I played for the first time today in 50+ days and …...

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thought this needed its own thread for comments on our first round back.

I was one of the first ones out at Pyrford this morning (pulling rank as Captain of course!) - first shot really ropey as trying to remember how to swing a club. Then somehow shot level par for the front nine and +3 gross overall. Where did that come from?

We have taken white tees away to promote social golf - all the essential distancing options - starting on the 10th because it is right by the clubhouse window. But hey - GOLF IS BACK!!! (Sorry Scotland/NI)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Good to see it starting back, In NI our first phase will allow fourballs so cant wait! just hope we havent faffed the holes upside down when there are easier solutions out there.

D

Deleted member 3432

I was one of the first ones out at Pyrford this morning (pulling rank as Captain of course!) - first shot really ropey as trying to remember how to swing a club. Then somehow shot level par for the front nine and +3 gross overall. Where did that come from?

We have taken white tees away to promote social golf - all the essential distancing options - starting on the 10th because it is right by the clubhouse window. But hey - GOLF IS BACK!!! (Sorry Scotland/NI)

Clubhouse leader, thats going to be tough to beat..(y)

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good to see it starting back, In NI our first phase will allow fourballs so cant wait! just hope we havent faffed the holes upside down when there are easier solutions out there.

I don't think we will be allowed fourballs unless our protocol differs from the GUI Republic of Ireland model. But I know that today the GUI have a meeting with all clubs to sign them up to the protocols, so I cant see them being any different.

3 balls at 14 min intervals is what we are going for at Clandeboye.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't think we will be allowed fourballs unless our protocol differs from the GUI Republic of Ireland model. But I know that today the GUI have a meeting with all clubs to sign them up to the protocols, so I cant see them being any different.

3 balls at 14 min intervals is what we are going for at Clandeboye.
Given the gui have to make do with what the government tell them, there could be a temporary split in how it works on the basis it is only temporary. If R went to 1.x in the Republic but stayed below up here, they would find it difficult to shut clubs in Northern Ireland.
As it's a fluid situation though, anything can happen, I'm not sure what difference 3 over 4 has in the grand scheme of outdoor exercise contagion.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Given the gui have to make do with what the government tell them, there could be a temporary split in how it works on the basis it is only temporary. If R went to 1.x in the Republic but stayed below up here, they would find it difficult to shut clubs in Northern Ireland.
As it's a fluid situation though, anything can happen, I'm not sure what difference 3 over 4 has in the grand scheme of outdoor exercise contagion.

Yeah definitely, but what I am hearing for now is that both NI and ROI are going to be under the same GUI restrictions, will know more today once the GUI meeting has finished to see what everyone has signed up to. But i get your point, 3 or 4 doesn't make much difference at all.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Great shooting. Your putting must have been top drawer - and I just can't imagine being able to score anything like that with cup upside down in hole and so coned base of cup sticking up and very visible. I find any length of putt really difficult and it is quite easy for a ball to start to drop then hit the hard edge of the cup just below green level and lip the ball out.

D

Deleted member 3432

It's a stupid game and I'll fight anyone who says different.........

On the subject of "game" it is quite clear that mine is missing presumed on a beach in Jamaica as it certainly wasnt on the course today.
Might be some clubs for sale shortly...unless I ceremonially snap them all over my knee.

Tell us the damage then..

PaulS

Visit site
Good little knock this morning , was amazed at the standard of the course , greens lovely and true - played a match with my mate from the scratch team - he went round 1 under and I was level but I snuck a win on the last. Bit windy out there though.

D

Deleted member 3432

No.....

Have a look in the gloating golfer's thread...I bet Fragger posted in the car park before he left....

The only positive is that I'd have to try really really hard to play worse than that.

Only way is up then (y)

At least you played ;)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Also posted in the gloating golfers thread earlier

Oooo it was nice out there
Course was lush, but windy, but nice sunshine

A certain member who has asked to remain nameless out of huge embarrassment amassed the grand total of 6 points in his 9 holes, losing 3 balls and working hard to achieve his 5 blobs ??

Would you like me to gloat some more?

First time I have played the course in summer conditions, greens were slick, drove pretty well, had 4 par putts which slipped by and blobbed the last, but happy with 14 points,
Plenty to work on and plenty to look forward to

Here’s to the next crushing Victory :)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went round for my last round for a while, was nice and chilled. The course looked good the greens were a bit slow but honest.
Inesis tour 900 ball was good, not so long off the driver but well behaved around the green.
Best hole was the 17th which was a narrow dogleg of 370yards. Played a fade with the 3 wood 240yards, which just opened the green up for a wedge into 130 yards ... then 2 putts as I did not hit the first hard enough ?. I usually struggle on this hole, it’s a real challenge off the tee.