I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

D

Deleted member 15344

Nice early start at 7:30 , -5 in the car , course frozen , 16 of us playing in the swindle , didn’t feel too cold , was a great laugh , just enjoyable where the standard golf wasn’t worth worrying about

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well that was a laugh! Frozen conditions today. I couldn't play last week due to a cut finger so I was always going out today regardless (finger still not great but had a plaster on it and didn't grip as tightly as usual.)

Managed to birdie our first (13th) - never a good idea as we all know! Farcical at times after that. Most of the greens were frozen solid and like trying to pitch it onto your kitchen floor, so absolutely no chance. Other times couldn't get a tee in the ground so ended up skying a few tee shots! Did manage a second birdie on the par 5 8th with one of my best shots of the year - a 175 6 iron out of the rough, aimed short to allow for the skip forward off the ground and ended up two feet from the pin. Only had one par all day though despite the two birdies! Some of holes were just a joke really, your options were land it short in the bunker or bounce it 20 yards through the back - and you really didn't want to be in a bunker.

Managed to laugh it off for the most part, didn't play the last hole as we were actually losing light as we were held up early on, so ended up with 28 points for 17 holes and felt like I'd played well to get that. 82 gross so would have likely been 87-89 had we played the last hole; very happy to break 90 despite the ridiculous conditions.

I genuinely saw one of our members playing in shorts and t-shirt. It was -1°c by the end. Absolutely mental. I had four layers, a hat and gloves. :oops:

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Such a fun round of golf today…

Course closed yesterday due to a bit of snow and frozen ground, today’s comp cancelled. Email first thing confirming the course is open although frozen…

Got there about 9.30, car park empty, me and P virtually had the course to ourselves. Pro said they opened the course knowing barely anybody would play. Scene was set on the first, pal pitched on from 20 yards ‘boing’ ball hits the ice rink of a green, bounces 20 feet in the air off the back, cue fits of laughter from both of us! Spent the rest of the day taking the rough with smooth, enjoying the mad bounces, leaving putts 10 feet short due to the ball collecting snow, trying to land wedges 10 feet short to anllow the big bounce forward etc. Loved it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Winter greens and rock hard ground made the golf fun if a large bit random. And just to top off my randomness I went and got my first ever hole in one…on a 49yd temporary hole…so that doesn‘t count. Which is good, as I’d rather my first was a on a proper par 3.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Winter greens and rock hard ground made the golf fun if a large bit random. And just to top off my randomness I went and got my first ever hole in one…on a 49yd temporary hole…so that doesn‘t count. Which is good, as I’d rather my first was a on a proper par 3.

But it does count, you can't discount it because the hole was short, it was the course layout for that day.
It's certainly not one to shout about though. :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But it does count, you can't discount it because the hole was short, it was the course layout for that day.
It's certainly not one to shout about though. :)
Indeed but not sure on it counting, see other thread, course not qualifying etc. Though maybe I’ll take the albatross ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Good fun today - team comp in the icy' est, most frozen conditions for some time, our first hole in a shotgun start, a 125 par 3, where all 4 scores count (except we were only a 3 ball with one crying off sick) a 50° gap wedge and a15ft bounce and a 4 to start and so it went on ! ??

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seniors Christmas Texas scramble today, half the course was closed so we only played 9 holes. Teams of 4, each player to take four tee shots, mine were chosen for holes 1 and 2. The player whose shot is chosen can't play the next shot.

I just counted the shots I hit over the nine holes and due to the format I only hit 18 shots, including putts, glad I showed up! o_O

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played 9 holes on Wednesday and Thursday this week. Two different courses.
I had a nightmare trying to get the tees in the ground. I even broke the end of a heavy duty penknife trying to break through.

What do other guys do in this situation?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
...not use a tee and hit my 5 wood off the ground. Mind you, if it's that frozen (which it is) we'll be closed.

-7 at Newport last night. Course been closed since last Saturday. Prospect of play tomorrow, slimmer than a slim person from Slimville!

I played a tee shot yesterday on a par 3 with a five iron. It was sat up on an all weather mat. When I struck the ball the club never followed through. There was a frozen dip under the ball. I thought I had broke my wrists as the club stopped dead. ?
Edit to say a few of my PP ended up topping the balls yesterday with there woods. The club hits the frozen ground, bounces up and hits the top of the ball. Quite funny to see ?