I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played disc golf today. Never done it before, was quite enjoyable. Came third out of six. I became pretty decent at throwing it long and far off the tee (after pretty much copying the technique of the guy who won), but actually getting it in the basket thing (the 'hole') at the end proved troublesome for me.

TigerTime

Visit site
First 100 balls at the driving range after my first lesson the other day.

I definitely was hitting it better at the lesson. Strikes were so inconsistent compared to before the lesson and even at the lesson. A mix of thinned, high hooks (Which I've never really hit before), straight but low, tops, shanks the lot. A very mixed bag and I'm pretty concerned. I realise obviously making big changes is going to take a lot of time to get consistent with but it was pretty disheartening at times and I got frustrated with myself. Keeping the new grip was easy enough, turning on the backswing easy enough but sometimes turning the hips on the follow through and keeping the arms straight is something I seem to struggle to execute. I understand why and how to, but who knows why sometimes I just can't. It wasn't all bad. There were some good high draws in there however but they were well in the minority.

Obviously making huge changes like this is going to take time and plenty practice but even when I felt like I nailed a swing properly (grip, turn back, turn forward-straight arms) the strike was awful. It'll be interesting to see what happens over the course of the next month. The pro did also say that I would probably perform worse than before at first so hoping that's the case here.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Course was pretty busy today, as a single I was quickly let through a 4 ball then had a bit of a hold up before being let through the next group. Had caught the back of the train by the 11th, so joined up with the last pair to make a 3 ball. Grandad and grandson pairing, the lad who was 16/17 at a guess had only being playing 3 months apparently, but he looked like he had been playing for years.

Anyway, onto my game.....for a change I managed to start well with 2 pars followed by a bogey for a nett par on the 3rd (SI 1). A mixture of par/bogey/double over the next few holes before a nett eagle on the 9th saw me reach the turn in 40 strokes (+5 gross)

The back 9 stayed solid and was +7 as I teed up on the par 3 16th. 1st shot ball lost off the tee, reload and into the green side bunker, thin it out of the bunker through the other side of the green. Chip on and 2 out for a 7 leaving me +11......it was like I’d been slapped in the face. Onto the par 5 17th, lovely long drive straight down the middle, 6 iron to about 70 yards and stuck the wedge to 3 feet, sank the putt for a birdie (nett eagle) which put a smile back on my face. Then doubled the last to finish on 81 gross for 37 points.
Overall happy with the direction the game is going, can definitely see an improvement as I start to play more regularly. Really looking forward to H4H now.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Only had time for 13 holes which was a shame as I was playing really well. 19 points on the front 9 including a sweet birdie 2 on the signature 6th and a great par save up and down on 9. Par bogey bogey par for another 8 points 10-13. Wish I could have done all 18

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
had my practice round at Nairn Dunbar yesterday afternoon, course in great condidtion, though the greens were slowish, prob due us not teeing off till 2pm, true roll though.

i would say the best i'v seen it with some of the parts of the course that are usually wet , bone dry and the greens were pretty firm too. really starting to benifit from lots of the tree's being cut down esp , 10,11 and 13 losing much of the gorse on the left.

hit it pretty well but not as well as Robbo -6 gross

D

Deleted member 3432

had my practice round at Nairn Dunbar yesterday afternoon, course in great condidtion, though the greens were slowish, prob due us not teeing off till 2pm, true roll though.

i would say the best i'v seen it with some of the parts of the course that are usually wet , bone dry and the greens were pretty firm too. really starting to benifit from lots of the tree's being cut down esp , 10,11 and 13 losing much of the gorse on the left.

hit it pretty well but not as well as Robbo -6 gross
You play with some right choppers....?

D

Deleted member 3432

Quite pleased that my meagre 6 stableford points in Saturday's comp did not come last due to a dq included in the submitted scores :ROFLMAO:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
disasterous start yesterday, 4 blobs in the first 6 holes! In the circumstances, did well to get to 11 points at the turn. 17 points on the back 9 to end up on 28, my worst score in a long time.

2 lost balls, some heavily sliced drives, and inability to get out of bunkers all contributing factors, but against that, was hitting my irons really well (apart from the ones which went into greenside bunkers, but that was more a case of not lining up the shot properly).

Off to the range for some much needed practice this morning.

D

Deleted member 21258

Two rounds of plop and one good round.

Heathland is beautiful at the moment with the heather in full bloom.

It was a glorious walk in perfect golfing conditions. Chilled.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My usual round starts appallingly and slowly improves as the round goes on.
Today I started like a train and was three under handicap aster 5 holes but then it started to go downhill and I finished 5 over handicap. :(
(And worse still, I lost my score card holder that I've had for over 10 years. :cry: Hope someone hands it in but in the current "don't touch anything" climate they probably won't.

D

Deleted member 21258

84 & +12 2nd week in comps putting left handed, back 9 started to feel more with it. feels more solid with top hand staying under control :) - massive move to get the game right over just continuing with the sh1t and poor putting confidence from 2ft.

From that are you right handed and you are changing due to yips ?

Has it taken a lot of practise to get used to it ?

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I definitely was hitting it better at the lesson. Strikes were so inconsistent compared to before the lesson and even at the lesson. A mix of thinned, high hooks (Which I've never really hit before), straight but low, tops, shanks the lot. A very mixed bag and I'm pretty concerned. I realise obviously making big changes is going to take a lot of time to get consistent with but it was pretty disheartening at times and I got frustrated with myself. Keeping the new grip was easy enough, turning on the backswing easy enough but sometimes turning the hips on the follow through and keeping the arms straight is something I seem to struggle to execute. I understand why and how to, but who knows why sometimes I just can't. It wasn't all bad. There were some good high draws in there however but they were well in the minority.

Obviously making huge changes like this is going to take time and plenty practice but even when I felt like I nailed a swing properly (grip, turn back, turn forward-straight arms) the strike was awful. It'll be interesting to see what happens over the course of the next month. The pro did also say that I would probably perform worse than before at first so hoping that's the case here.
It is really hard to change the way you swing quickly.
Even harder to stick to what you are trying to achieve when it's going everywhere at the range.

Checking the output (where the ball goes) isn't overly reliable and what you feel you are doing might not actually be what you are actually doing!

If you can get some visual feedback (friend / camera) whilst you are at the range it might help you check you are going in the right direction.

The swing is a sequence where each step needs to slot in place to allow the subsequent one to do so.

Keep at it though, if you are still struggling ask your pro to break it down into smaller chunks so you can ingrain one step at a time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Sometimes it is quality over quantity. You have to work on the drills you were given. Rehearsal and practice are key. You need to really work hard on making the changes feel natural. When I have a lesson I do exactly that and rehearse and practice and ether take videos of the new swing to compare with those from the lesson. Alternatively I'll use the mirror in one of the practice bays to rehearse and feel the change. When I hit the ball with the changes I know it'll take time and I am more concerned with strike to start with. As the changes sink in then I'll worry more about direction but its a slow process

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Played yesterday at pedham place and it was hard work- some decent shots but a lot of poor ones
Driver playing up again so hit more 3 woods and averaged 270 with it (and straight) so the driver is going on eBay!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a blinder today at williamwood gc, nice course first time playing it and really enjoyed my round went round in 79 net 61 40/39 my lowest score ever,qz pulled my drives a few times but wasn't getting me in trouble
HORSES FOR COURSES , happened to me today too playing Pumpherston (y):love:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hit 50-60 balls on the range this afternoon and had only one single Lucy Locket - and that was when I took a random weird swing at the ball.

Something that very much gladdened my heart...:)

TigerTime

Visit site
Sometimes it is quality over quantity. You have to work on the drills you were given. Rehearsal and practice are key. You need to really work hard on making the changes feel natural. When I have a lesson I do exactly that and rehearse and practice and ether take videos of the new swing to compare with those from the lesson. Alternatively I'll use the mirror in one of the practice bays to rehearse and feel the change. When I hit the ball with the changes I know it'll take time and I am more concerned with strike to start with. As the changes sink in then I'll worry more about direction but its a slow process

Thanks for the advice Homer. I think I have the grip nailed already, it was a fairly straightforward change. The other drills just require more practice as you say. In fairness to myself it has only been 3 days since the lesson and I've been to the range once. I think I underestimated how long this might take to see the changes take effect fully. I didn't expect overnight change, but the reality is it might take me a good few months before it feels natural and I don't actually need to think about what I'm doing in the swing. I'm going to message the pro before the week is out and keep him updated on how its going. He added me to his trackman universe today, so hoping he will upload the stuff from my lesson over the next few days so I can take a look at what I was doing, there was one swing in particular where it just looked so smooth and like a proper swing I barely recognised myself. I'd love to see that one again in particular. I was pretty taken back by how good it looked/feeled and it just showed me that I am certainly capable of pulling it off.

I just played the local 9 hole pay and play this evening. It's a really short 9 hole course around 2400 yards but I hit 12 over par which obviously isn't great by any stretch especially on this course but I was expecting alot worse based on the range session yesterday. Tried not to think about the swing too much but it did creep in a fair amount. It was a weird outing to say the least, strike was pretty poor and inconsistent for the most part but the score was actually better than the last time I played this course. No shanks or tops! Anything I did strike fairly well usually went straight left, not by a huge amount but I'd be about 5 yards off the fairway. Not sure if just poor swing or aiming there it's hard to tell. Some clubs were shorter than I was expecting and some longer. On one of the par 3s I hit it within 7 feet of the cup (straight ball flight) and still managed to 3 putt! Think around 6 of the 9 holes were 3 putted which is bitterly disappointing, usually I'd have two or three of them over 18 holes and the rest would be majority 2 putts. I didn't come away upset, angry or disappointed. Equally as such I didn't come away thinking I was the next Tiger Woods. There was no strong emotional reaction really. Some positives to take away and negatives. Next up for me is a proper course on Saturday afternoon (weather pending as it's due to rain) and a range session on Friday for more practice.