I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played on Thursday and shot a bigger number than I should have done, despite playing with a new 1958 ball marker. ;)
I was hitting the ball really crispy but pulled far too many shots, almost everything was missing left.
I worked out that it was a hip thing and actually finished quite well, I even birdied stroke hole 1 for the first time!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
27 holes today, got my ass whipped in the morning 9 holes I played, just struggled off the tee and lost 3&2.

I then tested a stableford scoring mechanism using the IG app so we can start some comps. Set up as a 9 hole Comp. Easy to use.

End result, I beat our comps & handicap chairman who plays off 5.

We then managed to stay out after ringing the pro shop and as nobody was booked off the 10th, we followed through to play the back 9 as Matchplay, which I won 2-up.

Very pleased with the majority of my round, especially the back 9, I was 1 over gross walking up the 14th ?

standout hole was the 18th, longest I’ve ever driven up the fairway with my +3w to leave me 109yds to a back white flag, wedge pin high but on fringed 1st cut, just shaved the hole for birdie but a solid tap in par ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
27 holes today, got my ass whipped in the morning 9 holes I played, just struggled off the tee and lost 3&2.

I then tested a stableford scoring mechanism using the IG app so we can start some comps. Set up as a 9 hole Comp. Easy to use.

End result, I beat our comps & handicap chairman who plays off 5.

We then managed to stay out after ringing the pro shop and as nobody was booked off the 10th, we followed through to play the back 9 as Matchplay, which I won 2-up.

Very pleased with the majority of my round, especially the back 9, I was 1 over gross walking up the 14th ?

standout hole was the 18th, longest I’ve ever driven up the fairway with my +3w to leave me 109yds to a back white flag, wedge pin high but on fringed 1st cut, just shaved the hole for birdie but a solid tap in par ?
Did the guy leading your group play his game yet?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Much windier tonight than yesterday and I didn't hit my irons nearly as well, wedges in particular are not playing nicely and I can't wait until the practice ground is open so I can nip down and hit some wedges. Driving the ball really well (for me) and birdied 18th for second day running.

We had a really slow pair in front of us and a couple of guys behind who teed off as soon as we cleared the first green, so probably three or four minutes before their tee time, because of these two factors it felt cramped on the front nine but that all changed when the slow pair walked off after ten holes - after that we didn't see anyone in front or behind and raced round the back nine without ever feeling like we were rushing.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some really good play (6 pars and a birdie) mixed in with four 7s and an 8 today to end up one under net. Best I've putted and chipped since the restart and the potential for a low round is there.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Another go on the 9 hole academy course. Started bad (+3 on par 4) and never had the feeling I got into it. Added up my score with 3 holes to go and was on my way to the best round on that course. Drove badly from then as the groups were all pushed together and I had people watching me, but somehow I held it together for a 43 (+10) overall. I Think my best before was a 45.
I did 9 2 puts which basically meant my chipping wasn't good enough to give me a couple of 1 puts.
3 pars, 3 bogeys, 2 double and the 1st hole.

Funny how last week I was happy with my game but didn't score well. Today I felt I played bad but the score is starting to come together.

anji71

Visit site
Played first game 2 days ago and shot 80. Couldn’t my mid irons straight. Played today shot 76 after being 4 over after 6 holes, then it clicked. All in the grip.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Out today with my recently restored 1950s Forgan "De luxe" 2 wood, 1930s Ben Sayers "Parex" 1 to 8 irons, 1930s Spalding "Kro-Flite" Dynamiter (sand wedge) and 1950s Ben Sayers "Parex" putter. All in a 1960s Ben Sayers bag on a Caddylac trolley.

Unfortunately I forgot to take my phone so don't have an on-course picture but snapped the below in the garden.

Even more unfortunately I played absolute rubbish, 12 points out, 10 back for 22 total! Couldn't get any confidence going in the irons, which felt a little light, and kept under clubbing on approach shots. Two lost balls in not very long rough, one lost OB and one lost in a pond!
Oh well, I've got two more rounds with these clubs to get some confidence before they go back in the cupboard, roll on Tuesday and Thursday. :)

1590947549498.png

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Out today with my recently restored 1950s Forgan "De luxe" 2 wood, 1930s Ben Sayers "Parex" 1 to 8 irons, 1930s Spalding "Kro-Flite" Dynamiter (sand wedge) and 1950s Ben Sayers "Parex" putter. All in a 1960s Ben Sayers bag on a Caddylac trolley.

Unfortunately I forgot to take my phone so don't have an on-course picture but snapped the below in the garden.

Even more unfortunately I played absolute rubbish, 12 points out, 10 back for 22 total! Couldn't get any confidence going in the irons, which felt a little light, and kept under clubbing on approach shots. Two lost balls in not very long rough, one lost OB and one lost in a pond!
Oh well, I've got two more rounds with these clubs to get some confidence before they go back in the cupboard, roll on Tuesday and Thursday. :)

View attachment 30963

Looks a very cool set. Can you take a photo of the bag too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Last day of two balls for 18 holes. Played with a nice guy from our Saturday roll up. Wind was stronger than I expected and I was utter crap, Couldn't do a thing off the tee and ball striking all round totally off. Scrambled brilliantly and putted well for a semblance of respectability. Bunker play very good too. Had a lesson on Wednesday and worked on it Friday for 60 balls but the changes, minor though they seemed at the time aren't bedding in. I can see a video of the swing going to the teaching pro for an update as I'm clearly missing a point somewhere or not actioning it correctly

D

Deleted member 3432

Last day of two balls for 18 holes. Played with a nice guy from our Saturday roll up. Wind was stronger than I expected and I was utter crap, Couldn't do a thing off the tee and ball striking all round totally off. Scrambled brilliantly and putted well for a semblance of respectability. Bunker play very good too. Had a lesson on Wednesday and worked on it Friday for 60 balls but the changes, minor though they seemed at the time aren't bedding in. I can see a video of the swing going to the teaching pro for an update as I'm clearly missing a point somewhere or not actioning it correctly

You can't expect some 'changes' to bed in after 60 balls 2 days ago can you?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You can't expect some 'changes' to bed in after 60 balls 2 days ago can you?
No but would have hoped after hitting it so well during the lesson and getting some good ones away on Friday that there would have been a modicum of competency. Not the end of the world as great company great weather and chipped pitched and got out of bunkers well so some good points

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played a painfully slow round at allerton with stu. Can’t wait till all the newbies get fed up of being crap an give up (#dontgrowthegame). Roll on the comps, I’m obviously not a social golf fan.

Started out fade slicing irons which was a shock, got it back together a bit back 9.

Note, even after 1 round, Cleveland make far superior wedges to Wilson Staff

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Second post-lockdown round today, with the same mate as last week. We were both a heck of a lot worse than last week. Well, a fair bit worse but also had all the bad luck as well so the score was a lot worse. 27 points for me, and it took a rare par at the 18th when I hit a 35 yard pitch to tap-in distance which was a nice way to end at least.

Driving was similar to last week, started really good but then started to slice a couple later on. I brought my GAPR this time, three two shots with it, duffed the first two and hit a big draw the third time, which is actually what I bought it for, so mixed bag again. Bought the GAPR before lockdown but still not been really able to judge if it's staying in or not. Stay of execution.

Hit a couple of great putts. Experimented with using the hybrid to chip a couple of times when I was up against the collar where the grass gets longer - put to two feet both times so that was successful. Hit one god-awful shank on a par 3 with my 50° as well. I like to entertain.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well after 2 months in a net hitting balls with irons, felt i was hitting it well, strike was good(used tape on the face) and thought i might have gained a bit of distance....

first game back at Nairn... hit it like i'd touched a club for the first time ever thst day, esp with woods, driver was just a weal slice and iron s not much better, scored OK and had a least 10 pars, but the rest were doubles at best. 2nd game, driving back, but still a bit weak. The main problem is with the 3 wood, my most consistant club in the back, which was always a draw carrying 215/20, every shot with this now is a slice which is going 150...

Played the Kings yesterday with Go Go, who is very competative, off the back tee's 6600, prep for a humping, played OK, 74 gross which is 4 over but a vast improv... and beat the bugger.

lesson learned, don't tinker with your swing unsupervised:cry:

D

Deleted member 21258

Definitely a what if weekend, what if I played better, I may have scored well:whistle:

Beau, hit the ball well, ball going for mmmmmmmmmmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssss 10 GIR, 2 lost balls, 3 putted six of the GIR. Scored whatever:whistle:

Mile, Yesterday with son, ball going for milllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssss, beat him for the 3rd time on the trot 2&1, hit the par 5 4th in 2, missed eagle putt :(, hit the par 4 18th off the tee, missed eagle putt:(:( didn't get one par on the back nine. Front nine solid. 3 birdies, scored okay;)

Visit site
Second post-lockdown round today, with the same mate as last week. We were both a heck of a lot worse than last week. Well, a fair bit worse but also had all the bad luck as well so the score was a lot worse. 27 points for me, and it took a rare par at the 18th when I hit a 35 yard pitch to tap-in distance which was a nice way to end at least.

Driving was similar to last week, started really good but then started to slice a couple later on. I brought my GAPR this time, three two shots with it, duffed the first two and hit a big draw the third time, which is actually what I bought it for, so mixed bag again. Bought the GAPR before lockdown but still not been really able to judge if it's staying in or not. Stay of execution.

Hit a couple of great putts. Experimented with using the hybrid to chip a couple of times when I was up against the collar where the grass gets longer - put to two feet both times so that was successful. Hit one god-awful shank on a par 3 with my 50° as well. I like to entertain.
Finally getting my GAPR on the fairways. We were on mats or first cut when the lockdown kicked in. Only used it once on each of the 2 rounds I played over the weekend. I’m sure it will see more action when we move back to white tees. Courses are playing shorter just now, hybrids and rescues not required as much.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Just played an 18 by myself and for the 1st time ever I broke 120. (Yellow tees)

I also broke 100 while I was at it, and with some control of the speed of putting 90 would have been possible
You can’t par a par 3 if you 3 put!
But I nearly hit both par 5 in regulation (inches right or short).

My golf is so much depending on a decent lie and I didn’t get those in winter.

Another tee time tomorrow.