I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Hit some balls at the range at St Andrews today - hadn't hit a ball in a couple of months. Enjoyed it, hit the ball reasonably well, Sadly heavy rain coming on as we left the range scuppered the plan to play nine holes on the Balgove course. In the mood for an actual round of golf in the next week or so.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played in a club seniors match today against Pyecombe GC and fate decided that I should be pitted against fellow forummer Golfmmad … what’s the odds?! Really enjoyable match in good weather, even though I was never really on my game, and in the end my partner and I lost 2&1. However, my club won the match 5-3, so it was not all bad.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played in a club seniors match today against Pyecombe GC and fate decided that I should be pitted against fellow forummer Golfmmad … what’s the odds?! Really enjoyable match in good weather, even though I was never really on my game, and in the end my partner and I lost 2&1. However, my club won the match 5-3, so it was not all bad.
Really enjoyed the match today. It was close all the way in and in good spirits. We just about managed the win with two pivotal moments in the match.
My 30ft downhill putt that went straight in and my partners chip to the pin that just stopped 1/2 an inch from dropping which sealed the win!
Was good to meet up with Alan (Canary Kid) who despite his handful of shots played well throughout.

Loved the course and the challenge.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played a seniors betterball match today, I was giving 26 shots to one of their guys!

I thought we'd need to get ahead early so that they didn't get any confidence going, which we did, but the guy's handicap was genuine and the only player in the fourball who could be accused of being a bandit was me, I was 5 under handicap when we closed it out 6 &5. :eek:

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played a seniors betterball match today, I was giving 26 shots to one of their guys!

I thought we'd need to get ahead early so that they didn't get any confidence going, which we did, but the guy's handicap was genuine and the only player in the fourball who could be accused of being a bandit was me, I was 5 under handicap when we closed it out 6 &5. :eek:
Blimey, 26shots!That was tough.
I thought one of my opponents with 13 shots was enough! ?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played at Sixkleholmw today in a lady's open, it's a lovely course that I have played a few times, I hit the ball really well, I was on the green or within a yard of it on 12 holes, I only had 3 pars! I have must have 3 putted 7 or 8 times, it was embarassing. my long game was category 1 my short game category 6

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have had a real crap few days golf wise.

Thursday, heading up for a game at lunchtime, the heavens opened. Sky looked full of rain, so reluctantly we abandoned the game. Just as well as it hammered it down for a couple of hours.

Due to play Saturday morning, so had a quiet night on Friday. No alcohol, off to bed about 10pm. Woke up at 2am, felt awful. Got up just in time to have the biggest puke ever, carried on like that thru the night, had to pull out Saturday's game in favour of a day in bed.

Still felt dreadful Sunday, hardly moved from the couch.

Monday a little but better, but nowhere near able to play, so another game abandoned. Felt well enough last night to agree to a long dog walk, but had to cut it short as just felt done in after 2 miles.

Due to play this morning, didn't feel too bad so decided to give it a go. Big mistake. Was as weak as a kitten, hacked my way round for 9 holes but was totally drained so had to make my excuses and head home for a bath and bed.

Due to play tomorrow and Thursday. Not holding out a lot of hope for tomorrow which is just a casual knock at our place, however Thursday is an Open at Foxton Hall, I'll be gutted if I have to miss that.

sjw

Visit site
Choking on 18 again

A really dumb question here, but what's the 19th, 20th? I see them mentioned but I just don't know.

EDIT: Quoted the wrong post, but the question stands. Looking at context, maybe you just keep playing if there is a tie; you start going round again?

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A really dumb question here, but what's the 19th, 20th? I see them mentioned but I just don't know.

EDIT: Quoted the wrong post, but the question stands. Looking at context, maybe you just keep playing if there is a tie; you start going round again?
Extra holes in matchplay if it's a tie after 18(y)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played at the course of @Voyager EMH with a couple more members from his club who were playing their second or third vintage game, very enjoyable and @Voyager EMH and me won the match 3&1.
Thanks @Voyager EMH
I played Slazenger Johnny Miller JM63 irons and woods and a slightly earlier Slazenger Johnny Miller putter.
My shot of the day was a 5 wood from just over 200 yards, uphill, which bounded over or round a front bunker and onto the green leaving a birdie putt, which I missed.

1663092718729.png

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just in from six holes in the gloom and rain. Went our for the walk and a bit of fresh air so just took 3 clubs and two balls with me (carried in my hand - no bag...). Got a nice birdie on our par 3 2nd. A rare beast for me on that hole...7i to 6ft and rolled in the putt.

Got very wet.

sjw

Visit site
6 holes, 2 balls? Sounds like a video I watched recently.

No but seriously, I wouldn't have the guts to do that! I'd be down to 1 off the first tee!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
A new course for me yesterday Oswestry, very enjoyable and definitely one to go back too, a very undulating course with lots of uphill approaches and extremely unusually three of the par 3s had single figure SIs

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Played at the course of @Voyager EMH with a couple more members from his club who were playing their second or third vintage game, very enjoyable and @Voyager EMH and me won the match 3&1.
Thanks @Voyager EMH
I played Slazenger Johnny Miller JM63 irons and woods and a slightly earlier Slazenger Johnny Miller putter.
My shot of the day was a 5 wood from just over 200 yards, uphill, which bounded over or round a front bunker and onto the green leaving a birdie putt, which I missed.

View attachment 44320

Redundant "my" according to 3 other chaps and you forgot to mention the pond 50 yards short of the green which your ball flew over with ease before dodging the bunker.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played in the Liphook Centenary event today with hickory clubs, format was a Texas Scramble with three Liphook members in each fourball who'd never hit a hickory club before and one golf collector who had.
I have to admit that I wasn't looking forward to it as it was a 5 am start and the weather forecast was heavy rain for most of the morning, not nice when playing hickory!

The rain cleared after 2 or 3 holes, however, and my group just clicked and for pretty much every shot we had at least one good ball in play, holed several long putts between us (three 2s on the card) and we came in with a 4 under gross 67, net 56, which was good enough for first place.

It's great when a day you had misgivings about turns out to be brilliant!

To top it all off, on the way home I collected some old clubs I'd won on ebay and I've already smuggled the best ones into the house, picture of one below.
An early Ogg-Mented iron, one of the first to really explore perimeter weighting. As well as the hexagonal chunk of steel on the toe, you might be able to make out the lead filled "weight ports" arrowed on the toe.

1663191008928.png

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
lady capts team v lady secs team match today while greens are getting back to their best after renovation, I played pretty well was slightly better than my handicap, my opponent played "the best I have played all year" beat me easily., good fun though and a nice cream team to follow

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Seniors Open at Alnmouth (Foxton Hall) today. Course was in fantastic condition, greens were the fastest I’ve played on all year.

Weather decent on the whole apart from two torrential downpours which thankfully only lasted a few minutes.

4BBB, we played ok, but only 36 points mainly down to greens being so tricky.

All in all, a lovely day at a fantastic club, definitely my favourite in the North East.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played in a company golf day yesterday. It was billed as a non golfer + golfers Texas scramble. Mainly a fun thing and it sure was, each team of 4 having one fairly regular golfer. My team had me plus 3 players, all around 40 years old who play the occasional round but not anything regular.

The funny thing was that all three players, their sets of clubs made me think I was at the "Antiques Roadshow from Woburn" ! I've never seen so many ancient Dunlop, Slazenger etc etc clubs . Funniest thing was when one of our team tee'd off our first hole and his club head went further than the ball ??

To be able to enjoy the game, but with a lot of laughs It was a refreshing change from all the serious games we normally play at our club, I thoroughly enjoyed the day and will look forward to doing it again next year

Reactions: sjw

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just back from our autumn jolly. Aberdeenshire this year, Kemnay, Deeside, Peterculter were the new courses to start of then back to the familiar territory of links courses the last two rounds. Give me 30 mph wind over trees? anyday