I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Re: I played today and......

Competition and doubles match on Saturday morning. Out in a +3 37, and back in a +6 42 for my second sub 80 competition round of the year and a victory in our match by 1 hole :).

High quality match with par or better winning every hole bar the difficult 6th. The lead changed hands 3 times, never getting to more that 2 holes and required a 4-footer to be holed at the last to avoid extra holes. The pair we were playing have had success recently and you could tell they didn't enjoy getting pipped given the lack of banter across the teams.

On my personal performance, I hit it ok, but I have never putted better from inside 8ft. 28 putts total including many nervy 4-6 footers and they all dropped. I lost 2 balls on the back 9 as is customary for me these days, and getting good tee shots away at the tricky driving holes will be my priority which could save 4 shots and have me breaking 75 for the first time.

The amazing weather and the recently installed green sprinklers are giving us a great combo of hard fairways and soft greens making the course very scorable.

All in all a great day on Saturday and cut 0.9 down to new low of 13.9.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site

Played Yesterday. 36 points with 2 blobs & 2 8 net 6's on the card. One of our group had 41 points, so knew I didn't win.

I did learn however that in this weather it's best not to wear a bright green shirt. Was covered in little back beetles!

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site

Couple of days late but played Thetford in their Captains Day charity with Glyn, Shaun and his mate. Course is a real gem. Routing is fabulous and the greens were taking a ball despite the very dry spell we are experiencing. The par 3's are particularly good. On a personal level, I was pretty ordinary until our negative captain 'keep it in play Roddy' allowed me to go on the attack and take the driver upon which I played the last 4 holes in 2 under. :eek:

My putting is beginning to give me nightmares. I am taking the head back way too far and then slowing down through impact. Missed 6 birdie putts on the day (of which most on here would expect to hole 3/4).

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I played a blinder yesterday! Entered the July medal, which coincidentally was the one competition I won last year. Triple bogeyed the first (tricky par 3) but recovered and went on to go round in 84, a new personal best for me, and less my 22 handicap gives me 62 net!
golf clap 👏👏

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Point of order Mr Chairman...
Started by Imurg? I fear not... :whistle::rofl:

JD - your thread had to be canned coz P...sorry, someone requested all their posts deleted under the new GDPR regs.....see MikeH's post last week...

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site

final of county handicap foursomes today, we never really got going and my partner was far from her best, I was steady without being great so a meagre 30 points.

We played Woolton in Liverpool, an odd course, a lot of tees were right next to greens so there was an awful lot of waiting around, we were 4th out and took nearly 4 hours, I suspect the last ones out were a lot longer.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Played like an idiot in the roll up on Saturday. Repeated the feat in the monthly stableford yesterday. If I could find a way to mess it up I did. Not happy but move onto a charity day on Thursday and try again

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Played Royal County Down yesterday in an open.

There was 3 of us and a member who was really really helpful pointing out the lines off the tee for the blind shots- would have been a lot more lost balls without him.

It was my first time at RCD and had a bit of first tee nerves and with the wind coming off the left was wary of the slice. Par 5 first I hit a great cut over the dune on the left of the fairway. Thinking I hadn't carried it enough I was pleased to find the ball in the middle of the fairway with 212 to the flag. Unfortunately duffed my second but managed to salvage a par with the birdie putt just slipping by. Rode my luck for a while, finding all of the balls I hit into the rough but the luck ran out on the 4th where I topped a 3 wood to be never seen again. All in all I played pretty steady but only had 28 points but that was mainly due to poor putting. I missed about 4 3 footers and had a few others go round the cup and come back at me. Drove the 16th par 4 but the ball went through the back into the thick stuff and I could only hack it out sideways. One other thing to mention is the bunkers- never played in anything like them. The sand is like a thicker dust. It is so heavy and deep, really really punishing. If you went into a fairway bunker it was a hack out with a wedge every time

Absolutely loved the course and the score did not matter one bit. The member we played with has given me his number and we are invited back anytime. Will definitely be back and would recommend the course to anyone.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site

Played Royal County Down yesterday in an open.

There was 3 of us and a member who was really really helpful pointing out the lines off the tee for the blind shots- would have been a lot more lost balls without him.

It was my first time at RCD and had a bit of first tee nerves and with the wind coming off the left was wary of the slice. Par 5 first I hit a great cut over the dune on the left of the fairway. Thinking I hadn't carried it enough I was pleased to find the ball in the middle of the fairway with 212 to the flag. Unfortunately duffed my second but managed to salvage a par with the birdie putt just slipping by. Rode my luck for a while, finding all of the balls I hit into the rough but the luck ran out on the 4th where I topped a 3 wood to be never seen again. All in all I played pretty steady but only had 28 points but that was mainly due to poor putting. I missed about 4 3 footers and had a few others go round the cup and come back at me. Drove the 16th par 4 but the ball went through the back into the thick stuff and I could only hack it out sideways. One other thing to mention is the bunkers- never played in anything like them. The sand is like a thicker dust. It is so heavy and deep, really really punishing. If you went into a fairway bunker it was a hack out with a wedge every time

Absolutely loved the course and the score did not matter one bit. The member we played with has given me his number and we are invited back anytime. Will definitely be back and would recommend the course to anyone.
It’s ond of the greatest courses anywhere on the planet!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

IT is getting frustratingly monotonous, bordering on driving me insane. Four under after 14, just parred the SI 1, par five. Smashed me drive down the middle of the 15th and finished +3 for the round. Am off sulking

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I played a blinder yesterday! Entered the July medal, which coincidentally was the one competition I won last year. Triple bogeyed the first (tricky par 3) but recovered and went on to go round in 84, a new personal best for me, and less my 22 handicap gives me 62 net! Par is 68 at our place, but that could still be on for a winning score and retaining my July medal title! :rofl: At the very least it will be a huge cut I should think. I know the best anyone got on the Saturday was 63, but I don't know what the other Sunday players did yet.

I hit some much better drives today, although still a couple of awful ones - but I managed to recover from those ones really well. The bone dry fairways helped in that respect I think (i.e. just pumping it out of the rough, still got it to roll up quite close to the green). My short game was really good (for me), and with the new e6 softs I was trying out, I felt I was holding a lot more greens than my DX2s were in the last few weeks. Putting was good two, save for two shortish ones that I was gutted I missed (should have been 82 really!). Overall it was 5 pars, 11 bogeys, 1 double, 1 triple. So nice and tidy really. Delighted.
The results are in, and my 62 was the best, so I've won the July Medal second year in a row! :D New handicap 19.8! Chuffed with that.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Filled in for the B-team last night, I lost my match-play but played under handicap, so although I'm OK-ish with that, I was still scrambling far too much, especially after a few wild tee shots!

Chipping & putting is still the strongest part of my game but the hard ground cost me a few times with approaches into the green where I didn't pick the ball off cleanly and if you just nick the ground slightly before, the thud and contact is scary, it cost me a few bunker shots and lost holes which were begging to be won.

I used to be so confident off the tee, but somethings crept in and it's [driving] me mad, so booked a lesson with my assistant Pro for Friday, lets hope he notices what the issue is and rectifies it quickly for me.

Seniors Open today, always a popular event at Coventry, so a full field, I'm off at 10am, I can see me teeing off with my 4w most of today, which actually I out drove most of the other PP's last night with!

I've been in some good form for a few weeks, then this last few rounds I've gone backwards, this game is like bloody snakes & ladders!