I played for the first time today in 50+ days and …...

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golf ball lifters in the holes and a mini rake in my bag, the new normal for golf began. Driving came back pretty quick and putting was as abysmal as when I last played. Course looking pretty good although the rough was brutal.

Ready to go again on Thursday.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was not as bad as I thought.

My game seems to lack power at the moment, arms and hips not working together I guess. Maybe 10% down distance wise than usual.

First putts are atrocious, cant get them anywhere near the hole, second putts are not dropping as frequently as a result.

Not a surprise as no warm up, just straight on the tee, at least I hit the first green!

D

Deleted member 21258

a.jpg

1st tee back above.

Hooray played on the last tee time at 4pm, millionaires golf apart from mum/wife ahead of me/son. Nice to see them all again.

Back aches, feet throbbing, hands throbbing, shoulder aches, knee aches.

Was it great to be out there again and playing, you bet, it was bleeding ace.:LOL:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It was not as bad as I thought.

My game seems to lack power at the moment, arms and hips not working together I guess. Maybe 10% down distance wise than usual.

First putts are atrocious, cant get them anywhere near the hole, second putts are not dropping as frequently as a result.

Not a surprise as no warm up, just straight on the tee, at least I hit the first green!

You need a new putter, obviously.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Just 9 on the academy course today but it went surprisingly well. 4/6 drives went over 180 yard including my 2 longest all time at 187 and 194 yards. Did relatively well on approach but missed greens to the side. Awful on short chipping, well, this is different to the garden after all. Hyprid belongs burned, 2 short, 50 yard average on what was supposed to be a 160ish yard shot in both cases. 1 3 put on teh last hole after a nasty bounce away from teh flag on a 120 yard 8i approach which looked good all the way ;-(

13 over for 9 holes is OK fo me, actually quite good. I think what helped is that the course was packed and I had to take time over every shot instead of rushing it.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So it was really an 80 with a lucky bounce?

Only joking?, well done ? ?
Thank you. Already had my golf mates questioning its validity because as the cups are upside down the hole is only an inch or so deep so they say it doesn’t count as a full hole in one as the ball didn‘t drop the required distance!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thank you. Already had my golf mates questioning its validity because as the cups are upside down the hole is only an inch or so deep so they say it doesn’t count as a full hole in one as the ball didn‘t drop the required distance!

the ball is considered holed if any part of the ball is below the surface of the putting green, even if not lodged against the flagstick.

Which will be of no help if it wasn't in a comp - but who cares, it's a hole in one.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am well aware of the rules, this is the current situation. I would check the R&A website as well.

https://www.congu.co.uk/guidance-on-qualifying-scores-during-the-covid-19-restrictions/
And this goes with the above

England Golf
Hole and Holed

• The hole liner (sometimes referred to as the hole ‘cup’) is to be set in a way that means that all of the ball cannot be below the surface of the putting green, so the ball is considered holed if any part of it is below the surface of the putting green
• To minimise the need to lift the ball from the hole, it is recommended that the Committee provides that a ball is holed with the next stroke if it is within 12 inches of the hole (which is just over the length of a standard putter grip). This does not prevent a player in match play conceding a stroke that is outside this length
• The Committee may decide to have the hole liner sitting above the surface of the green and treat a ball as holed if it strikes the liner Note: Consult the relevant handicapping authority on whether scores using any of the above provisions are acceptable for handicapping purposes -

https://www.congu.co.uk/guidance-on-qualifying-scores-duringthe-covid-19-restrictions/

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...and...it was magic. 'Millionaires' golf - with most of the time only me and my partner on each hole. Course (and greens) is superb condition. Birdied our 1st :) and one under my h/cap front none. Back nine a fair bit messier - but I expected that. Nothing terrible. And lovely sunny warm day.

Looking forward to tomorrow. 2 rounds in two days - whatever next. And as I've got 9 holes on Friday my wife is telling me that I can't complain. I wasn't today - though she did say that she was a bit worried that I'd come through the door miserable - and she was so pleased I was smiling :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played the front nine today. Managed 14 points which I could easily do prior to lockdown. Lost a ball and didn't score on our par 3 6th which is still my nemesis hole even after break. Missed the green on the short 8th and an ugly three putt on the 9th to drop points but driver much better as was distance although I swapped from Chrome Soft to AD333 and so no surprise there. Greens a tad quicker it felt.

Looking forward to booking an 18 Wednesday afternoon and off on Friday so will get rounds in every day over the bank holiday (if I can get a time). Our Whatsapp group have even arranged a knockout to run over 18 holes and a plate for those losing in the first round. £5 a head (I am sure we'll find a way to organise payment electronically). Prize money will be £100 to winner of the cup, £30 to runner up in the cup and £30 to winner of the plate. Should be a bit of fun

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Just back from Newport, first day of play in Wales today. Opening tee shot was a good as can hit. No warm up , out of the car and off! No idea how. Beautiful day, course in great nick, round in 2 hours 20 without hurrying!!

...but drove home thinking that it wasn't that great playing on your own! Hope the Welsh Senedd get their thinking heads on soon

Spoon

Visit site
So I played today for the first time in 5110 days, approximately (14 years).

In that time I've been to the range, maybe 30 times, but today I played the local 12 hole short course. Par 43 and around 2000yards (shhh, its a start).

I shot 48... Including a birdie and An Eagle on what can only be described as a 'dubious' par 5 :D I'd have had another birdie if the flag was out too, drained one right into the pole and it bounced it out the cup.

I'm made up, I was pretty wayward off the tee but once I got within 50 yards I discovered my short game (which was always my strong suit) hasn't left me, chipped and putted like a dream.

Beginners (returners) luck I'm sure, but I'm back and I can't wait to play again :)

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I played today for the first time in 5110 days, approximately (14 years).

In that time I've been to the range, maybe 30 times, but today I played the local 12 hole short course. Par 43 and around 2000yards (shhh, its a start).

I shot 48... Including a birdie and An Eagle on what can only be described as a 'dubious' par 5 :D I'd have had another birdie if the flag was out too, drained one right into the pole and it bounced it out the cup.

I'm made up, I was pretty wayward off the tee but once I got within 50 yards I discovered my short game (which was always my strong suit) hasn't left me, chipped and putted like a dream.

Beginners (returners) luck I'm sure, but I'm back and I can't wait to play again :)
Welcome back.