warmed up and hit 10 drivers to try and get it back in the box. Thankfully I did, I hit my irons okay. Solid 39pts and 1 blob, a 2, so a share of the pot.
Played with 2 nice blokes. Conditions were good so reckon 40-43 will win. But I will taken my cut and be happy that my game is showing some signs of recovery.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Second round of our honours board event. Net 79 (+9) yesterday and 77 (+7) today but absolutely dogged it round. I started double, double (although did birdie the 4th) and somehow scrambled out in level handicap for the front nine. Parred the 10th and then lost the ability to swing the club and was awful from the 12th home. Game has fallen apart in the last few weeks after a purple patch

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Stableford qualifier today, played with some crappy vintage clubs which are actually one of my favourite iron sets, the Slazenger Plus International, paired with a Maxfli laminated 1 and 3 wood and one of my favourite putters, Spalding Gold Medal, Model W.

I knew it wasn't going to be my day when I hit a solid second shot from the rough that landed on the top lip of the bunker and rolled back in, first go stayed in but next to 2.5 feet, rolled the putt in and was bending down to pick it out only to see it hit the piece of plastic that stops the ball dropping to the bottom and bounce out. :(

11 points on the front 9 and 19 on the back 9 for 30 total and another 0.1 back.

View attachment 32207View attachment 32208

You obviously enjoy the challenge!!

Tee to green the best I've played in a while, hit almost everything in reg or less than. Putting usually my strong suit nowhere to be found. 3 putted 2 greens which I just don't do and missed a 3 footer on the second which resulted in me missing another 3 putts within 4 foot from my negativity and talking myself into pushing them.

Finished level gross but frustrating as it could have been the best day ive had in a while had the putter even remotely warmed up.

Went on to the putting green after a pint thinking I needed to work on my stroke and couldn't miss anything under 8 feet so certainly a mental block. Having a pint before I knock tomorrow though just in case that fixed it.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Second round of our honours board event. Net 79 (+9) yesterday and 77 (+7) today but absolutely dogged it round. I started double, double (although did birdie the 4th) and somehow scrambled out in level handicap for the front nine. Parred the 10th and then lost the ability to swing the club and was awful from the 12th home. Game has fallen apart in the last few weeks after a purple patch

I recently went through a purple patch ................................ I birdied our par 3 seventh!

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Few evening holes.

Same story. Start out well and descend into the hooks as the round goes on.

Backswing needs some work over winter.

Started the year cutting everything now fighting hooks. Been here before so will work it out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I recently went through a purple patch ................................ I birdied our par 3 eighth!

You're better than that. I heard you once had a birdie and a par in the same round. Think it was a Tuesday from memory

I do mind playing badly, even though I've had so much practice at it but it has annoyed me even more this weekend as I've been scoring reasonably consistently even if the swing and ball strike has petered off. Shouldn't be overly surprised as a) it was the first medal rounds I've played in ages b) I always have a customary slump before H4H and c) of course I am gloriously consistently inconsistent. With me it's good or crap with rarely any middle ground

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't play today but went down the driving range with the wife to get her practising with my mum's old clubs that we've borrowed for our golf break next weekend. I didn't give her too much instruction, because, well, I'm not qualified to - but I did give a couple of the bog standard tips on ball position and so on. The good thing is that she hits it pretty straight for the most part. Off the tee she was reasonable, she managed to hit the driver about 100 yards on good one probably. She liked the 7 wood off the lower tee, and the 7 iron too. Unfortunately, off the ground she couldn't hit it much distance at all. She's only swinging back a little way, and with not much speed either so she can barely get the ball off the ground. She HATED the shorter clubs i.e. the pitching wedge as she kept missing the ball completely on the inside - I did say to adjust her feet to stand nearer the ball but it wasn't working. I think she was standing up a little too straight perhaps. But given how she hits no distance she could probably just play with the 7 and no other irons at all to be honest.

After about 75 balls she had developed a bit of a better posture, knees slightly more bent and had worked out that this meant she could turn more easily and swing better, then she hit a couple more decent 7 woods. Again though she was much better off the tee of course - I said that when we're actually on the course, if she's really struggling off the grass I'll just let her tee it up for every shot since it doesn't matter to me. Whatever gets us round and keeps it enjoyable. She seemed to enjoy the range session though, and I was pleasantly surprised she didn't just tell me to shut up every time I gave advice. :LOL: She said if there's time this week she'll get another range session in, which was unexpected, so she obviously didn't hate it.

Then we had a go round the dinosaur adventure golf and I only beat her by one shot. Didn't want to crush her spirits completely right off the bat did I? :p

Last edited:

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
84 & +12 2nd week in comps putting left handed, back 9 started to feel more with it. feels more solid with top hand staying under control :) - massive move to get the game right over just continuing with the sh1t and poor putting confidence from 2ft.

Visit site
I didn't play today but went down the driving range with the wife to get her practising with my mum's old clubs that we've borrowed for our golf break next weekend. I didn't give her too much instruction, because, well, I'm not qualified to - but I did give a couple of the bog standard tips on ball position and so on. The good thing is that she hits it pretty straight for the most part. Off the tee she was reasonable, she managed to hit the driver about 100 yards on good one probably. She liked the 7 wood off the lower tee, and the 7 iron too. Unfortunately, off the ground she couldn't hit it much distance at all. She's only swinging back a little way, and with not much speed either so she can barely get the ball off the ground. She HATED the shorter clubs i.e. the pitching wedge as she kept missing the ball completely on the inside - I did say to adjust her feet to stand nearer the ball but it wasn't working. I think she was standing up a little too straight perhaps. But given how she hits no distance she could probably just play with the 7 and no other irons at all to be honest.

After about 75 balls she had developed a bit of a better posture, knees slightly more bent and had worked out that this meant she could turn more easily and swing better, then she hit a couple more decent 7 woods. Again though she was much better off the tee of course - I said that when we're actually on the course, if she's really struggling off the grass I'll just let her tee it up for every shot since it doesn't matter to me. Whatever gets us round and keeps it enjoyable. She seemed to enjoy the range session though, and I was pleasantly surprised she didn't just tell me to shut up every time I gave advice. :LOL: She said if there's time this week she'll get another range session in, which was unexpected, so she obviously didn't hate it.

Then we had a go round the dinosaur adventure golf and I only beat her by one shot. Didn't want to crush her spirits completely right off the bat did I? :p

Why not just tee it up for every shot from the start - and make that the rule for this round
That will probably keep it more enjoyable from the beginning - its her 1st round after all

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Board comp stableford today. Wasn’t confident was hitting the driver dreadfully. Warmed up and hit 10 drivers to try and get it back in the box. Thankfully I did, I hit my irons okay. Solid 39pts and 1 blob, a 2, so a share of the pot.
Played with 2 nice blokes. Conditions were good so reckon 40-43 will win. But I will taken my cut and be happy that my game is showing some signs of recovery.
Well result was good, 3rd overall , 2nd in men’s division winner was 45pts 20 handicap next was a 40 pts 11 handicap .

jamiet7682

Visit site
Out again on my own today to work on the short game, played pretty well through the round, didnt keep score as was hitting a few balls round the greens then spent 2 hours on the practice area working on my chipping and bunker shots.

Chipping is improving but its still a lottery trying to get out of bunkers.

Hopefully the work on the short game pays off in tomorrow nights medal.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
14 lovely holes in the sun this afternoon. Course was quiet so it was a chance to try some things out. Worthwhile from that perspective but more importantly it was just really pleasant. Getting a par on the last doesn't half help as well ?

Eagle2

Visit site
Not the best round today and I knew after 6 holes I wouldn't be making an amazing score but I did realise just how much I have improved over this summer... I've been out of work since May which has obviously allowed me to play a lot more but I can see so many things to feel positive about despite feeling like I hadn't had a good round.

Onwards and downwards hopefully

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Marked a card for three playing their final round of our honour board medal event being held this weekend (you can choose which two days over the three you place - unsurprisingly most played yesterday and today). Swung it much better and even though I didn't have a medal card in hand I got it round in 74 (Net +4) so happy. Putter was the main problem